Help

Fifth Grade

1st Year Teacher

>

kalaharirose

1st Year Teacher
Old 03-29-2013, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Just got the wonderful news that I will be teaching fifth grade for my first year! Curious, what are the top 5 things I should financially invest in for my first classroom? My budget will be roughly $400.

kalaharirose is offline   Reply With Quote

beachygrl

It depends.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Will you be departmentalized or teaching all subjects? What kind of technology will you have available? What sort of supplies will already be in the room? What curriculum will you be following, and how strictly does your school follow it? All of that makes a difference in deciding what you need to buy.

That said, books are always a good investment. My 5th graders enjoy reading about sports & athletes, scientific stuff (especially animals), random facts like Ripley's Believe It or Not, and excellent picture books about history or sensitive topics.

Also, think about what you'll need to be comfortable in your room. A really good chair to sit in while grading & planning is important, and you'd be amazed at how lousy some teacher's chairs are. Will you need a fan or a heater? Is there running water in your classroom? If not, you'll need baby wipes for quick cleanups. Figure out what sort of pen you like for grading, and if it isn't the cheap red ones most districts use, buy what you'll need for that. Will you have enough storage in your room? Or will you need to bring more to supplement what's there?

Congratulations on your new job!
beachygrl is offline   Reply With Quote

kalaharirose

RE: beachygrl
Old 03-30-2013, 04:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Brilliant questions to consider.

I do know that I will be teaching all but one core subject, as they rotate the students for that. I will have access to a SMART Board, computer, ELMO, and my own I PAD mini (which I have already figured out how to connect to the SMART Board!). We do not have clickers yet. I will be speaking with the outgoing teacher very soon, and will check in with him as to what will be left behind. I will also be meeting the team and with the principal next week to learn more about the curriculum.

So funny, I just spent four years of my life studying my brain to the point of exhaustion, yet nothing prepared me for these basic considerations.

Thank you beachygrl for the suggestions and things to consider!
kalaharirose is offline   Reply With Quote

wildcat9

Old 03-30-2013, 08:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Congratulations! I agree with beachygrl that a comfortable chair is something to consider. One thing that I have found very handy in my many years of teaching is a paper cutter. I keep mine on top of my legal size file. Books are always a great idea. There will be many expenses when you begin, and I have found that garage sales are wonderful. I bought a set of encyclopedias, I know old school, but depending on how many computers you have available, they're a good thing to have. I still do a lot of activities with manipulatives with my fifth graders, so I would suggest those as well. Enjoy!
wildcat9 is offline   Reply With Quote

beachygrl

I've thought of more!
Old 03-30-2013, 02:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It's great that you'll have a smartboard & ipad! That said, you'd be amazed at what schools don't provide. Like wildcat9 said, a paper cutter could be handy. I also have a 3-hole punch, because the only one on campus wanders out of the workroom on a pretty regular basis. Many districts don't provide office-type supplies to teachers; things like file folders, sticky notes, note cards, staplers. I've never worked in a district that provided pocket charts, bulletin board stuff, or nameplates for students' desks. Find out about making copies--will you need your own paper or does the district supply it? Is there a printer in your room? If you have windows, how will you cover them?

While it's tempting to fill your room with cute stuff, you need to focus on the functional aspects of your job first. Check out garage sales & thrift shops, and get creative!

beachygrl is offline   Reply With Quote

schoolgirl3

One more vote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

for a sturdy paper cutter, copy paper, and 3-hole punch.
I would add a good pencil sharpener (check the PT site for suggestions.)

Beachygirl's suggestion of by-passing the cute stuff is great. Choose one that you just can't live without, and use the rest of your allocation to buy the "must-haves" because you will find yourself eventually paying for those out of your own pocket.

Other than paper (copier or construction), I would be hesitant to buy anything that is consumable. However, if you need to provide pencils, markers, etc. for your students, start with those items. (The office supply stores like Staples and Office Max are famous for having great back to school sales beginning in July. So if you have to buy those things, try to be patient so that you can get more for your money.)

Congratulations and best wishes!
schoolgirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote