Help

Substitute Teachers

3rd grader mad a Donald Trump

>

whd507

3rd grader mad a Donald Trump
Old 02-14-2017, 08:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We had an indoor recess due to extreme cold the week after the inauguration, and a little girl came up to me to tell me that she was really mad a Donald Trump.

Amused and intrigued, I asked her why?

"Donald Trump ended Global Warming last Friday, and now its already too cold for recess".

I did manage to maintain a serious face for a bit....

Regardless of politics or global warming views, it was the best thing I've heard from a kiddo in a while...

whd507 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cetti

Old 02-15-2017, 05:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Cetti is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 02-15-2017, 06:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would have corrected her understanding of the subject in question. I would explain it is not up to one person or President to affect global warming and that we all have to work together to recycle, and conserve energy, which will help the current problem with global warming and that we still have global warming, even though certain days can still be very cold. A third grader is old enough to understand, if explained well, that global warming is something that is affecting the entire Earth as a whole, causing the average temperature around the world to slowly keep rising, but we can still have some very cold weather here.
NJSubteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 02-15-2017, 09:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Haha, that's too funny! Before the election a girl came up to me and said if Trump won her family was moving to Canada. I'd like to know the status of that.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 02-15-2017, 10:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Speaking of which, anyone ever notice teachers bashing Trump in the teachers lounge at lunch? Many of them seem to be one sided thinkers. Also, don't realize that school/work is not the place to discuss politics.

mrsd5

Old 02-15-2017, 12:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Too cute! I would have just sent her on her way with no comments. As far a as staff room conversations, we have teachers on both sides as far as the election. So there is very little political discussion. Not to say there is none, but there is very little. Besides, it's more fun to talk about families, house remodeling, sports, etc.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 02-16-2017, 04:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
I would have corrected her understanding of the subject in question. I would explain it is not up to one person or President to affect global warming and that we all have to work together to recycle, and conserve energy, which will help the current problem with global warming and that we still have global warming, even though certain days can still be very cold. A third grader is old enough to understand, if explained well, that global warming is something that is affecting the entire Earth as a whole, causing the average temperature around the world to slowly keep rising, but we can still have some very cold weather here.
The third grader was just trying to integrate what they had heard. They hear political views from their parents, the news, etc. Politics is so abstract that a lot of third graders just regurgitate what they hear. Even if they are old enough to understand global warming, I don't think that was the time to "teach" them. Although explaining global warming is not political, I can almost guarantee the third grader would go home and say "The sub said Donald Trump did not cause global warming!" Which then becomes political

Also, we talk bout political things in the teacher's room all the time. It is our place in the school where we can voice opinions. We are comfortable with each other enough to be able to voice our opinions about politics without causing problems. We do not talk about it all the time, there are so many other things to talk about that are more interesting.
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 02-16-2017, 05:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

First off, Donald Trump did NOT cause global warming. This is a fact! Therefore it shouldn't be labled as "political" because politics is more of an opinion based ideology. As a teacher, we are there to educate students, so I think it is important to at least correct them on that because that statement is just as false as a kid saying 2+2 = 10.

Second, the work place is Never the place to discuss politics, no matter what industry you are in. Although teachers do it all the time, it is a big No No!! The only time it becomes appropriate in school is during a history or political HS course, in which you encourage the students to have a discussion without giving your opinion.

subasaurus

Funny kid. But I would say nothing
Old 02-20-2017, 01:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

If it's little kids getting political I just laugh.

If it's older kids I say "I can't discuss politics with you, but maybe you can bring this up in current events in social studies class."

Works like a charm.
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

harpadzo

Little Girl and DonaldcTrump
Old 02-20-2017, 04:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

A third grader has no idea what it means to be President of the United States. Any negative thoughts about Trump were obviously taught at home by ignorant parents who also have no idea what Trump is all about.

harpadzo is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 02-20-2017, 05:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I admit I would have had a hard time not laughing. She sounds adorable!

I think I would have explained that she might have heard Trump didn't believe in global warming, but that doesn't mean the same as canceling it.

Of course, being a math person, I likely would have launched into an explanation of how averages can sometimes mask very large fluctuations, and that even a grown-up might see a small change in average temperature and not realize it was the result of very large extremes on either end...by which time she probably would have run off to play.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

Tounces

Global warming
Old 02-23-2017, 09:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Yes, talking and having to listen to politics in the lounge is very annoying. So is talking about breast pumping and toilet training. Yes, I had to hear that too. I avoid the teacher's lounge when I can. They are mostly one-sided.
Global warming isn't caused by any people. If there is such a thing, it's a natural process that has been going on for a very long time.
My district still teaches evolution in high school.
Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote

Emmy

Old 02-26-2017, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

In Oklahoma, they praise Trump, but still are one sided thinkers.
Emmy is offline   Reply With Quote