Help

Substitute Teachers

Slow, so...

>

mrsd5

Slow, so...
Old 01-18-2017, 03:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've picked up two para positions for today and tomorrow. Friday is a half day in 6th grade math. Kind of happy for a slow week, though. Fighting a cold. There were lots of absences today, so a bug is going through the building.

mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 01-18-2017, 04:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Yep, I picked up 2 para positions last week, this week has been a bit slow. I am booked out into March, but the weather has been miserable the past few days so I don't mind. I have tons to do at home.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Come sub where I sub!
Old 01-19-2017, 04:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

On Friday they were so short of subs that I taught two classes at once.

A classroom teacher was out, no sub, so the Phys Ed sub was pulled and assigned to that classroom. The classroom I was in had Phys Ed. So I taught my class Phys Ed and the next class as well.

The students who were in the classroom where I was subbing sat on the stage and did packet pages. So I "taught" two classes at once.

Same district, before Christmas break, was so short of subs that I was sent mid-day to the high school for coverage so the teachers could have lunch. That day all study halls had been moved to the auditorium so one teacher could cover them all.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

Ugh
Old 01-19-2017, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We have had shortages like that, but not so severe as what you said. I subbed between two classrooms last year that were at opposite ends of the building with one upstairs and one downstairs. They had teachers covering during their plan periods when I couldn't be in a classroom. Nearly the last day of school in a middle school... And there were only two subs. So it was a mess. Do you think that our measly $90 a day had anything to do with that?

SubMan

Old 01-22-2017, 09:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
Do you think that our measly $90 a day had anything to do with that?
Yeah, that and the fact that they don't interview subs, don't support subs, make us park as far away from the school as possible, switch us after we get to the school, won't let use technology, and blame subs for things.

SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

Subman
Old 01-22-2017, 03:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Have to say that I haven't experienced most of that. The pay is low, sure. The only gripe I have is the use of technology. I am lucky that most teachers give me their passwords because our school is one-to-one Chromebooks and I need to get online. But if I want to check my email or other sites during my breaks, I have to use my phone. Usually it's not a big deal, but this is the first year that subs have not had internet access. Apparently a few subs were on Facebook and other sites when they were supposed to be teaching, so that was pulled.

Petra0688

No sub. Calls
Old 01-24-2017, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have not been working a lot since last month from the Christmas breaks, VERY SLOW and impossible to live by on a monthly paycheck.
Petra0688 is offline   Reply With Quote