Help

The Job Search

North Carolina Teachers

>

ST13

North Carolina Teachers
Old 08-20-2014, 06:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi there! I'm trying to research teaching jobs in North Carolina (I'm from NY and thinking of relocating)

I've been looking at the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools job openings just to get an idea and I notice that most of the job titles say a grade range rather than a specific grade or just elementary school....... for example there are a handful that say "Teacher, 4-6 (2014-2015)"

this might be a silly question but I am used to seeing job titles for specific grades or just a general "elementary teacher" ....... I'm assuming "Teacher, 4-6 (2014-2015)" just means I could be placed in either grades 4, OR 5, OR 6 right?

It just confused me because some say Teacher, 4-6 (2014-2015) while others are specific and say Teacher, 3rd Grade (2014-2015)

Sorry I'm probably reading too much into this haha.

ST13 is offline   Reply With Quote

GdHrtdTchr

Teacher 4-6
Old 08-20-2014, 06:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm not from North Carolina so I can't answer how things are there. But I DO know that some teaching positions are multigrade - especially in small charter schools. My friend pulled her daughter out of a charter school because the class was 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, & 8th graders all in the same room w/1 teacher. And, many years ago, when I first started teaching, multi-age classes were the "big thing" that the state was pushing. So, my buddy had 1st, 2nd, & 3rd all in one room. The 3rd graders would graduate & she'd get a new batch of firsties. Basically looping for 3 years.

I'm not saying this is what you are looking at. It could just be that they don't break it down specifically. Maybe they aren't sure yet, because it depends on the student numbers. But it's possible that there's a split or it's one grade this year and another grade next year. I'm meeting a pricipal today. I've taught the same grade for !5 of my 20 years of teaching. Don't think she needs a teacher for that grade. I've learned the school & administrator are more important than the grade, so I'm working mentally on being VERY flexible, even though life would be much easier if I could teach the grade I know best.

Good luck to you!
GdHrtdTchr is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach_Again

Old 08-20-2014, 06:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Well, is there a specific job description? If not, my bet is that that teacher will be teaching all of those specified grades in content specific subjects: science, social studies, or even languages. It also might be a special ed teacher position who will work in grades 4-6 as a push-in or pull-out teacher. I am from NY myself, but I have encountered issues like that.
Teach_Again is offline   Reply With Quote

ST13

Old 08-20-2014, 08:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

No descriptions that I see other than certification requirements etc. Wow I guess being from New York and not being exposed to that I didn't know you could have more than one grade in a room. That must be challenging since the content in certain areas (like math) is so advanced in 6th grade compared to 4th
cargirl38330

cargirl38330

I've worked for CMS
Old 08-20-2014, 11:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

That description means you would teach grade 4,5,OR 6. It would very likely be a grade 4 or 5 classroom since most elementary schools are K-5. They put "grades 4-6" b/c that is one type of certification needed.

By the way, don't be deceived that are 280 available jobs. The newspaper this morning said there are 74 jobs remaining for which principals are still interviewing (206 positions are just waiting formal approval). It's tough to tell which jobs are legit, since I know a couple have been up there since May. But keep on looking, because there is movement on the job board (estimate - for every 5 jobs taken down, 1 is added).

Good luck, I'm still looking for a job in that district.

Cassyree

Retired NC teacher
Old 08-20-2014, 12:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I don't think you're going to have more than one grade. It's a large system with large schools. When the job was posted (many have been there for weeks) the principal may not have known for sure which grade might have had an opening. Existing teachers could be being moved around.

When you see 4-6, it usually is just for one grade and they're advertising for a teacher with upper elementary certification/experience. There was a time when NC had K-3 and 4-6 certificates. I think that has changed to a K-6 certificate, but principals are still looking for teachers who are interested/skilled in a narrower grade range.

I know for sure that one of those openings is a replacement for a young friend of mine who taught fifth grade self-contained last year and took a job in another county just a couple of weeks ago.
Cassyree is online now   Reply With Quote

ST13

Old 08-20-2014, 01:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

okay! that's what I though I just have never seen it worded that way! Thanks!

teachnkids

Old 08-20-2014, 02:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Likely they post it that way because if they get someone who would be awesome in 4th grade they can move someone internally out of 4th to the other spot.

Many teachers,myself included, in NC have been hired for one grade and then it changes. Often it can depend on how the numbers play out. More student in 4th mean we need someone there.
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

ST13

Old 08-20-2014, 03:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thanks for the info....what is protocal for applying in NC ... do you just apply on the website and everything is set up... or should you send/email resumes as well.

I know for NYC schools. Most people I know have gotten jobs because they did both the website and emailed specific principals. So i'm just curious for when I do start applying.

teachnkids

Old 08-20-2014, 03:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have completed the NC online app for teaching. Then I prowl the district sites where I am interested in working and apply to the people mentioned in the listing.

I did make a mistake recently and got a little overzealous! I allied to the person at the centralmoffice , which was listed. Then I looked up the P and sent all my stuff to them. One wrote back a very snippy email about who was handling the applications!

ST13

Old 08-20-2014, 05:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Good to know! Thanks!!

Just because I'm curious and still researching...in your opinions since most of you know NC better than I do. Where is the best area to look for teaching jobs in NC?

By "best" I mean, safe area/district affordable on a teachers salary to live in the area comfortably?

teachnkids

Old 08-20-2014, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Most districts in NC will have good areas to work and others that are true inner city.

Example: Wake County is a huge district. You have Cary, NC included and that is a lovely area to work. Then there are your inner city areas. Some people thrive on those areas. I work in a school that is in a sketchy area, but we are a gifted and talented magnet school. 50% if our population is neighborhood and 50% is bused in at patents choice. Housing at decent rates can be found it most safe areas close enough to jobsm.
trucky1949492

trucky1949492

North Carolina
Old 08-20-2014, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I love living in NC (specifically Charlotte). Great weather, with mountains, beach, and piedmont.

The Triangle is Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill. Raleigh is the capital, it has good amount of American and international diversity. The schools are above average, with only some truly bad schools. Durham schools are urban high poverty (avoid living there unless you work for Duke). Chapel Hill is all about UNC, it is very nice area, but it's impossible to get jobs in that district. Duke-UNC-NCSU are often involved in the news there.

Greensboro, High Point, and Winston Salem (The Triad) is the next major urban area. I haven't lived there, but it's definitely the most conservative and Southern of the cities. I don't know much about the schools, but they are not ranked highly.

I live in Charlotte. I love it. Lot of cosmopolitan and professional feel. Everyone is from somewhere else (rare to see a native Charlottean). They are expanding the light rail. It is 16th largest city in US (800k people). There are unique neighborhoods with their own places/events. The schools are mixture - some are very high achieving with low poverty, some are very low achieving with high poverty, most are in the middle.

If you had to live in NC, I'd pursue Charlotte if you want the true city feel, Triad if you want the Southern feel, and Triangle if you want the college/capital feel.

ST13

Old 08-21-2014, 03:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I've been looking in to charlotte but most of my research has led me to believe that on a beginning teachers salary it will be hard to afford? Any thoughts? Are there less expensive areas nearby that are just as safe?

It's hard when you've lived somewhere (Long Island for me) your entire life and know the ins and outs of different areas, and then think about moving to an area you really don't know much about.

I'm taking a trip to visit in October but still want to research and see what there is.

Thanks for the help!

teachnkids

Old 08-21-2014, 04:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I don't specifically know the Charlotte area for housing, but I am sure there are places/areas to live that are safe for teachers and affordable!

Union County is just outside Charlotte. I did travel to there quite a bit and did workshops for teachers. Lots of new growth in that area and some really nice schools.

I did like the light rail system in Charlotte when I visited there. You could live outside of the main city hubbub and still access it easily through the light rail.

I do love Raleigh and surrounding areas and know more about the area as far as what schools might be better to work.

ST13

Old 08-21-2014, 04:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I'm definitely open to Raleigh as well! At this point I'm open to most areas! My main concern is safety and affordability.

teachnkids

Old 08-21-2014, 04:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I know salaries are lower here, but I also know rent will be significantly less than anything you have on LI!

ST13

Old 09-01-2014, 09:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Hi again!

Been doing a lot of research on NC schools/cost of living etc.

Today I came across something I did not realize. I saw on a the winston salem/forsyth county schools you have to have your praxis taken before applying to jobs even if you are out of state.

Is this the same requirement for all districts? I have a friend who teaches in Lee County, and she did not have to take the praxis tests until after she accepted the position?

Does it depend on the district or is this a state-wide thing? I am thinking of applying out of state next year (still in graduate school so I cant leave until next year) ... but I just figured I would apply to jobs and if I get a full time position then I would worry about the tests. Am I doing things backwards even though I am NY certified?

This is what the website said for winston-salem/forsyth county:
If you hold a license issued in another state, one of the following must occur :

Content area exam (ex. praxis, nte)
Documentation of HQ status in state of licensure

Does anyone have a similar experience relocating from a non-praxis state like NY? The reason I am hesitant about having to take the tests first is if I dont get a job in the state it would be a waste of money?

Just trying to research everything before I decide. Any input would be helpful! Thank you!

teachnkids

Old 09-01-2014, 09:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

If you are serious about moving to NC check out this website for licensure questions.

http://www.ncpublicschools.org/licensure/beginning/

I would apply for my license now. I am not sure if you need the praxis or just proof that you completed a teacher program in another state and have a license from there.

ST13

Old 09-01-2014, 10:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Thanks will look into that!

Originally I thought you could just apply for jobs and then worry about all the license stuff after you got an offer. (This is what happened to a friend of mine) maybe it depends on the district

ST13

Old 09-02-2014, 01:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Those of you who are currently teaching in NC, I would love to pick your brain on the politics/teaching conditions in the state.

Seems like whenever I mention consideration to teach in NC I hear alot about low pay, tenure, unions, respect etc. However, most of these people are not even teachers.

Would love to hear some actual teachers' views on the subject.

My thoughts are, every state is going to have its issues and you just have to figure out which issues are worth it. For example, many people tell me how there is no tenure and you could get fired at any point in NC...well, Long Island is not immune to similar situations just because we have tenure. Yes there is tenure however before you get tenure is just like the saying goes "the last to come is the first to go"... I have heard countless stories of young teachers being let go simply because of budget cuts and that they were the last to be hired. I think when you get yourself into teaching, you are always going to find that its not perfect no matter where you are and what state you are in.

What to do all think? Am I being naive? Those that teach in NC is it really as bad as I keep hearing? I have a friend who just moved last year and she actually really enjoys it and is glad she made the move.

I dont want to be naive, but at the same time I have a feeling in the education world right now there is no such thing as perfection...

teachnkids

Old 09-02-2014, 03:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Quote:
I think when you get yourself into teaching, you are always going to find that its not perfect no matter where you are and what state you are in.
YES! 100 times YES!!!

I had lunch with someone who asked me how it was in the county I just left. UMMM, every county has issues. They may be different, but there are issues everywhere!

Yes, there is no tenure, the salary is lower, and apparently at many schools teachers aren't respected. I have been fortunate to work for good administrators who try to minimize and soften the expectations that the state or district is placing on us.

While pay is lower, you will also find the cost of living is much lower. What would a 1br apt cost on LI? I am quite sure you will find one MUCH cheaper in NC. I have family that live in the NY/NJ area and I grew up there so I know the cost of living difference. We finally got a pay raise this year. Beginning teachers did the best, so now is a decent time to move here. We are still low and some teachers are leaving because of the conditions, but that is happening all over the country.

I love being in education and know there are issues, but really is corporate America free of issues? I think many times the issues come when the admin and parents aren't supportive.

ST13

Old 09-02-2014, 03:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Thank you so much for your input! Glad I am not being as naive as others are making me feel!

I agree that every district will have it's issues. Similarly, I had a friend who actually quit her teaching job right in Queens. Her reasons were semi personal, but a big chunk of her reasons had to do with her administration. From what I have read/heard, there are going to be good/bad administration EVERYWHERE. Should you judge and entire state by that? In my opinion no!

Pay is the thing that worries me most. Simply because this is my first time on my own (besides college) ... Like you said a one bedroom on long island is incredibly high. I work three jobs and I still cannot afford to pay for half of a decent apartment... infact, while researching NC and cost of living, I mentioned to a friend how cheap an apartment in NC was compared to LI... she laughed and said for the price of an apartment in NC (a nice one too) ... you would probably be able to get a bathroom on Long Island.. ... This alone is incentive to move. However, even with the low pay, since I am on my own (no kids) and still young with no major bills like school loans... I think I would be able to do okay...

Like I said, from what I read, no teachers job is perfect but you have to figure out what pros/cons are deal breakers for you.

teachnkids

Old 09-02-2014, 04:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

http://www.ncpublicschools.org/docs/...5schedules.pdf

This link is the state salary guide. I am not sure what the deal is with masters pay. At one point there was talk about not paying for masters if the person hadn't completed the program, so no motivation to go get it in my opinion.

Keep in mind that you will also get a supplement based on the county you work in. The supplements range from 6% (I think that's the lowest) to 15%.

So...as a new teacher with 0 years experince you could earn:

with master pay and 6% supplement: $38478

no master pay with 6% supplement: $34,980

Those are the minimum amounts you will earn. I looked to see what starting teachers in NY make and it said $45,000.

As long as you don't want a penthouse apartment and don't need brand new everything you should be fine! My DD is in grad school and making less than that and has her own apt. She is doing fine financially and furnished her place with lots of thrift store/craigslist finds. She brought her bed from home and a dresser. The only thing she bought new was a couch and chair because we worried about buying those used.

I hope that helps!

ST13

Old 09-02-2014, 04:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

very very helpful! thank you so much I really appreciate it.

Yes, I have read mixed things about masters. In NY you are required to get your masters within 5 years of your undergrad or you can lose your certification, so to be honest that is my only reason for starting it right after college, I didnt want to wait too long.

Obviously masters pay would be great if they will offer it to me, but I think I would be okay without it need be.

Nope don't need brand new everything... I would definitely bring as much stuff from home as possible and limit my spending as much as I could as far as apartment things.

My requirements are just a safe neighborhood and a affordable apartment.

teachnkids

Old 09-02-2014, 04:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

I really think you would like it! I think I have said before, most come with the intention of leaving with a few years experience under their belt. Many never go back! The winters are typically much better here!

LotsOfHope

Just my experience
Old 09-03-2014, 05:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

I teach second grade in rural North Carolina. I am not from here, but moved here with my military husband. I have taught here for 3 years, and it is beyond frustrating. Low salaries are the least of my complaints. There are so many problems I do not know where to start. Perhaps these problems are everywhere in the US. I have no idea. No textbooks or resources in my district. No copies. We lost our art teacher two years ago and many teacher assistance. We spend at least 5 weeks testing the students. The state seems to change their mind often about what we should do. The first year I was here we had one set of standards. Now we have common core and next year we might have something different. In my district there are not enough people to get the jobs done. Not enough in the district office, not enough in the school office and not enough teachers or teacher assistants. Also there are the charter schools and schools of choice. These schools are taking all the kids with good families out of the regular schools. So our school is left with kids with issues. 11 out of my 22 students have a PEP's and I am supposed to monitor that, but I don't have any materials I am supposed to use. They want you to move the kids through the levels so they can get tested, but they don't have enough spec ed teachers to help when they find problems. I spend tons and tons of time figuring out what I am supposed to teach and then how I will teach it. My students need someone to help them, because most of the families are not able to help. I feel I am failing them, because I have too much to do with little support. I love my job. I truly do. It consumes my life. I consider it missionary work. I keep hoping the state and my district will figure out what they want me to do , or leave me alone. It is a mess. I keep teaching because I feel God put me here to help each individual child and I will do what I can to pull them into my happy bubble. It doesn't help. They still have parents in prison and all sort of crazy problems. But I let them know that for this school year I believe they can do great things. I am happy to be in North Carolina teaching, because I have a teaching job. I would love to teach my students in a state that has their act together. Do any states? I do not know.
LotsOfHope is offline   Reply With Quote

LotsOfHope

my pay
Old 09-03-2014, 05:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

.... and I have been teaching 5 years. The paycheck I received this month was $1,928. I do not have any money taken out for insurance, because I am a military spouse. THANK GOD! This is a 10 month salary spread over 12 months. So glad my husband has a good job and I do not need to earn much money.

ST13

Old 09-04-2014, 09:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

LotsOfHope: Thank you so much for sharing your experiences. I am sorry that you are going through that without the support you need.

Unfortunately, conditions are very similar here in NY... though it really depends on the district you are in... I have heard countless stories similar to yours about lack of resources, staff etc. Also, there are tons of areas here with little to no parent support. It's very sad. Based on your experiences and similar experiences I have heard from people I know around here I think you really have to get lucky in the district/area you get a job in. Some are very low like you are saying and then others are the complete opposite ... Unfortunately I think that is the case in many states ... teaching right now is just hard..

Would you mind if I asked you what area of NC you work in? Also, what is a PEP? is it the same as an IEP?

driventoteach

Old 09-04-2014, 01:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

I'm confused... I thought that you couldn't waive nc teacher health insurance unless you were grandfathered in?
driventoteach is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 09-04-2014, 03:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

Quote:
I'm confused... I thought that you couldn't waive nc teacher health insurance unless you were grandfathered in?
I don't know about being able to waive it, but I could have just done the minimum coverage that is free. It may be different if you come here as a military family.

Quote:
No textbooks or resources in my district. No copies. We lost our art teacher two years ago and many teacher assistance.
I don't know where LotsOfHope teaches, but it is not like that everywhere. I think it depends on the district. I have not worked in any school that didn't have an art teacher. Teacher assistants have been cut, but many schools in my home district are opting to use flex money(money they can choose how it is spent) on assistants.

I think you need to research and find out what the districts offer. I would ask for what resources they use and have available when interviewing. I would also ask if they have a pacing guide for teachers. I have seen some crappy ones and some excellent ones. My last district had an awesome one. A new teacher could follow the pacing guide and do a great job all year!! It has a lesson plan guide and resources to print for student activities.

ST13

Old 09-04-2014, 05:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

yeah definitely going to do my research! I think it really depends on the district in ANY state you teach in.... today I spoke to a teacher who teaches in Queens and she was telling me very similar stories ... but then if you drive an hour in to Long Island.. you will find the complete opposite. It also has to do with how much support you get from administration... there are a lot of factors that come in to it.

What is a pacing guide? We dont have that in NY .. unless its called something different.

driventoteach

Old 09-04-2014, 11:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

That's what I thought. For 80/20 coverage there is a premium but for 70/30 there is not. I just didn't want the poster to think she could make more money if she waived insurance, because I don't think you can anymore.

LotsOfHope

Old 09-05-2014, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

Honestly, I am new to North Carolina and only know about my district. I teach in Granville County and I do not have health insurance with my job. I can't imagine it was grandfathered in since I have only been teaching 3 years. I just didn't sign up for it. ? Not sure if I told them about my military insurance or not.

A PEP is the student intervention plan when they are struggling. There are three different levels they go through before they get tested. You have to progress monitor and track data.

driventoteach

Old 09-06-2014, 03:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

Everyone is defaulted to 70/30. It can be changed during open enrollment. Not only that, but the state itself pays for it.

http://www.ncpublicschools.org/docs/...ts-summary.pdf

ST13

Old 09-06-2014, 08:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

Gotcha! thanks!

Never heard of PEP, in NY we call that process RTI (Response to Intervention)... I always thought that term was used nationally, not just statewide but I guess it's just the same thing with a different name in other states! Good to know!

LotsOfHope

Old 09-06-2014, 12:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

So am I insured through the state and don't know it. No money comes out of my paycheck and I have never seen anything from any insurance company. Now I am confused. I will ask about this on Monday, but I am positive I do not have any insurance except with my husband. odd

driventoteach

Old 09-06-2014, 01:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #38

No money comes out unless you opted for 80/20... The state pays for the health insurance under the 70/30 plan, no money deducted which may be why you think you do not have it.

I would ask.

hopey_glass

Check out the district carefully
Old 09-15-2014, 02:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #39

I would check out the district carefully. My district laid off many teacher assistants and now 1st grade has no teacher assistants. A full-time teacher's job was cut and she was put in as a teacher assistant for kindergarten. I would look for a well-funded district - you can see how much the district spends per pupil online. I do see a lot of openings in local rural districts for special education, math and science.
hopey_glass is offline   Reply With Quote

ST13

Old 09-17-2014, 07:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #40

will definitely do my research! Thanks!