Help

Substitute Teachers

Do teachers ever preview videos?

>

Subtastic

Do teachers ever preview videos?
Old 02-22-2017, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I had to cover a French class the other day. The plan called for me to play a video about Paris to seventh-graders. Most of it was fine, but there were paintings in museums featuring nudes. And there was also a section about the Marais, a predominantly gay area of the city, where men were shown dancing and one couple was hugging and kissing. I'm no prude . I recognize the value of art and have no objections to love. I'm just not sure that the kids were old enough to handle it.
If some parent complains, I'm in a tough spot. I was following instructions, but did this teacher take the time to go through it or just pull something off the Internet to fill time.

Subtastic is offline   Reply With Quote

jeopardyfan

Old 02-22-2017, 06:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't see anything wrong with the video you described. A good portion of classical art does contain nudes, and they aren't graphic. As far as the Marais---so they saw men hugging/kissing, again, nothing graphic was shown from what you described, it isn't like the film had any rated R content. I'm sure most of them have seen much worse when watching tv/movies (I've heard 4th/5th graders telling their friends about the most recent Game of Thrones episodes etc).

As far as getting in trouble if a parent complains---you're covered. You did what the plan said (which is what you were supposed to do), so any issues with parents not liking the content would be the teacher's problem.
jeopardyfan is offline   Reply With Quote

BayAreaSub

Ok. This may out me.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've told a few teachers this story, so I hope this doesn't get read by any of them.

Several years ago, I subbed for two different teachers as they went to grade level meetings-- a first grade in the morning, and then a fourth grade. I had to walk quickly from the first grade to the fourth grade, without a break between classes. As the fourth grade teacher was gathering items for her meeting, she quickly told me that I was to let the class continue working on some assignment, then press play on the already set up VCR. When the time was ripe, I pressed the play button, and walked away to let the class get a better view. The teacher had taped over a movie she had recorded, but the beginning of the movie played for a while... Two women in bed with one man, getting it on. I had walked far enough away that even my running back at breakneck speed wasn't quick enough to prevent them from seeing it. Just as I reached the VCR, the documentary the teacher actually wanted them to see began playing.
BayAreaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Cayo

I actually had a teacher one time instruct me
Old 02-23-2017, 01:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

exactly where to pause the video of "A Midsummer Night's Dream" because of some objectionable content and then to fast forward to another specific spot. I did as instructed, but, of course, the kids (7th graders) wanted to know what they were missing.

I had similar instructions in another middle school class regarding a film about the assassination of President Lincoln. That video included a short bedroom scene. Again, I was told to fast forward through it.

I understand the teachers' motives, but at that school parents are told in advance what movies will be shown and what each is rated. They must sign a permission slip in order for their kids to view the films. Seems to me if a film has content that makes it unsuitable for viewing by a particular age group, maybe that film shouldn't be shown at all. It's silly to have to fast forward through objectionable material. Either show the movie as intended or skip it altogether.
Cayo is offline   Reply With Quote