Help

Substitute Teachers

Ignoring the Sub Teacher

>

harpadzo

Ignoring the Sub Teacher
Old 02-20-2017, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I hated to be ignored in the classroom by the regular teacher. However, this is very common place in the NYC public schools. I recall going through this situation many times in my years as a sub. The truth is that most teachers do not accept subs as teachers. In the mind of teachers, main office staff, board of education, and district office sub teachers are nothing more than baby-sitters. I substituted for 8 years. It took me a long time to realize that I was never seen as a teacher. It was terribly frustrating to visit a classroom as a cluster sub for the day and be completely ignored by the regular teacher and para. Can anyone here relate?

harpadzo is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

In my school
Old 02-20-2017, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

And in my district, subs are valued. Yes, there are some subs who come in and see themselves as placeholders. They don't last. I sub in my old building, so I can see this from both sides. If a sub really tries, he/she is valued and requested. If a sub just comes in to collect money, not so much. I know I am valued, and it's not just because I worked in that building for 20 years. I see other subs, some who have no other teaching experience, who are requested because they truly work to keep the class on track. One of my favorite subs when I was teaching came from a military and business background. He is amazing. Another has a college degree, but not in education. She has a way with the kids. Maybe though, because it is a smaller district with a sub shortage, subs ARE valued and treated as teachers.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Maybe a little...
Old 02-21-2017, 02:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Quote:
Can anyone here relate?
I'm tempted to reply "No," but in a sense, I can. As Mrsd5 points out, some subs are fairly far removed from teaching--either due to lack of ability or lack of desire. As an experienced sub, I try not to ignore them, but another reality is there just isn't a lot of free time and energy when you're the one teaching. The focus has to be on the kids and the lesson.

I'm also a firm believer that the way we get treated in life is the way we teach people to treat us.

When I first started subbing, I put a lot of effort into learning the job. (I had tons of teaching experiences with adults.) But more importantly, I made sure the teachers I worked with knew who I was and how much I wanted to learn and, most importantly, teach. When the principal I started under retired, I asked her for a reference letter. For me, her most meaningful comment was that I earned the respect of teachers and staff quickly.

I can see how this would be difficult in a larger district where there are many schools. But that shouldn't stop us from trying. When I am in a room with a regular teacher, I both ask for and watch for opportunities to be helpful.

Self-confidence is an important skill for subs. There's a certain amount of "fake it until you make it" in this business except you never really make it. You're constantly judged and tested--by the kids, other teachers, admin, and parents. I recently subbed in a classroom with a volunteer who showered me with her glowing opinion of the regular teacher and explained what I needed to do to be just like her (while I was trying to review the lesson plan and get ready to start the day). It was actually kind of funny, because the regular teacher isn't known for running a tight ship. I thanked my volunteer mentor--just not too profusely.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Cayo

Old 02-21-2017, 10:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

In my district it depends on the teacher. I've subbed for teachers who treated me as a fellow professional and others who treated me like dirt. Thankfully, most teachers appreciate subs and recognize how difficult our job is. Over the years, however, I've complied a list of teachers I won't sub for including a high school teacher whose opening line to me in front of his students was "What are you doing here?" and a teacher I subbed a long-term assignment for who was downright rude and condescending when I needed to ask a few questions. Fortunately, others have been kind and welcoming. Those are the ones I am happy to fill in for.
Cayo is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

no respect
Old 02-21-2017, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
most teachers do not accept subs as teachers. In the mind of teachers, main office staff, board of education, and district office sub teachers are nothing more than baby-sitters. I substituted for 8 years. It took me a long time to realize that I was never seen as a teacher
Don't lose heart and don't take it personal. There's a lot of regulars out there that don't have the respect of the students they teach much less of the other adults. I wish I could say that you're in good company but really, don't lose heart. One way to counter this effect and I don't know if you tried this yet is to actually dress for success. Create that good impression by upping the ante a little. Dressing like an adult sure made me feel better about myself and the students I serve. I kid you not when I say that I would wear a tie even when I sub. It keeps me calm and collected and I don't feel like yelling at anyone if I'm dressed the part. Have you tried it or are you doing it? I felt that I was not ignored and people would actually pay attention and I'm not even an eye candy, !

Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

harpadzo

Small School District
Old 02-22-2017, 10:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Sub teachers do not see themselves as sitters. Teachers, paras, and others at the school, including the kids, consider subs to be baby-sitters and nothing more. They think very low of subs. This has been my experience. I have no idea how small your school district is compared to NYC. In NYC, subs are a dime a dozen and thus not valued at all.

harpadzo

Bigger District
Old 02-22-2017, 10:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I know that your reply to my post would be different if you were a NYC sub. The ghetto schools are the worst. Both teachers and students are lost.

harpadzo

Kind Teachers Are Few
Old 02-22-2017, 10:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

What an opening line? WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE? I simply would have walked out of the classroom. I am so happy to be away from subbing.

harpadzo

Dressing the Part
Old 02-22-2017, 10:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I left the subbing job in 2008. The best decision I ever made. I agree that professional attire can make a difference unless you are a sub in NYC public schools where students don't care what you wear.

Mikhail

not for them!
Old 02-23-2017, 03:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
unless you are a sub in NYC public schools where students don't care what you wear.
Dressing up for yourself and giving yourself respect make a difference. I know that I find myself being too permissive if I have an attire that's a litte too casual. It's about you.

Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote