The Job Search

It's KFC for me!!!

>

Hire Me!

Hire Me!

It's KFC for me!!!
Old 08-23-2007, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Well another summer and with school starting monday everywhere, I have no job = AGAIN. This makes my 3rd year. To think I spent over $30 thousand in school to earn my certificate only not to have a job.
With 4 middle school endorsements, too!!! Science, Social Studies and Language Arts.

I have decided to not sub - I have been doing it over four years, full time. I am tired of being a baby sitter with no respect. So, I guess on Monday I will make the rounds of fast food places and Wal Mart for a job. Great -- can't wait. Hopefully by Monday I will be able to stop crying.

I am so jeolous of all of you who were able to find teaching jobs but I am happy for you. For me, it is not meant to be, and it is too bad because it caused a LOT of stress on my family, and bills to pay. My husband constantly throws it up to me.

So, I guess its KFC or Burger King.

linny22

KFC all the way!!
Old 08-23-2007, 07:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Good luck! I'd go with KFC, they seem more prestigious than Burger King. See if you can get me a job there too!
linny22 is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsG

Old 08-23-2007, 07:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hey, Hire Me. Where do you live? I know of an English MS position that they are having trouble filling. They are even offering a hire bonus.
MrsG is offline   Reply With Quote

Polly J.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Have you considered applying/taking a classified position like Title 1 or a special education aid. This would at least get your foot in the door, plus you will still be teaching, even if you do not get your own classroom. Also, if you are up to it, I'd be willing to bet that plenty of private preschools are looking for help. Around here, they always seem to be.

Point is...don't give up. It is not personal, nor a reflection of the kind of teacher you are. Keep trying.
Polly J. is offline   Reply With Quote

Red Square

Same here
Old 08-24-2007, 03:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have also just spent 30 grand on a degree that is useless. I have 2 kids in school and a husband with a job so I can't move either. The districts near me will NEVER hire a teacher out of a para position. If you leave and get a certification maybe, but never from the position. Subbing is different, but who can afford that especially after spending that huge chunk of change.

I have tried everything I can think of to improve my interviews. Everyone else I know got hired.

I feel terrible. I wish I had gotten a degree in anything else.

Red Square is offline   Reply With Quote

Evergreen

Old 08-24-2007, 04:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

SIgn me up for the club too! I went back for my cert after being out of college for several years. The worst part for me is that I'm a single mom, so we're stuck living with my parents-again!

I don't understand how I didn't get any interviews (I got 2). I have a 4.0 GPA, excellent references from excellent and well known educators in our county, and I missed no more than 5 points on each of my Praxis exams (on the first try). I just don't get it!
Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote

marybs

Welcome to Walmart
Old 08-24-2007, 05:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

and handing out smiley face stickers is starting to look like my future!! I haven't found a job either and can't even get interviews for other types of jobs. My husband is in the Air Force so we move here and there. We were in CA for 3 years and wanted to stay but had to move to Delaware. Now I'm back to square one starting low on the totem pole and trying to get my foot in the door. We just have to stay positive and know that something will open up for us.
marybs is offline   Reply With Quote

Red Square

where in DE?
Old 08-24-2007, 06:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I hear they are not hiring because of a huge budget issue left by the former superintendent. If you are in the Northern part of the state try Cecil County MD and Oxford, Southern Chester County PA.

I hope you get something.

marybs

Thanks Red Square
Old 08-24-2007, 07:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I'm in Dover, Delaware. Don't know how far those are from me but something to look into. Thanks again!!
marybs is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach'n'Learn

Old 08-24-2007, 07:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
I feel terrible. I wish I had gotten a degree in anything else.
If you really do think that way, and that's not just frustration talking, then do it. I spent (way more than you did) on a degree in a field I no longer have any interest in being involved in. So [omit long story here] I became a teacher. For the credential, including tests/classes/books/etc. it'll cost me about $10,000 altogether.

It's totally worth it to be doing something I want rather than griping about how much I hate what I studied to do. Yes, it stinks to be out the money for my original, but what would I rather do? Stick with something I don't like (and frankly am not particularly good at) because I spent money on it or change course and do something I love and would do even if I got paid nothing (which, at my current private school is almost true )?

Teach'n'Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
jazzer

jazzer

Sorry
Old 08-24-2007, 09:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I am sorry that so many of you have been struggling to find teaching jobs.

Some of you ask why when you have 4.0 GPA's and high praxis scores. I think when it really comes down to it, those things do not matter much to principals becausing knowing information is not the same as putting the knowledge to use. Some can transfer the knowledge into practice, others struggle with it. Many believe that experience is the best teacher and a lot of my teaching colleagues agree with that.

Unfortunately I hear all too often that it sometimes is not the one who wows administration at interviews who gets the grease, but the one whose brother teachers there, etc. You get my point.

I guess all of you should keep trying to get commections any way you can whether it be to sub in a district, or try to join professional organizations where you may meet principals and other sin the educaiton field.

Evergreen

Old 08-24-2007, 10:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

There are ZERO positions in Chester and Delaware Counties in PA. I contacted each and every HR department of each and every school district in both counties between yesterday and today. Nothing elementary, unless you are interested in day to day subbing.
Cecil COunty MD....let's just say I left there because the town and schools were disgusting!
Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Red Square

I believe you
Old 08-25-2007, 06:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

No offense to anyone in Cecil County.

mentorteach

Old 08-25-2007, 06:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

There were 800 new hires in my county, Loudoun, in northern VA. Starting pay with 0 yrs. and just a BA is $42,289 and with a master's, $46,000. We get a lot of recruits coming down from DE and PA, even NY. It's a great area, near DC but far enough in the suburbs that you are dealing with nice, new communities and supportive parents with a lot of education. I am on year 13 and making $65,016 with nice benefits--just moved back to the area (started my career here and in Fairfax Co. next door, whose pay is even higher) from the Chicago north shore. You don't have to know anyone, grease any palms...just be a great teacher with a lot of enthusiasm, content knowledge and solid references. If any of you could move down, think about it. There are actually several PA teachers I know who literally drive the 2.5 hours or so each way just to come down until something in PA opens up. The area has lots of urban nearby things to do and the western Loudoun countryside is gorgeous with the Blue Ridge Mts. and wineries, horses, etc. Housing is quite expensive, but the further out you live from DC and the Fairfax area, the more affordable. I just can't say enough about the school system: organized, great prof. development opps., lots of brand new schools opening up every year, low-crime...
mentorteach is offline   Reply With Quote

newbieteach

Loudoun County
Old 08-26-2007, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

For the person that teaches in Loudoun County, did you know someone in the schools before you were hired? I have tried applying in that county for 2 years and I have gotten nowhere. I applied last year with no experience. I understand why I didn't get an offer with no experience. I also applied this year with a year experience. I graduate from college with a 3.5, awesome references, member of two honors societies... They didn't give me the time of day. I was just wondering how these people are getting jobs there so easily.
newbieteach is offline   Reply With Quote

stephanie

me too!
Old 08-26-2007, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I also spent a great deal of time trying to get a job! My DH got transferred and I decided to NOT sub for the first year that we moved - I was told by my ex-cooperating teacher that the reason I had not been hired in my previous district was that I was a good sub and they knew that they could keep me subbing if they did not hire me full time. Long story short, I got three job offers the spring after we moved. It meant a year with no job and that was hard, but I now work full time. I don't know if it was luck, a new area, or what... that made me get the job, but it was totally worth the wait!!!! Teaching is the best job in the world. So... keep trying - even if you have to do something else in the interim. Good luck! I am sure that things will work out for you in the long run no matter what you decide to do.
stephanie is offline   Reply With Quote

h0kie

Northern Virginia too
Old 08-26-2007, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I just got a job in Northern Virginia, too. I didn't know anyone in the county but I did sub one day for the school that hired me. That subbing job got me my job.

I agree with mentor teach about the professional development, new schools, and low crime. There are several new teachers at our school from PA.

So far, I'm very happy in my new district. I'll decide for sure once I get kids.

Even though real estate is outrageous, it's been a great move for us.
h0kie is offline   Reply With Quote

mentorteach

No Nepotism here...
Old 08-27-2007, 02:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

With 800 new hires, some of whom were recruited from Australia, England and everywhere you could think of in the U.S., no, I think it's safe to say you don't have to "know someone." Did you at least get a call for a screening interview? Did you apply early on, like Feb. or March? Attend a job fair?
mentorteach is offline   Reply With Quote

newbieteach

Loudoun County
Old 08-27-2007, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I actually went to a job fair and had a screening interview. I really don't think it went too bad either. Oh well... if I hadn't moved to the county I am in now I wouldn't have met my fiance. So I guess everything happens for a reason!
newbieteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Sensei-Rogue

KFC's for the birds.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I hate to be a wet blanket on your desire to work for KFC, but, having worked for them in years past, I didn't find it very rewarding, unless you really like chicken. The work hours didn't appeal to me, and walking around on greasy floors wasn't much fun either. However, they do offer better benefits than sub Teaching, which in my school district is none at all. Good luck though, and FYI you won't find out what the Colonels 11 herbs and spices are, and will be surprized at how much salt is in the breading for the original recipe chicken. on the lighter side, I did learn how easy it is to make buttermilk biscuits.
Sensei-Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote

scottsub

Old 09-07-2007, 11:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

A terrific way to lose all credibility for a teacher is for a student to see them working a low-end job.

What state are you in?
scottsub is offline   Reply With Quote