Help

Substitute Teachers

Teachers should put in absences earlier

>

Cetti

Teachers should put in absences earlier
Old 02-16-2017, 05:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I picked up a job yesterday to sub at the HS, in the science department. Come in today and find out that the whole department is out for a scheduled district meeting. Why did the teacher/district wait until less than 24 hours before the absence to put it on Aesop?
I am even more perplexed/annoyed because the other Science teacher that shares this room came in this morning all huffing about "they couldn't find a sub for me" so an assortment of Para's/Aides will cover his classes.
I LOVE when I have jobs booked ahead of time! And if you wait until the last minute, you have less subs to choose from. I know some do this in advance when they know they will be out, but why don't more teachers do this so they don't get "stuck" with no sub?

Cetti is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 02-16-2017, 06:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Yes, they should but there could be many reasons why they didn't. Could be they just found out about the training. Interesting to me how many trainings we never know existed until afterwards, or when it is really too late to make arrangements to go. Or funding isn't approved until the last minute. Doesn't make sense, but happens quite often.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

YayaSub

Old 02-16-2017, 08:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Sometimes "last minute" jobs exist because the sub who picked it up originally canceled the job, putting it back on the job board as a new assignment.
YayaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

budget
Old 02-16-2017, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Some don't get to know that they get to go until they get their clearance through their prince. Based on my experience, this can be a last-minute thing. There are those, however, that book a supply even if the paper work's not been processed/approved. These types are sticklers for the protocol sometimes.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Yep
Old 02-16-2017, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Dealing with just this right now.

District A wants me for PSSA testing, they asked me a month ago and I never heard back from them.

District B also wants me for PSSA testing and already put me in a few days that conflict with district A.

So, I'm like I'm not wealthy and I heard nothing for an entire month so I went with the sure thing. District A can't get subs and they have never interviewed me the 5 years I've subbed for them. District B has interviewed me every year.

SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

sometimes
Old 02-16-2017, 11:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

especially for several people attending a meeting, a secretary or admin is assigned the job of entering the absences and it has a low priority on their to do list.

As others have mentioned, meetings are called with brief notice or clearance to attend doesn't come through. Then there's the prince who says "oh my gosh, I forgot about this meeting you guys need to attend."

In the best of all possible worlds, jobs are posted early and subs arrange their time to fill then. However, this is education, not the best of all possible worlds.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

whd507

Old 02-16-2017, 11:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm subbing a dream class for two days right now, teacher gone for training, he put it in a month ago... I snagged it a month ago. I'm mostly booked a month out for good classes, so when teachers complain that they cant find a good sub, I just smile and agree with them.
whd507 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 02-17-2017, 09:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have had problems with the opposite effect.

The sooner a job is entered, the more likely the job is to be cancelled.

I have been offered jobs as much as six months in advance.

It has been my experience that any job entered more than two weeks in advance has a strong liklihood of being cancelled.

When this happens, the cancellation is usually late.

Sometimes they forget to cancel the job, and the sub loses money because they get to school to discover the job no longer exists and no one cancelled it.

i have lost about $500 over the last four years due to this.
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tessa_Rue

Old 02-18-2017, 07:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Many times I have put in sub jobs, they get filled, and then as it gets closer to the date, the sub cancels for one reason or another and they get thrown back out.

And yes, sometimes if it's something many people are going to ,we don't even put in for the subs, the office does.

Last edited by Tessa_Rue; 02-18-2017 at 08:14 PM..
Tessa_Rue is offline   Reply With Quote

Cetti

Old 02-19-2017, 04:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Thanks for all the feedback, you guys pointed out some things I didn't think about.

Cetti is offline   Reply With Quote

harpadzo

Sub Job
Old 02-20-2017, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

It could be that the teacher found out about the coming meeting at the last minute. You will find this to be a common problem in the public schools.
harpadzo is offline   Reply With Quote