The Job Search

Resumes - Seeking change from Secondary to Elementary

>

36912BAX

36912BAX

Resumes - Seeking change from Secondary to Elementary
Old 07-13-2013, 10:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have taught 5 years in middle school (alternative certification, no elementary experience besides tutoring and camp jobs), and I am thinking about making the change to elementary school. I am scheduled to take the Praxis II soon. Currently I am employed in meager summer job, but I did not teach last year due to unwise grad school decision in another field.
I was wondering for those who have made the change from secondary to elementary - how did you modify your resume or cover letter to show interest in the grade level shift?

GraceKrispy

Old 07-16-2013, 10:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I was hoping someone with experience would answer you. I have only known people to go the opposite direction- elementary to middle or high. Maybe google cover letters for elementary school? I guess the main differences would be having to be a generalist (unless you are looking at a departmentalized job where you teach one or two subjects to several classes) and having to teach at a lower level of understanding. Since your resume will list experiences only at the middle school level, I'd want to include something in your cover letter about WHY you are applying to el jobs- are you passionate about increasing understanding? Be honest. Did you have experience where students lacked basic knowledge at the middle school level? You have an advantage in that you have a great grasp of what they will be expected to know in the future, so you can scaffold accordingly. Think of what other advantages you have with your specific experience that most elementary teachers may lack, and highlight those to sell yourself. In some areas, it can be difficult to get a job, period, and you'll need something extra to get a job in an area where you have no experience OR training.

Good luck!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote