Teacher calls mom over disruptive student and then hands me the phone - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

Teacher calls mom over disruptive student and then hands me the phone

>

Tangible

Teacher calls mom over disruptive student and then hands me the phone
Old 02-08-2017, 08:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Well I really feel like I got tossed into the lion's den in this situation. I subbed for a 5th grade teacher and the day went okay. In the morning a 5th grade student from another class (who I had no switch with) randomly came into the room. He started bragging that his teacher "threw him out" and made him come across the hall into my class. Would have been nice to have a heads up from the other teacher but we were a few minutes away from recess and my class more or less had free time for those minutes so luckily him coming in didn't interrupt a lesson. When it was time to go to recess I took him back across the hall to his own class.

Fast forward to the end of the day and I have bus duty in the teacher's (same one I subbed for) classroom. Another 5th grade teacher came in to run it with me. Same kid comes walking in again and said that the same teacher who kicked him out that morning told him "you know I'm going to end up sending you out so you might as well just go now for my sanity" (paraphrased from what the kid said).

So I end up with this extra kid for my bus duty and he immediately starts messing with other students. The 5th grade teacher who was doing bus duty with me had to leave off and on to take groups of kids to the bus and on her way out she gave two kids slips of paper and told them to write down names of those who talk. That turned into a nightmare in about 5 seconds with the kid who was sent to my room calling one of the two kids who were writing down names stupid and getting in his space aggressively. The kid he was trying to intimidate was no push over so I was trying my best to de-escalate the situation before it turned into a shoving match.

The teacher sharing my bus duty came back and started lecturing all the kids. The "bad" kid was still getting smart with her so she said come to the phone and call your mother. He called mom and gave a weak and watered down version of events. The teacher took the phone back and said "Mrs. So-and-So what your son said is not the whole story so I'm going to let you talk to his substitute teacher he had today." Then she just passed me the phone.

Well, for one thing I wasn't even his sub. They cast him off on me twice but that doesn't mean he was my student that I dealt with all day. So automatically I was in a position of either needing to go along with it or correct the other teacher (didn't want to do either to be honest, I just wanted to get the heck out of there). So I tried to start talking to the mom as best I could and the lady was like a shark smelling blood. I couldn't hardly get a word in. She just went on a tirade about how her son gets picked on and bullied in school. Finally she asked and why the heck are they giving you the phone, I should not be having this conversation with a substitute! I just said "one moment ma'am" and handed the phone back to the other teacher. By this point the kid's ACTUAL teacher had come in to the room and I whispered to her that I needed to leave and she waved me away.

Was this just a lose-lose situation no matter what or are there things I should have done differently?

Tangible is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 02-08-2017, 01:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

IMO, you were thrown under the bus b/c Mom is a well-known PITA afflicted with NotMyBaby Syndrome. Her special snowflake is the victim, you see.

The bus duty teacher has been around and around with this kid and his mother, and she. Has. Had. Enough. This isn't the first time Snowflake's teacher has relinquished her authority by sending Flake from the room,leaving Bus Duty Teacher or whoever is handy to deal with Flake.

No, it wasn't right for her to put you on the spot, but as I said, she is totally over having to deal with Flake and Mommie Dearest. The classroom teacher should have addressed this, but she is obviously not going to do that.

You did the best you could, and you were right to hand the phone to Flake's teacher. There is absolutely no winning with these parents and their offspring.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Subinnc

Yup...lose-lose
Old 02-08-2017, 02:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

And Mooba is most likely spot-on. Bus duty teacher probably thought maybe if Mom heard it one more time, from someone new, it might sink in to Mom that the kid has issues.

I would have told her exactly what happened. That you were actually not his sub, but he couldn't keep it together enough in his own class to stay in there.

Not for nothing, I think it's crummy to send the disruptive kid to the sub. If you have to send him out, send him to a regular teacher...don't make sub's day more difficult. My guess is that the regular teachers won't take him anymore.
Subinnc is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Perhaps
Old 02-08-2017, 08:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

the teacher sending the disruptive student out didn't know there was a sub in the room, that sometimes happens. And then again, she may not have cared but needed to be rid of the child.

As far as the phone conversation is concerned, the other teacher did you no favors nor the mom. I do think that she may have wanted someone else other than the regular reporters to let the mom know her darling son is not perfect. The other teacher was very unfair to just dump the phone on you.

If at all possible, I'd avoid subbing for fifth grade at that school (and sixth grade next year). I have a "never, never" list on my iPhone to remind me of who and where to avoid. Luckily, it only has two names on it--teachers who were rude and deliberately unhelpful. I've had it pretty nice with students.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote