Help

Fifth Grade

20 min ELA interview lesson

>

TeachingJen

20 min ELA interview lesson
Old 06-16-2013, 07:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Help! I am interviewing next week for a 5th grade position. I have only taught 3rd grade. I need to do a 20 minute ELA lesson (after a 45 min interview) for a 4th grade class. It was suggested I do something that would review what they learned in 4th grade that I might teach at the beginning of 5th grade. It's whole group and I only have 20 minutes - yipes! Any ideas?

TeachingJen is offline   Reply With Quote

Nessa

ELA lesson
Old 06-16-2013, 07:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would suggest starting with a book you love and reading a snippet. Think about what lesson would go well with that book. Does it lend itself towards a writing mentor text- maybe it has a great beginning? Or does it lend itself towards interesting word choice, character development?

If it is a book you love then that will come across and the kids will enjoy it too.
Nessa is offline   Reply With Quote

rana712

Old 06-16-2013, 10:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Perhaps you could do something with idioms, figurative language or Greek/Latin roots. These are part of the Core Curriculum and I know we spent quite a bit of time on them over the course of the year.

I would also suggest a close reading lesson- but I know that the lessons I have done are closer to 45 minutes than 20. Good luck!
rana712 is offline   Reply With Quote

GiantSubs

I have a fun idiom activity
Old 06-16-2013, 03:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

To build off the previous poster, I type up 25 or so idioms. I fold them up and have the children choose one without looking. They then have 10 seconds to decide if they want to do the one they picked or find someone willing to switch.

On one side of a piece of white construction paper, they write the idiom and draw a picture of what it literally says. So, for "it's raining cats and dogs" they would draw a picture of a child with an umbrella where cats and dogs are falling out of the sky with the rain - you get the picture.

On the other side, they have to figure out what the idiom means, write that across the top, and draw a picture of what it means. So, using the same example, the child would write, "it's raining really, really hard" and draw a picture of a child with an umbrella and lots of blue rain (why rain is always blue I don't know, but it is ).

Some kids know the meaning of a lot of them, while others have to ask a friend or two first. I always ask them when we finish what the point of this exercise was - why would we need to use idioms? That always spurs on a great discussion about adding details to our writing.

It make take a little longer than 20 minutes, or you could only do half the activity - the second half of what it means. It's a lot of fun, and the kids really enjoy it.

Alternatively, I have another lesson I do on the difference between reading fiction and non-fiction called Kisses and Caramel. I give each child a Hershey Kiss and a Caramel. I ask the kids to tell me some of the differences between the two. What I'm after is that Kisses are easy to chew and swallow, while caramel takes a bit more effort to get thru. Same is true for fiction - easier to digest for most kids - and non-fiction - which takes a bit more effort to get down. Then, because they generally enjoy fiction and read it well, I give a lesson using a SS or Science textbook about how to properly read non-fiction text. You preview the lesson by reading the headlines, you read all the graphs and captions under pictures etc.

Good luck!
GiantSubs is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachingJen

Thank you for the wonderful ideas
Old 06-18-2013, 07:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I ended up tweaking a lesson I do that I had read about on this site. I wasn't sure if I should still do it with older kids but I did and it went well. It was a lesson on finding and interpreting similes and metaphors in the song "Firework" by Katy Perry. Loved all of your ideas, can't wait to try them.

TeachingJen is offline   Reply With Quote