Help

Kindergarten

"No More Letter of the Week" help

>

Garnet Girl

"No More Letter of the Week" help
Old 01-12-2013, 07:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have used Animated Literacy/Alphabet for the past two years and really don't love it! I intend to go back to using "No More Letter of the Week" by Pat Lusche next year. Does anybody else use this book - I really like the gestures that go with the sounds better than Animated Literacy's. My question is . . . if you use it, how do you display the letter boards for each letter? I DO NOT have the wall space to put them up. I did have them on my classroom whiteboard/bulletin board when I used them in the past, but I don't want to give up my whiteboard again. I was just wondering if anyone had any creative ideas that they use.

Thank you in advance!

Jennifer S./KS

Garnet Girl is offline   Reply With Quote

heymrs

Wondering
Old 01-12-2013, 03:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That book is in my shopping cart. I've been wondering how others like it. I'm looking forward to reading the responses.
heymrs is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Idea
Old 01-12-2013, 05:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am not familiar with Animated Literacy, but maybe you could do this.

Years ago the K, 1, 2 teachers in my district met and created our own gestures for each letter. We have a clue picture/word for each letter. I made my own wall cards. I also used those pictures to make an ABC chart on a sheet of cardstock for each student. I will try to attach it to give you an example. I used those same pictures to make a ppt. I print it out as a book for each student to keep in their individual book boxes at the beginning of the school year.

If you don't have the space to display all the wall cards at one time, maybe you could make a small flip chart to hang? Have you thought about making one poster-size ABC chart with the Animated Literacy pictures to display? Another idea might be to hang them underneath the chalkboard tray.

Dr. Jean has the Alphardy Song. I love the song, but wanted my students to use our pictures/gestures. (For example, we use exercise for short e and students make fists and pump their arms "to exercise." I think Dr. Jean uses elbow. We didn't feel that the students could isolate the /e/ when it was combined with /l/.) So I added the jeopardy music to the ppt so we could sing it, too. As we sing the song, we make the hand sign for each letter. Then we say the sound three times as we do the gesture for that sound.

For example:

For Aa, while we sing "Aa for apple" we show the handsign for Aa. Then while we sing /a/, /a/, /a/, we pretend to hold an apple and take bites.

For Bb, while we sing "Bb for bounce" we show the handsign for BB. Then while we sing /b/, /b/, /b/, we pretend to bounce a ball.

I hope this gives you some ideas that you can use.
Attached Files
File Type: docx Alphasounds Alphabet Chart 2012.docx (548.9 KB, 65 views)
iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Latingirl42

Power Point
Old 02-05-2013, 05:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hi Iteach, i was wondering if you could share your pp for this idea?

thank you!!!
Latingirl42 is offline   Reply With Quote