Use of social stories with entire class? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

Use of social stories with entire class?

>

I teach K!

Use of social stories with entire class?
Old 09-26-2015, 02:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am fairly familiar with using social stories with individual students. I am thinking of trying a social story with my entire class. My morning class is really struggling with cleanup after centers. I have tried setting expectations, modeling, trying to beat a song but it is still a struggle. Has anyone done a social story with the whole class?

I teach K! is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherpippi

Old 09-26-2015, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Yes! They seem to work so well. Kids like stories about themselves. I find that kids read and reread social stories.

What part of clean up are they struggling with?

Two things that have worked for me: have a picture of the area clean and do a lesson on noticing what's out of place and having two kids per day as rovers to help kids notice what needs to be still cleaned. I've given out hard hats and they're like a construction boss. We did a lot of work on how to nicely notice/request.

ETA: One more thing I thought of- for an individual student, I've also done photographed steps of what to do. Maybe having cleaning posters with steps for each center?
teacherpippi is offline   Reply With Quote

Gimet

Old 09-26-2015, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Another Yes! We used a social story for taking turns. I made a little book using photographs of students. Verbal prompts helped, also.
Gimet is offline   Reply With Quote

I teach K!

Clean up struggle
Old 09-27-2015, 07:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

In this particular class, I have a lot of students who have never had to clean up and many of them have very very few toys/materials at home.

I have all of the bins and shelves labeled with pictures of what needs to go where. We meet and review clean up after it happens. I reward students who clean up. Our biggest problem is the stopping. My instructional assistant and I go around and help, making sure that everyone stops playing and starts cleaning up, but by the time we make it around the room, the first groups we visited have started playing again sometimes in different places. I have tried stationing myself at a particular center until it is cleaned up and I send those students to the rug to wait. When I move to the next area, the group that was on the rug moves to another area and takes out additional items.

When it Is just a couple of students, I can work around it until they learn appropriate clean up behavior. I feel like I am struggling this year because it is about 12 out of the 20.

I will try the social story idea and see how it works.

Thanks!
I teach K! is offline   Reply With Quote
Prekteach13

Prekteach13

Old 09-27-2015, 11:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Last year I had an extremely difficult class with 13/16 students having a diagnosed behavioral disorder (I teach preschool special ed. ). I ended up doing LOTS of whole group social stories. Although I still did individualized ones for students who had more specific needs, but I found that addressing issues with some whole group stories was really useful.

RealisticPreK

Old 09-28-2015, 04:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Is there a good website anyone can recommend for free social stories?
RealisticPreK is offline   Reply With Quote

Gimet

Old 09-28-2015, 10:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Carol Gray is a good resource for social stories. She has free ones. (I tried to post a link, but it didn't work.) The ones on line were usually too wordy for my students (ECSE) so I ended up creating my own. ie. "When the bell rings, it means clean up. I stop playing. I put toys away. I sit at Circle Time."
Hope this helps!

RealisticPreK

Old 10-01-2015, 06:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thanks, Gimet. I have a mix of very young and almost-a-year older kids this year. I have to model way more this year than ever before. These social stories sound like such a great idea. Do you just read them a few times to your students?
RealisticPreK is offline   Reply With Quote

Gimet

Old 10-03-2015, 09:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I read some. Also used the concept in the Question of the Day with role playing and verbal prompts. (For example, "What do you do if you want the fire engine and some one else has it?" Go up to them and say, "Car, please." Desired response is "Sure.") Strange, but effective!

Dan

shelf covers
Old 10-10-2015, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Until people can clean up the way you want, you might consider practicing with just one item. Role play a mess of blocks, the song is sung, and you pick two people to show how to clean up. When it is clean, the cover goes on the tub or shelf.

I've used rolled up butcher paper or sheets to cover shelves, and then only uncover one section or one option at a time until the group is ready to have more choices. The paper is unrolled down once the toy is cleaned up, so no one is tempted to get it back out since it is "All done."

Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

PPCDTeacher

Old 10-10-2015, 08:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I do a lot of social stories with my kindergarteners. They have no social skills. I use the stories to teach them all sorts of things. Some i write, some i just find story books.
PPCDTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
acornteach

acornteach

I agree
Old 12-08-2015, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I agree that children are coming in with very poor social skills. My pre k kids have no idea how to play with block and many other toys appropriately. I have been shocked by their lack of ability to play constructively. They throw blocks and hit each other with them. I've done a few whole group lessons on what you can do with blocks and how to play with them appropriately. The modeling has helped, but I still see some children reverting to their old ways. I think I will try the social story or whole group modeling idea with clean up. Even though I have all tubs and shelves labeled , they still can't seem to figure out where to put the toys at clean up time. They end up throwing them or stuffing them all in one box. I have returned to pre k after 8 years at the elementary level. Children have really changed and the lack of social skills has amazed me!