Help

Substitute Teachers

No sub plans-high school

>

YayaSub

No sub plans-high school
Old 02-25-2017, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Yesterday when I signed in, the secretary gave me the rosters for my classes.This teacher travels to several far-flung rooms around the building, and he must wear running shoes and never need to use the restroom. Anyway, I arrive to the first class and find no note. The kids tell me they are in the middle of a project, so they work all class on it. The rest of the day and classrooms, never a note. My school does use iPads extensively, and the students all did stay productive. I just felt it bordered on rudeness to get no note, even if it merely said thanks for coming and tell the students to look for instructions on their iPads. In turn, I did not leave a note about how the day went. I figured he did not care, and I wouldn't have even known which room to put it in since we have block scheduling. This absence was planned well in advance, so I really didn't see a reason not to communicate at all.

YayaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Irish

What I do
Old 02-26-2017, 07:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If no sub plans are left I let the office know. When I was a teacher we had to leave emergency plans in the office. That way you are covered. You were lucky to have students that were self motivated. This wouldn't work in an elementary setting.
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

posted about this too
Old 02-26-2017, 08:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I had posted about this too and what I did was, I still wrote a note in response with cc to an admin after I had called the main office for any emergency plan. Good thing I had a backup plan but this is unprofessional conduct. I'm sure that your reason(s) for not writing a feedback is valid. But next time, think about what would happen to the next supply teacher if this adult repeats this again for a future absence. This is unacceptable. Continuity in their education becomes lacking.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

Cayo

Old 02-26-2017, 09:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Not leaving any kind of note is rude. It happened to me once when I subbed a 5th grade class the last two days of the year. The other 5th grade teachers helped out by sharing their plans, but there were a couple of hours I had to wing it. One little boy wasn't having it and refused to do anything. He had the nerve to ask me, "Did my teacher tell you to do this? I don't think so and I'm not doing it." I walked out of that assignment with a headache. Interestingly, the teacher retired the next year and turned up as a sub. Wouldn't wish much "what goes around comes around" karma on anyone, but in her case, I'll make an exception.

Last edited by Cayo; 02-26-2017 at 03:08 PM..
Cayo is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 02-26-2017, 08:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I once mentioned to the office that I had no plans; what was left for me was a series of admonishments to the substitute teacher. I was told it was not place to "evaluate" classroom teachers.

Okay then, I'll muddle through the day with the help of students and the other grade level teachers.

SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

mkesub

So frustrating.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Definitely frustrating to not be left plans. With high school you can always just treat each class period as a study hall. I've done that.

Recently I had a two day assignment in 1st grade with no note or lesson plans. It sort of worked because they had an aide. They did centers most of the morning, then switched with the other first grade and did centers again. But then they switched back and the aide said just read them a story or something until lunch. Umm.. when is lunch? And what do they do after that? I finally had to sit her down and have her write out a schedule for me. Then the schedule got changed anyway. I got a pile of social studies handouts at the last minute and told to teach this activity with the other 1st grade instead of taking mine to gym. And I wasn't told how long I'd have them for. I had to knock on the other teacher's door to ask. She acted a little bit like I was rude for interrupting her, but I need to know how long I'm teaching an activity! Frustrating.

That school also was frustrating because they used me for every minute of my time. So.. I did lunch duty and recess duty. They gave me 20 minutes to eat lunch, but then when the kids were at specials they gave me a project to work on. And one day was early release (one hour early) so they had me help out in after-school care. Fair enough I guess, but most schools don't do that.

I didn't leave any kind of note for that teacher. The aide can tell her what happened..
mkesub is offline   Reply With Quote

YayaSub

Old 02-27-2017, 05:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Oh dear, I would have run away from that school fast as soon as my assignment was finished. It sounds like the whole atmosphere there is disrespectful to subs. At that grade level, I need plenty of time to prepare, tidy up, leave a good note (or not )... They had you on the run the whole time. No excuse for the neighbor teacher to leave you on the hook and act annoyed about answering a question.

I think the main reason the lack of a note annoyed me was that it underscored the fact that the sub was looked at as a somewhat useless seat filler. I wasn't told anything because I didn't need to know anything to do the job-- maybe I'm overthinking it.
YayaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Comadrita

Old 03-03-2017, 11:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Unfortunately that is how they roll when it comes to us subs. Oh, no lesson plans, oh well, I am sure you will figure it out. Be thankful you had on task students and that you had no behavioral issues. Usually that is not the case. Normally, no lesson plans equates to chaos and upheavel by the students. I've learned to have a plan B. My plan B involves worksheets, grade level books or educational games that I bring with me. Plans B's are always a good thing plus it not only benefits you but most importantly the students who will be engaged, learning and thriving under your care. Combat the "seat filler" syndrome by making sure you are doing your job with the student's learning as your number one priority.
Comadrita is offline   Reply With Quote