Help

Substitute Teachers

Not doing that again...

>

lisa53

Not doing that again...
Old 01-13-2017, 10:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I took a job for 12:35-2:35 subbing for a math teacher. Hardly seems worth it to go in for just 2 hours, but it happened to fit my schedule that day.

Arrived a few minutes early, since 12:35 is in the middle of a class which starts at 12:22. The teacher was still there, and so was another math teacher. Second math teacher said he had offered to introduce the topic (completing the square for a polynomial) to the class, since it was somewhat complex, and then I could do it for the next class (after I had the review...which was a good thing, since the last time I did that skill was in 1969.).

So first math teacher left after a few minutes, second math teacher introduced the skill, which took 30 minutes, and then I took over supervising worksheet completion. I taught the second class, but after about a half hour, the original teacher returned. I hung around and helped kids with the worksheet, basically as an aide in the class.

Both classes were pretty squirrelly and tough to keep on task, so I was very active the whole time.

Got an email from Aesop announcing that I would only be paid from 12:35 till 1:50, since the original teacher returned at that time.. Really not worth the time and effort I expended. I won't do that again.

lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Nietzsche

Old 01-13-2017, 12:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've subbed for a good number of years and never seen or heard of that. I've decided I will quit subbing at districts that do ridiculous things like that. They owe you, they should pay you!
Nietzsche is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 01-13-2017, 12:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Whoa, they're really pinching those pennies. Cross that school off the list.
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 01-13-2017, 02:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This is the only school where I sub...it is where I taught for 31 years. But now that I know they do that, I simply won't sub for less than a full day. It is ridiculous. And I will mention it to my friend who is in charge of sub hiring, etc.

They ought to have just covered with teachers on their duty period.
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 01-13-2017, 03:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

That's completely ridiculous. My district won't offer sub jobs for less than a half day. In those cases, the class or classes are covered by teachers on their duty period, which is what should have happened in your case.

mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cayo

Old 01-13-2017, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

If you were there until 2:35 helping out in the classroom and no one sent you home early, you deserve to be paid for your time. I would take it up with the district. The school appears to be in violation of the law.

Subs are treated poorly in so many ways. Not getting paid for time actually worked is wrong.
Cayo is offline   Reply With Quote

artladyhere

Old 01-13-2017, 09:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Awful! And frustrating!!

Did the classroom teacher adjust it? How would the sub office know?
artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 01-13-2017, 11:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I got a call this afternoon at 2:10 for a job with the hours of 12:30 to 2:30 for today.

This makes no sense. Someone must have goofed by not cancelling this availability.
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 01-14-2017, 10:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Quote:
Got an email from Aesop announcing that I would only be paid from 12:35 till 1:50, since the original teacher returned at that time.. Really not worth the time and effort I expended. I won't do that again.
Years ago I had a district do that with IEP coverage days.

They would post a full day (to Aesop) and then a day before modify the absence to be something like 9 to 1 or 10 to 2, and pay for half a day. Usually the meetings ran late and subs ended up working extra for free.

I dropped them like a bad case of cooties when they refused to take me out of the remaining "IEP Floater" days.

If you can vote with your feet, when they don't have enough subs then they'll wake up.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

xinerevelle

Old 01-14-2017, 02:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Thankfully the school where I sub has a roster of four or five regular subs who they will swap from room to room on training days (so I might end up in three different classrooms during the day) so that we still get a full day of work.

I don't think our district even has an option of paying for less than a half day. I know that I've been called in last minute (I was actually volunteering in the PTA workroom at the time) and not been into the class until 8:30 or 9:00 and still received a full day's pay (sub hours are 6:45 to 2:45).

xinerevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Truth17

Truth17

Old 01-16-2017, 08:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Not to be that person. When things like this happen, I often excuse myself to the "bathroom", but ran to the office and ask if I'm needed anywhere or should stay there. I do this, because one time I was called in for whole day. The teacher had jury duty. Something happened and she came back at like 9. I overheard her saying "I'm not wasting my time for this" and then try to get me to be her aide. She was really awful. I knew if I called the office in front of her she would flip out. I said I needed to use the rest room and high tailed it to the office. I wasn't needed and wasn't going to be paid for any time after 9. So glad I didn't stay until 2:55 pm.

broomrider

Truth17
Old 01-20-2017, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I'm wondering if she tried to get you assigned as her aide so that you'd be paid for the day after you bothered to take her assignment and she was released from jury duty.

The "wasting my time" could have referenced losing leave time if she'd not come to school since she wasn't needed for the jury and wouldn't have been compensated.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote