Help

Fifth Grade

BEST Organization for Fifth Graders

>

Meggie11

BEST Organization for Fifth Graders
Old 05-18-2010, 02:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We're coming to the end of another school year. I'm at the point in the year, where I'm just ready to close shop, re-vamp some things, and start fresh again. So, with that in mind, I'm considering some different ways of organizing my students' papers. (My supplies list is due in just a few weeks.)

How do you keep your kiddos organized?

I've heard of all sorts of different ways... binders, color-coded folders, and accordian files. I'm considering using any of the three.

This past year I tried using binders for the first time and found that they were successful as long as I hounded the kids making them put each worksheet in the correct section. I also ran into problems with broken rings, ripped dividers, and "pocket shovers". However, I did like the fact that everything that the students needed was (supposedly) in one place.

I used color-coded folders with some third graders a couple years ago and found this to be successful as well. Third graders do not have as much paperwork to keep track of and so the load was quite a bit smaller.

A few students who gave up on binders this year switched over to accordian files. For these select students, it worked for them. However, my fear with accordian files is that papers will just be smooshed into any random pocket. Also, one of my accodiran file student's latch snapped off and proved to cause her a lot of difficulty.

What do you use for student organization and how do you make it work?

Meggie11 is offline   Reply With Quote

rbrumlow

Organization
Old 05-18-2010, 03:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

For the past 7 years, I have used binders, but I have been self contained. Next year I will move to the intermediate school, and we will teach in families. I don't know how it will work, but I plan to continue using it.

Robyn in AL
rbrumlow is offline   Reply With Quote

GiantSubs

We used to require binders
Old 05-18-2010, 03:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

and then discovered that students have different ways of keeping themselves organized, so this year we allowed them to do anything they wanted, as long as they could keep it together! The majority of our students still use a 3 ring binder, but I do have some, especially some ADD boys, who prefer the accordian file. I personally like the binder system and that's what I would use, but some kids, especially those paper shovers, like the accordian better because it's faster - no rings to lock and unlock.
GiantSubs is offline   Reply With Quote

tchrpen

color coded folders
Old 05-21-2010, 06:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I use folders, a different color for each subject. I am really anal about this and purchase the folders myself each summer. I want them all to match so that there is no confusion.
At this time of the year the folders are pretty worn. Some have duct tape and/or packing tape on them, but we trudge along. If they really get ratty, I just give them a new one.
My school requires that I have a 3 inch binder for each student with completed assessments and work. These binders are supplied by the school and follow the kids from K-5. At the end of this year, the binders will get emptied and handed down to the kindergarten teachers and the fourth grade teachers will give me binders for my incoming students, with some work already in them.
The binders fill 2 bookcases and are kept in alphabetical order. The theory is that any out of classroom teacher or administrator can walk in to my room at any time and look at a child's progress. The truth is that nobody ever looks at them. They stay on the shelves, unless things need to be put in them. In which case, I have the kiddos add the materials.
That was long and wordy. Sorry. Hope it made sense.
tchrpen is offline   Reply With Quote

beccabell1

Fifth Grade Organization
Old 05-22-2010, 11:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Our fifth graders use color-coded folders and notebooks. Each subject has a different color (i.e. green folder and notebook for science). They also have an agenda book for writing down homework assignments, a homework/notices folder that goes home every night, and a pencil/pen bag. By this time of the year, the folders are definitely pretty worn out, so I always keep extras in the classroom so that students can replace folders that break.

I've used many other organizational systems in the past, but this seems to work very well. Our grade is departmentalized and the students switch classes for science, math, and social studies. The color-coded folders makes getting the appropriate folders and notebooks out for switching classes very easy.

beccabell1 is offline   Reply With Quote

sky22

Folders
Old 05-22-2010, 12:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I also use folders; a different one for each subject. I tried binders but didn't like the noise and that I had to hole punch everything for them.

Folders and notebooks work much better for me.
sky22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Kelly in CA

Kelly in CA

Fifth Grade Teacher
Old 07-17-2016, 01:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

How do you set up the binders? Or do you know a website that gives detailed directions. I really want to keep all their papers for all these subjects organized.