Help

Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

violent six year old

>

pixiesue

violent six year old
Old 01-17-2013, 05:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am daily saddled with a six year old who is extremely violent towards everyone. I don't know her home invironment and frankly I don't care, everyone in the daycare knows how she is and My afternoons are spent keeping her from hurting the other children. I cannot do any classwork or read a story, even going out to the playground is a nightmare. I am currently keeping a journal on her. My director says when I get enough then She will be removed from the center. But in the meantime I have to physically hold her to keep her from hurting the other children. Praise for the infrequent moments that she is being good usually brings a sneer and a return to the violence. I know she needs help but what can I do?

pixiesue is offline   Reply With Quote

Valone

Old 01-19-2013, 05:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

A six year old. She is in a childcare center? I would suggest asking permission to contact the child's kindergarten or first grade teacher.
If she is not in school, why? Again, ask permission to contact the school district and ask for a school psychologist or EEN teacher to come and observe the child.
Valone is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 01-19-2013, 06:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Unless you he childcare center is part of the public school/county/state program there is no reason she needs to stay until there is enough data. If the daycare is private, they can have whomever they want for however long they want.
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

pixiesue

Old 01-20-2013, 05:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It is a private center but most of our families are titleXX (Which means the childcare is state paid) She comes after school and into my room with the other school agers because their is no other place for them

Valone

Old 01-20-2013, 09:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Then I would get permission from the parents to contact the girls teacher. Although I could give you generic advice, the teacher USUALLY knows the child and situation better and has already tried things.
I work with child care centers all the time.
My previous 'career' was training child care workers to work with the disabled children within their centers.

coppsma

State licensed?
Old 01-20-2013, 12:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Is the childcare center licensed? I am surprised that the other children have not complained to their parents. In my state parents would complain to the director or they would call children services (which oversees day care licensing) if the director did not take action. If the director is worried about enough documentation, perhaps the licensing rep would come and observe. The reps are very busy, but this is a part of the job that they like - giving advice, observing on a non-licensing visit, or even giving the director the nod to remove the child from the center if it is the best way to assure the safety of the other students.
coppsma is offline   Reply With Quote

pixiesue

coppsma
Old 01-20-2013, 01:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Yes we are licensed and getting Childrens services called is one of my worries. Another is simply losing children because of this. Parents don't like coming in and seeing their children staring wide eyed at a screaming thrashing child being held by a teacher, this means the parent can't talk with me as well as feeling their own children are not being taught well. I can't seem to make the boss/owners understand this. They say I should find a way to help her....I am a teacher of preschool/prek not a child therapist. I think they are asking too much of me

HorrorHigh

Old 01-23-2013, 12:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Wow. How ridiculous. Perhaps the problem isn't with the child but with your director? The director should be the one handling this child when she becomes violent, aggressive, or just completely unmanageable. Maybe you should reconsider your position with this company before YOU get hurt.

I taught kindergarten in public school. Had a violent child throw furniture at me, punch me, and try to stab me with an open paper clip. When my principal suggested I bribe the little sweetie with M&M's I knew it was time to go. If administration won't back you up it's time to go...
HorrorHigh is offline   Reply With Quote

Valone

Old 01-23-2013, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Quote:
screaming thrashing child being held by a teacher
I have three teaching licenses, two in special education. I have taken courses in EBD and non-violent crisis intervention training. Without those, it is not advisable to physically restrain a child. When I have a child where physical intervention of any kind is needed, there is significant documentation required. This documentation needs to be approved by administration and the child's guardian.
Just saying, be careful. Social services and the local police have, on more than one occasion, indicated this in not something any school workers should be doing.

pixiesue

thanks
Old 01-24-2013, 05:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

It is a concern for me, getting hurt, but I didn't realise I might actually get into trouble for it! What a weird world we live in.

classmom75

agreee with Valone..
Old 02-06-2013, 01:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

i would write up every incident ( time, date, cause and how u handled it)and encourage director to expell her before she hurts another child and you and center get stuck in the middle or sued. I would also call child services cuz maybe her behavior is linked to abuse at home she is either witnessing or being subjected to. I am shocked other parents have not demanded her dismissal. i know if my child was in a class with a violent kid i would have gone to director and said either violent kid is gone or my child will be and you can be sure i won't be only one to leave...
classmom75 is offline   Reply With Quote

EarthMonkey

Old 02-15-2013, 11:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

In the state I live in if you are injured by a child there are strict rules on how it is dealt with. Check your ed codes. I also would contact CPS. A child is not extremely violent without medical or emotional reasons. I would ask for training on restraint and if your supervisor refuses to provide it then tell admin you will remove all other children and they can come and control little wild one since you choose not to be liable for restraining the child with no training.
EarthMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote