ESL/LEP

Aspiring ENL Teacher :)

>

JessSickah

Aspiring ENL Teacher :)
Old 10-25-2015, 09:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi everyone!

Long story short. I am currently subbing and interviewing for various jobs, mainly ENL positions. I just received a long term sub position as an ENL teacher while they hold interviews for the permanent position. I will also be interviewing for this position. I start Wednesday and they have a sub right now but she is not certified. They would rather have a certified ENL teacher as the long term sub.

My question is: What can I do to prepare for Wednesday or what can I bring on Wednesday? I have no knowledge of grade levels or language levels. I will find out more on Wednesday but I am not sure if I am gradually transitioning or if I am going to be teaching on Wednesday.

I am extremely nervous, yet excited as well Thank you.

JessSickah is offline   Reply With Quote

wisechoice

Question
Old 10-25-2015, 09:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Could you clarify? What does ENL stand for?
wisechoice is offline   Reply With Quote

JessSickah

Old 10-25-2015, 01:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

English as a New Language! Sorry, formally ESL (English as a Second Language).
JessSickah is offline   Reply With Quote

AnnaEFL

Old 10-27-2015, 01:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hi Jessica!

So, it's the first time they're studying English?

If not, you could play games for revision.
There is a fun activity they always love and I usually use: Divide the whiteboard/chalkboard in two and make two teams. It's like a race, the first in line has to write, when you say a new word, the next one, and so on.
If their first language is Spanish, you could say random words in Spanish and they'd have to translate them into English
If it's a multicultural class, say them in English so you can check their listening and writing at the same time.

Other cool game for revision: pick a topic (food/clothes/weather/school supplies), grab a ball and start by saying a word "banana", and pass it to a student (he/she must say a new word), then he/she must pass it too, and so on. They can't repeat words.

Hope it helps!! (and I explained myself correctly! lol)

Anna.
AnnaEFL is offline   Reply With Quote

K12ESLteacher

Routines!
Old 01-15-2016, 08:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Spend this day to just getting to know the kids.
Teach your routines and expectations, or review the expectations already set. You need to let students know you are their teacher for a while and it is important that you have clear expectations so students are held accountable for. Then you can think of activities that will help you and the kids bond.
Most importantly, learn as much as you can about the students' academic and language levels. It is paramount that you differentiate accordingly. This is the best way to showcase yourself as an effective ENL teacher when you show you can differentiate for all language levels. Finally, think of assessments to do, and periodic cycles to do in listening, speaking, reading and writing. Check out WIDA website for language standards and awesome rubrics!

Best!

K12ESLteacher is offline   Reply With Quote