Help

Substitute Teachers

Recess Detention

>

SubMan

Recess Detention
Old 02-06-2017, 01:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

A regular teacher assigned me 5 minutes of recess detention today.

I was taking my class of second graders back from their special and she felt they were noisy. In her usual style she burst forth from her room and told them all that they owed five minutes for being noisy in the hall. I mentioned that not all of them were talking and that I was quieting the ones that were when she said I could join them if I wished.

So I did.

I don't get what I ever did to her, she makes it her business to tell other teachers "Mr. Subman is subbing for (insert teacher name here)." This is also not the first time she has burst forth from her room to correct a class.

SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

IA11

Old 02-06-2017, 01:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What a $&@ch! What happened to minding your own business!

Yeah -- no patience for stuff like that -- it's been that kind of day!
IA11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 02-06-2017, 03:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

What if you just didn't do the recess detention??? Would she tell on you?
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 02-06-2017, 07:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
What if you just didn't do the recess detention??? Would she tell on you?
I have no idea, nor do I care. I did it to annoy her as she had recess duty today. I have grown weary of her bossiness. I have talked to other subs and she is bossy towards them. Many of us avoid the school because of her and her minions, they seem to enjoy picking on subs.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

c6g

Old 02-07-2017, 04:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

A number of years ago, I was subbing for a very nice 4th grade class. Near the end of the afternoon I had them get ready for recess. They could have been a bit quieter in the hall, but they really weren't bad. I've seen other classes prepare for recess that were much louder.

Mrs. Busybody walked by, saw them, and gave them quite a scolding. I nodded and mumbled something to agree with her, but was not happy with her comments. I said nothing further about it to the class, and didn't mention it in my note.

I happened to know the regular teacher well, but decided it was best not to say anything to her. Several years later, with Mrs. Busybody having moved on to another school, I decided to share the story with the regular teacher. This is something I usually don't do, but in this circumstance and after much thought, I decided it was safe. The teacher didn't mind at all, and I discovered that she had no love for Mrs. Busybody either. I was very careful not to let it become a let's bash Mrs. Busybody session, but she agreed that Mrs. Busybody had really been out of line.

c6g is offline   Reply With Quote

Subinnc

Old 02-07-2017, 05:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I would have taken the kids out anyway. If Miss Bossy said anything I would tell her to take it up with their regular teacher.

I also think I'd find her after school and speak to her privately so that this sort of thing doesn't continue to happen. I would tell her that I appreciate her willingness to try to help, but I've been doing this for a long time, and I prefer to handle behavior/consequences myself. When someone steps in, it undermines my authority and makes managing behavior more difficult. Keep it positive and thank her for supporting you!
Subinnc is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

That's why I stay clear of elementary
Old 02-07-2017, 05:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

The amount of micromanaging ("collaborative" teaching) that goes on in the elementary level should be criminal.

Bossiness and rudeness from other staff aren't necessary, and are incredibly counterproductive. It really puts a damper on the day, doesn't help the kids at all, and makes you feel like your authority is being undermined.

Last edited by subasaurus; 02-07-2017 at 09:34 AM..
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 02-07-2017, 05:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I had to read your post twice, just to make sure I understood you were the one given detention along with the kids. I think I would've done what you did, just to irritate the Queen.

She must be a terribly miserable, unhappy person.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

"in her usual style..."
Old 02-08-2017, 03:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I probably would have confronted her--if not at the time then later. If this is her usual style, she's a bully. I believe it was Eleanor Roosevelt who said, "No one can make a fool out of you without your permission."

Obviously confronting her may have consequences, so it's a decision that requires consideration. I would said, "I'm sorry you think my kids are too noisy, I will take care of it.

I once entered a classroom to do an activity with the kids... the teacher said to me very pointedly, "You have to ignore Sally." I looked her straight in the eye and said, "Sally will receive the same attention from me that the rest of the kids get." (Sally was a challenging student, but I rarely had problems with her.)
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote