Fifth Grade

1st Year Teacher...Theme Help!

>

Lesley21

1st Year Teacher...Theme Help!
Old 06-09-2013, 10:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello!

I am a first year teacher with most of my experience being in 2nd grade and middle school as an aide. I am trying to decide on a theme that is suitable for 5th graders. I am thinking either polka dots/owls or a sports theme. I am leaning more towards the sports theme as I have been able to find a lot of information and ideas online. My only worry is if this sports theme alienates the girls in my future classroom. If I did choose the polka dots/owls theme, would this in turn alienate the boys? I would appreciate any input. Thanks!!!

Lesley21 is offline   Reply With Quote

parker

Themes Advice
Old 06-09-2013, 11:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

from a very veteran teacher. (You may not like this, on the other hand you may be relieved. )

Don't go with a designated theme. Decide on 2 to 3 colors (main & accent) and work with those. That's all, no owls, no polka dots, no sports teams, etc. You will save yourself hours upon hours upon hours of time and money. Your room will be less visually busy and you can showcase student work easily. Bring in a couple of lamps and some plants. Your room will look pulled together and comfortable. Less is often more.

As a first year teacher, you are going to need every single minute you have just to keep up. Creating, buying and changing out theme related "things" eats up valuable time. If you still feel you need a designated theme, wait a year or two until you have classroom management and the curriculum under your belt.

Enjoy your first year, but do not make more work for yourself than necessary this year.
parker is offline   Reply With Quote

vttraveler

Old 06-09-2013, 11:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Unless it is a requirement at your school that every classroom have a theme, follow Parker's advice and skip it.

Look at your Social Studies or Science units for inspiration of what to "decorate" with that can be used as a learning tool.
vttraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Lesley21

Thanks!
Old 06-09-2013, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I will definitely take your advice to heart! I guess the decorating does seem pretty exciting at this point but you absolutely make an excellent point. Thank you!!!
Lesley21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Guest11

Guest11

Same
Old 06-14-2013, 02:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I would repeat the previous advice- but I would also add to not go too crazy with them. Some rooms are so busy with STUFF I have no idea how anyone is able to do anything! And your room is still be cute/pretty/inviting by sticking with a "color" theme!

pink.sparkles

Old 06-14-2013, 03:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I teach 5th and have an owl theme. I agree, if you let it consume you it is overwhelming... But when you do it within reason, a theme is tons of fun! Just about every class in my large k-5 school has a theme.
pink.sparkles is offline   Reply With Quote

Yaz

Pink.sparkles
Old 06-27-2013, 10:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Can you share photos of your classroom or resources you use to do your owl theme? I am hoping to do an owl theme in my classroom and would love some inspiration!
Yaz is offline   Reply With Quote

WorldStarLove

World, Traveling, Transportation.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Hi,

I've used a theme of World traveling for the past 2 years.

I've named my students 'World Scholars" to go with "Mr. W-S' World Scholars".

The kids love it and the parents love it as well because it is unorthodox.

I use a team based culture, so I have the Mariners (Boats), Engineers (Trains) and Aviators (Planes) and they are in teams of 6 (3 boys/3 girls if possible).

Anyway, I had eighteen students both of my tears and I would do plenty of team exercises and it would be easier on me when I needed to do small groups, change out the weekly chore charts and discipline certain team members.

If you want to go this route, go to the flea markets, museums, traveling agencies, other teachers and friends that will give you free country posters, old statues or crafts from other countries and pick up a new language or two while reading cultural stories to the kids.
WorldStarLove is offline   Reply With Quote

hoosiergal88

Tropics
Old 08-12-2013, 06:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I teach 5th grade and have a beach/tropical theme. Being from Indiana...the winters are cold and the kids need cheering up!! It's not overwhelming at all and the kids love it. Tons of great stuff online as well as teacherspayteachers. My friend has an owl theme and she has adorable stuff. Like I said... it's not overwhelming or busy, it's just fun to have cute sayings and everything. Good luck!
hoosiergal88 is offline   Reply With Quote