Help

Gifted Education

Academically Gifted Resources?

>

magoosmom

Academically Gifted Resources?
Old 09-23-2013, 09:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a gifted teacher for grades 2-8 at a small rural school. I start my day at our middle school, then go to the elementary.

Our program underwent a few changes this past year and I am down to one class at the middle school. That frees up extra time for me. While I love having extra time (who doesn't?) I do feel like that time could be used for something more.

My program serves intellectually gifted and we focus on creativity, thinking skills, research, communication, independent learning, and teamwork. I see my students in a pull-out class once a day for an hour.

I would love to create a program where I am pulling out academically gifted students during some of this free time. I would focus on the tested age groups, with the goal of helping them reach or keep their advanced testing levels. I have maybe 4 total hours each week to work with them.

The problem is finding something I can use to work with them that doesn't break the budget. I looked at the M3 program for math skills but that would cost more than my budget can afford to buy just one unit per grade. I have also toyed with the idea of doing a reading group with the brightest kids, but again, I'm not sure a) where to start or b) how to make sure they are getting what they need to improve or maintain their scores.

So I guess any suggestions would be very helpful at this point. I really appreciate it.

magoosmom is offline   Reply With Quote