Is It Wrong To Leave A Note About Behavior If An ICS Teacher was present? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

Is It Wrong To Leave A Note About Behavior If An ICS Teacher was present?

>

NJSubteacher

Is It Wrong To Leave A Note About Behavior If An ICS Teacher was present?
Old 02-15-2017, 06:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Today, I just had a student who was very disruptive to others and was reprimanded by both myself and the ICS teacher, but still continued to misbehave. I left a note for the teacher that John Doe was very disruptive despite being reprimanded. The ICS teacher seemed very upset that I left the note (even though it was the TRUTH) and told me that is frowned upon. I just gave her the "ok, whatever" response, but never apologized or crossed out the note. I am not going to cross out something that was true! I see it as my job to report any issues regardless if there was another teacher in the room or not. Otherwise, whats the point of me being in the room?

NJSubteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 02-15-2017, 06:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Just for the fact that there was another teacher in the room I would report it. If I were on my own, frankly I would most likely let it go unless I had to have the student removed.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 02-15-2017, 06:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yeah, I still report behavior in all circumstances, but also report what I did or what the other teacher did to handle it.

I mean if I said, "So and So was disruptive and the ICS teacher did nothing about it", then I can understand that ICS teacher being upset.

I was just wondering if there is some rule or protocall that the the sub should never report on anything that occurs in classes when ICS teacher is present, and this particular teacher seemed to think there was a protocall on that.

MaineSub

In a similar vein...
Old 02-16-2017, 05:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I was recently challenged for disciplining (by talking to him--I took no action other than that) a student who pushed me and some other students in the cafeteria. I did not recognize the student and an ed tech appeared and informed me "It's okay, he's from the self-contained room." I replied that it was not okay; there are still limits on what students are allowed to do.

When the supervising teacher later asked me about what happened, I explained and added, "The question that needs to be asked is 'Where was the person responsible for him? If you don't want others to stop inappropriate behavior that could result in someone being injured, then he requires closer supervision than he was getting at the time.'" I am still amazed that I found myself on the defensive. I documented the incident with administration on the advice of a colleague who pointed out these are "fragile" situations. (I gather his IEP doesn't include confronting inappropriate behavior or something.)

I tell the story because logic doesn't always apply in the current climate and it may make sense to document incidents and behaviors if only to cover your own butt.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 02-16-2017, 05:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree. I have seen special Ed teachers bend over backwards to protect "their" students from getting in trouble, claiming it is OK because they have an IEP. Once, I even witnessed them having an all out argument with other regular teachers who write their students up for throwing food at someone in the cafeteria. I am sorry, but special ed students still know better not to throw food, bully, or hit others, regardless of their IEP. Their IEP will not prevent them from getting arrested for assaulting someone after they graduate.

Cinderella00

Old 02-19-2017, 05:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'm an ebd teacher. Let me share my view....

I had one of my students behave badly in a special class. The para and I were in the process of removing him. The teacher followed us into the hall in order to tell my student exactly what he had done wrong and why he was being removed, and provide a lecture on how his behavior wasn't acceptable. This set up a confrontation - the student KNEW he was being removed. He knew he'd have to deal with the consequences put in place in my room. But the teacher's lecture sent my student into a HUGE downward spiral. What would have taken me 5-10 minutes to get under control turned into over an afternoon of out of control behavior.

Confidentiality laws keep me from sharing everything going on in these children's lives, from lack of medication due to losing medicaid, on-going abuse with current cps intervention, drug use in the homes, plain old medication adjustments and a ton of other interesting things going on.

Treating all children the same doesn't really work. That's something I didn't understand in my first 15 years of teaching. It's something I've really only understood since becoming a spec ed teacher.
Cinderella00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cinderella00

Old 02-19-2017, 05:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

And to answer the original question - if you were in my room subbing for me, I'd still like your viewpoint on what happened, even if one of my paras were with you during an incident.

The more documentation the better!
Cinderella00 is offline   Reply With Quote

harpadzo

Note for Teacher
Old 02-20-2017, 04:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

There is nothing wrong with leaving a note for the teacher and/or parents about a problematic student if you stick to the facts. Keep the note short. Avoid too much detail.
harpadzo is offline   Reply With Quote