Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

Question for parents

>

Done13

Done13

Question for parents
Old 03-26-2013, 08:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I don't have any children, but parents in my school have complained. What do you think of this situation? Would it bother you? If there was a child who's mother is a substitute and his grandmother is aide? He constantly is pulled out of the room during nap, because he doesn't want to, to be in the class his mom is in. The principal sees nothing wrong with any of this...

sevenplus

Old 03-27-2013, 02:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would never do it. My ds's preschool class was across the hall from my classroom. Naptime was the only part of the day he didn't like. It never entered my mind to pull him from the room during that time.
sevenplus is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 03-27-2013, 02:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Well, I guess it depends - good for whom?

Is it good for the child? -
No. He's not learning to follow the rules at school.

Is it good for the rest of the preschool class? -
Maybe. If the child has outgrown naps, does the preschool have a policy for what he's supposed to be doing during that time? You can't make a child fall sleep. Maybe the mom thinks she's helping the preschool teacher out because her son is not there to keep the others awake.

Is it good for the mom's class? -
Probably not. When subbing in my child's elementary school, I only had him come to my room to meet me after walkers were dismissed, and that was exciting enough to the kids. I can't imagine how distracting it would have been to the class to have him visiting during the day!
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

harminygrits

Old 03-27-2013, 09:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

How is the preschooler not a distraction to the mother's class (which she is substituting in) or the grandmothers class? I guess if the child's behavior in an older classroom were preventing either person from doin their jobs then she may not allow it-I don't know! I would personally not worry about it--sure he needs to learn to follow the school rules and not learn that he is 'priveledged' over the others in the class, but it's one less non-sleeping child to worry about.
harminygrits is offline   Reply With Quote

RealisticPreK

Old 03-27-2013, 03:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

As a parent I wouldn't care. As a teacher, I wouldn't mind in the least esp if the boy doesn't sleep.

Boy, this complaining sounds like my what I expect to hear from my 4 year olds. It amazes me that parents don't have enough to do that they would be unhappy about this. Live and let live!

RealisticPreK is offline   Reply With Quote

multigrade

Old 03-27-2013, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
He constantly is pulled out of the room during nap, because he doesn't want to, to be in the class his mom is in.
If this was the only issue and it wasn't bothering anybody, it might be okay. I wouldn't do it, though. It teaches him he can run to mom.
But...Do other rules apply to this child? Are the rules different when he's involved? THAT burns me up!
multigrade is offline   Reply With Quote

CowTipper22

nap
Old 03-28-2013, 02:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

This happened at a school I used to work at! The kid always went to her mothers room for nap. In addition, she went to her mothers room when she was hurt, not feeling well and too tired to work. She was in her mothers room for a portion of EVERY day! Our P also saw nothing wrong with this.

She wasn't even my student and I got annoyed.

It is not good for anyone. Another way that we are teaching our children how entitled they are.
CowTipper22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Done13

Done13

Old 03-28-2013, 04:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Yes, the rules are different for him. When we, the aide and I, try to enforce them it always works for a limited time. Then the mom finds some problem and we can't do what was working. He has NO schedule at school or at home. I think the mom sabotages things on purpose. She feels that she will be in the school more if the son needs her. I feel she doesn't respect me, because the son had said "My mom says I don't have to listen to you". For example, today we an Easter party. She brought in these chocolate bunnies. I guess the son, or the grapevine told her, because she's not formally invited to these things because she always make a scene. To be fair, other parents weren't either. It was just us and the other prek. We did eggs and games, because they get too riled up with sweets. During the end of the party must of been her prep, because she came in with these huge chocolate bunnies. Not enough for everyone, because she didn't know it was two classes. Also, our school is no sugar. She starts opening them. I said "We're going to cut them up, because there's not enough and they're not suppose to eat them here anyway." She throw a total fit and took her son to the class she was subbing in. I didn't enjoy the fit, I was glad to have him gone. My username is because of her. I'm not signing the contract when it comes. This will be my last year in that school, because he wasn't supposed to be in prek this year. So, he will be prek again next and the other teacher, who has more seniority, refuses to have him in her class.

Last question, the mom is always coming into my room before I am there. I don't like her in the room when I'm not there. I just have a bad feeling. Should I ask her not to come in or just lock the door? The only reason I don't lock the door is I'd have to leave a half hour later, because if I lock it before the janitor is done cleaning he won't relock it.

multigrade

Old 03-29-2013, 05:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I would stay later and lock my door! It will be a hassle, but will give some peace of mind. I'm sorry you even need to do this, though.

I'd advise that you not bother the P about it (if you really want to stay) and have parents talk to the P about it. Maybe the parents need to get involved.

Allowing different rules for a particular child will destroy a school. SHE'S A SUB! So hard to swallow! (And this is nothing against the good subs I read about on PT.)
Done13

Done13

Old 03-30-2013, 07:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I don't really get it. This district is bananas. All my friends work in different ones and if their aides pulled something like this with child/grandchild, they would be fired and replaced. It's probably because the grandmother is always claiming she will go to the board. She has to be the worst aide ever. Nobody wants her in their class and she's always telling the aides "That's not in our job description, don't do it".

multigrade

Old 03-30-2013, 09:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Quote:
It's probably because the grandmother is always claiming she will go to the board.
Wonder if some parent will go to the board about her? It would be difficult for a teacher to do it.
Done13

Done13

Old 03-30-2013, 02:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I've been thinking of reporting her and the daughter to the BOE on the last day of school. At that point it won't effect me any more.