Help

Substitute Teachers

Concerned

>

Louisa19

Concerned
Old 02-13-2017, 08:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a certified teacher who has taken a long term assignment. I have worked at the campus for a few years. There is a female (older) AP who has made it known to a friend of mine(who has taught at this school for decades) that she does like me. She goes out of her way to publically snub or ignore me in front of my friend and other coworkers. I am good at my job and I have never been disrespectful to her. I am at a loss as to what to do. What is the best way to handle her?

Louisa19 is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Old 02-14-2017, 04:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think you meant "does not like me?"

Consider all the possibilities including the fact that "not liking" is different than "not respecting." I can think of people I respect but am not particularly fond of...

In the grand scheme of things (assuming you're correct that she doesn't like you) how much will it impact you?

Your basic choices are "flight or fight." You could ignore it. You could "fight" it by confronting it in a positive way that could include being more friendly to her (subtle approach) or something more direct.

I find it interesting that you know this from a friend... and then mention that she snubs/ignores you in front of your friend. Hmmm. Maybe it's the friend she doesn't like! I'm sort of kidding, but friendships in the work environment aren't usually all that simple.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 02-14-2017, 05:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

MaineSub is right. "Not liking" and "not respecting" don't necessarily go hand in hand. Simply continue to be professional and polite, and then you'll have nothing to worry about.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Truthy

Old 02-14-2017, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Who well connected is this teacher? If she's not well connected, I would report her to the principal if she is publicly treating you poorly. Someone who acts that way to someone they don't know, shouldn't be a teacher. What if she decides she doesn't like a student and acts on it?
Truthy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tinks08

Easier said than done.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I know it is much easier said than done but if you do not let her immaturity bother you, you'll be fine. You aren't there for her, you're there for the students. Let them be your focus. It can be easy to let negativity bring us down but just use the positive energy from you students to lift you up. Everyone you encounter is not going to "like" you and just remember that is OKAY! Just be you.

Tinks08 is offline   Reply With Quote