Help

The Job Search

Can't find a job!

>

puakai

Can't find a job!
Old 08-13-2016, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've been a teacher for the past 15 years and I CAN"T FIND A JOB!! Thinking about quitting teaching...

puakai is offline   Reply With Quote

substeph

I don't know what area
Old 08-14-2016, 06:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

you are but I got my teaching degree in 2012 and haven't been able to find a teaching job at all. I work in a different field altogether. But, I always look for teaching/teaching related jobs and this year seems to be the slimmest of all pickings. I don't know if anyone else notices this but there is NOTHING out there at all. Teaching has become the most oversaturated profession around at least here in PA

Hope you find something soon. Good Luck
substeph is offline   Reply With Quote

Cinderella00

Job searching
Old 08-14-2016, 06:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It's tough to find positions in teaching. I lucked into a position right out of college years ago, then took time off to raise my son. When I returned it took me 5 years of searching, subbing and working as an IA to finally get a position. I got hired a couple of weeks into the school year when I decided that maybe I could teach spec ed, even though I didn't have a license for it. I got an emergency license and the job. Of course I had to get the spec ed license to keep the job.

Hope the perfect position opens up for you.
Cinderella00 is offline   Reply With Quote

bteach99

I feel the same way
Old 08-14-2016, 10:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Slimmest pickings ever, not sure why but by this time I usually have a job.

I am so depressed and feel like the struggle to become a teacher (licensure examinations, school, etc.) has not been worth it. All I want is a teaching job, I am not asking for any freebies!

So I am also not sure what to do.
bteach99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Newbielibro

I feel the pain...
Old 08-14-2016, 03:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It took me four years out of grad school to get my first teaching position. That school wasn't a good fit so I subbed the year after, and almost landed my dream job last year doing that then ended up not getting it... I am giving it another year locally and then will relocate.

Newbielibro is offline   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

We can't hire enough
Old 08-14-2016, 06:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We still have a ton of openings. I know a few principals and they say the candidates just aren't there or the ones who are just aren't quality.

A friend of ours even posted a comment on Facebook. He said something like, "If you know ANYBODY looking for a teaching position, please send them my way". This is in a well known, good school district.

If you can move there are jobs.
tgbwc is offline   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

Here you go:
Old 08-14-2016, 07:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

https://careers.fcps.edu/vl/vacancy.htm

Any questions? Message me.

puakai

Old 08-15-2016, 08:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I live in Colorado. Don't really want to move.
NoelBastable

NoelBastable

Old 08-15-2016, 10:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

It's so disheartening to me that the expectation is that if you want a teaching job, you need to move to another state. It's not possible for everyone, especially people who are married or in a long-term relationship.

bteach99

Also..
Old 08-15-2016, 01:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

It's hard to move when you only have a short term contract. Went on interview today for job until mid October. They are going through rounds and rounds of candidates???

All for one month job.

puakai

Old 08-15-2016, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

WOW! So many jobs! I grew up in Arlington.

tgbwc

Old 08-15-2016, 06:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Sure. Not everyone is able to move, for various reasons. That's why I wrote, "If you can move...". It's not only a career in teaching that might require a move to obtain a job. That can be said for a lot of professions.

I have known plenty of new college graduates with degrees, in addition to education, who haven't taken jobs in their field of study only because they weren't willing to move away from the town in which they grew up. Again, that's not the reason for everyone.

"Don't want to move" and "Can't move" are two different things.

Personally I like the district for which I work and think it's a great area.

basketball777

Old 08-16-2016, 01:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Same issue...I taught 11 years two districts...two schools. I was nonrenewed but resigned due to school downsizing at the latest school and can't seem to get hired....not even in my hometown for a two month long term sub or a part time job. I've interviewed 16 times in the past year(most were last spring/summer). I'm not sure what it is.... Also thinking of changing careers...it's so frustrating and a let down. Although there's a shortage it's not in the elementary grades really or the decent districts.....when I interview they interview at least 10 people it seems...do it's still competitive. Also slimmer pickings this year...it seems many districts in my area pooled applicants instead of individual postings... Also last year my mentor like person told me districts are leaning toward people fresh out of the new common core teaching programs..& taking them over veterans(ironic cuz we have first hand experience w common core).I wonder if that's true..
basketball777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mshope

Years
Old 08-16-2016, 08:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

It took me 8 years to get a public school job. I've done years of subbing, tutoring, private school teaching, cyber schools and more. The upside is that I had multiple areas of certification and a lot of experience when I finally got hired. My advice is get as many certs. as you can. Don't get a master's or you might be too expensive. I had to move several times before I got back home.

It's hard especially when some people seem to "get lucky." I was actually lucky because since I got hired, things have really declined. They try to hire long-term subs instead of full-time teachers to save money. Those of us who are full time are teaching multiple grades and subjects.

If I didn't get my current job, I was thinking of throwing in the towel. For the eight years that I was in limbo, I made hardly any money and racked up more debt going back to school. I will be one of those people who never pays off their student loan debts. Financially, I might have been better off to go into something else. I stuck with it because I love it.
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote

bteach99

I guess that things have changed
Old 08-16-2016, 08:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I was able to get a job with just my CEAS and Provisional licenses. Now I have my standard(s) including Math and SPED, and no dice. The interview I went on gave a math test(easy), which I found odd. I guess people were not able to do third grade math?

Also, lots of candidates for a one month job. I guess I need to sign up for substitute teaching. I am not sure what is going on. Im not picky, and go on all interviews.

Feeling very down about not getting a real job this year.

Can't move, but even if I could not sure I would move for a non permanent job. Not worth it.

MnToCa

Part of me wants to quit teaching
Old 08-16-2016, 12:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I quit a Sales job 5 years ago to go back to school and get a Master''s and license in K-6. 2 years ago I had to move out of the state for a job. I come back looking for a job with 2 years working in a very diverse school learning a ton of stuff and I cannot even get an interview. What was the point spending 60k on a Master''s when i can't get a job.
MnToCa is offline   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

MnToCa
Old 08-16-2016, 01:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

If you moved out of state to get a job why did you move back without having another one lined up?

It sounds like you had one and quit. Is that correct?

Wolfelicious

Old 08-22-2016, 09:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I am in the same boat!! I have been teaching for 14 years and moved over the summer. In my new location I can't seem to find a job! I have always had a job since I graduated school, so this is so difficult for me. It makes me think that I am worthless since I can't find a job, however I have learned that my location doesn't like to hire veteran teachers. They rather hire right from college so their pay isn't as much. It just stinks going to school and I now I have my masters and now I can't find a job. It makes no sense. Anyways, I wrote to tell you I completely understand what you are going through.
Wolfelicious is offline   Reply With Quote

Valone

don't forget salary and expections.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Wisconsin says they need teachers, however with the political climate here- - - I wouldn't bother. I know teachers who had a choice of take a significant pay reduction or leave. The budgets across the state have been severely cut. I won't go back any time soon. I was working 12-15 hour days and it was not enough.
I am so done.
A friend of mine says Florida also is short across the state. I think they have done the same..... can't get staff who will work for what they want to pay. Just IMHO.
Valone is offline   Reply With Quote

kbach

Old 09-02-2016, 09:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I was just about to post this. Yes, there are many Florida districts looking for teachers. The shortages are in the 100s. The problem is that the climate isn't good and the pay isn't commiserate with the cost of living. If a state/district is good, the jobs just aren't going to be there.
kbach is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

I guess it really depends on your area
Old 09-02-2016, 01:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I completed a post-bac certificate program in December 2015, and was picked up within 2 weeks. In fact, all 11 of us in my program were picked up by summer 2016. And I know our district cut 40+ teaching positions. I'm in Alaska, and teacher pay is pretty good.
Also, almost all of my cohort (including myself) were hired at Title I, high-need schools. Many teachers don't want to work in these schools.
MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsWok

Old 09-11-2016, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I'm in NY and things have been scarce for many years but I feel like just this past year all of my friends who were looking got a job. I feel a change coming. Less people are studying to become a teacher and more people are retiring or quitting. It took me several years to find a job but I ALWAYS worked in education related jobs. I worked at a children's museum, as a TA, a sub, a daycare, etc. I also hustled. All of my free time was writing cover letters and reaching out to schools. I think it will eventually happen if you keep at it. If this is what you want to do, go get it! In the meantime, find an education related job. Good luck! I know it is so stressful.
MrsWok is offline   Reply With Quote