Help

Fifth Grade

Gordon Korman's New Series

>

SnackNapRead

Gordon Korman's New Series
Old 04-28-2011, 09:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just finished reading his new book, Titanic: Unsinkable, and it's GREAT! I already do a small unit on the Titanic when we get to the lessons in Comprehension Toolkit that focus on inference (they use articles about the Titanic) and my kids love it. The first book just came out - the others will appear in August and September to complete the trilogy. I can't wait! I can't decide if I want to do it as a read aloud, or a whole class novel. Hmmm... or even maybe book club circles using his other trilogy titles like the Everst, Island, Dive, and Kidnapped series??

The story is about 4 kids that end up on board the maiden voyage of the Titanic - a stowaway boy who has grown up on the streets of England, a young boy who longs to be near his father who works in the boiler rooms and takes a job as a steward, a young American girl whose mother is a Suffragette, and a 1st class girl whose father is more interested in gambling away the family money than paying attention to the goings-on that take place on the ship. Korman does a great job making all 4 voices seem real and endearing before adding the final cliffhanger in the first book that will guarantee that students rush to read the rest of the series.

Anyways... if you enjoy Korman's other books and the Titanic interests you... check it out! I think I'll start working on some activities to go along with it and I'll be happy to share with my PT friends. Feel free to add thoughts and ideas - I'm just starting to get some things together.

Last edited by SnackNapRead; 04-28-2011 at 04:56 PM.. Reason: Forgot to add storyline!
SnackNapRead is offline   Reply With Quote

shel312

Old 04-28-2011, 02:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I really enjoyed his Island series.
shel312 is offline   Reply With Quote

bookiemushu

Scholastic
Old 04-28-2011, 05:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I was just thinking about ordering some from the Scholastic catalog. You convinced me!
bookiemushu is offline   Reply With Quote

vespergirl

Let's work together
Old 04-29-2011, 04:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

SnackNapRead, I use those same lessons in the Comp Toolkit and I love the idea of doing a Korman novel study using his various books in the series. Would you be interested in working on some lit circle things together over the summer? PM me if you are. Thanks for a great idea regardless!
vespergirl is offline   Reply With Quote

BRONX

sounds great
Old 04-30-2011, 09:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am of to purchase. Snacknapread, you have never let me down with books you have recommended. I have been collecting a lot of his books. Not enough for literary circles just yet. Did the girls love it too?

I used the Comprehension Toolkit a great deal this year. Hope it helps my class as they take the state test this week.

BRONX is offline   Reply With Quote

SnackNapRead

Bronx
Old 04-30-2011, 10:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I just picked it up this week, and I'm on Spring Break, so I haven't had a chance to try it out on the kids yet. There are 2 girl characters and 2 boys, so I'm assuming that it will appeal to both! I certainly enjoyed it!
SnackNapRead is offline   Reply With Quote

BRONX

waiting
Old 05-01-2011, 04:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

It doesn't come out in my area until today or tomorrow. Can't wait to get it.
BRONX is offline   Reply With Quote

nicosipp23

Read-aloud
Old 05-06-2011, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I love this book too! I am doing it as a read-aloud right now and the kids love it! I hope this will get them excited to read the other triologies.
nicosipp23 is offline   Reply With Quote

katchy73

Titanic:Unsinkable
Old 04-10-2013, 07:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I just got the book and was trying to think up some activities myself and ran across your blog.... I was wondering if you ever came up with any ideas for activities and if you are willing to share some of the thoughts still. I just opened the box today and the kids are so excited to see it. They are chomping at the bit to get at the book already and they were getting to walk out the door to go home!
katchy73 is offline   Reply With Quote