Help

Substitute Teachers

Just earned another point towards heaven

>

mrsd5

Just earned another point towards heaven
Old 02-28-2017, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Phone buzzed, so I looked. Full day job for Thursday, so I grabbed it. Resource middle school teacher who I've subbed for many times. Not a great gig, but I know the kids. A few minutes later, I got a message saying "Dude, you just grabbed a job that was for me." Yep, the teacher who retired the same year as me had been requested by the teacher. It is in her former classroom. She had cancelled another job just to take this one. So I messaged her back that I would cancel. And she was able to grab the job. With the shortage of subs in the district, I'm sure another job will pop up. Plus, I'm doing another easy half day tomorrow. Early dismissal, so no study hall, shortened periods, AND the teacher has last period planning. I'll only work just over 1 1/2 hours and get half day pay because of the way the periods are lined up.

mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 03-01-2017, 06:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Nice things worked out.

This reminded me of the time I picked up a music position early in my subbing career. A few minutes later the teacher was on the phone screaming at me "MUSIC SUB PREFERED!" I dropped the job and then rejected it. I hoped she didn't get anyone due to her outburst.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Kailey123

Old 03-02-2017, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm just curious....can't your teachers request a sub directly? In my district the teachers can put in a job in three ways:

1. to the general list that anyone can see
2. posted to a "preferred" sub, but the automated system has to call the sub to confirm -- if that preferred sub doesn't reply within a certain time frame then the job reverts over to the general list for everyone to see
3. directly to the requested sub so that it never goes onto the general list at all, and it's never seen by anyone. The requested sub will just get a confirmation email. (this is how I get most of my jobs).

So here there's no chance anyone could accidentally pick up a job meant for someone else, except if they didn't respond fast enough to a #2 job and it reverted to the general list.
Kailey123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Comadrita

Old 03-03-2017, 10:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I say first come, first serve. It wasn't right of her to demand that job once you had accepted it, it was rude, impolite, and unprofessional. I would've pretended not to see that message. Sometimes you have to play the system or the system plays you. Just my two cents.
Comadrita is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

I think of it differently
Old 03-04-2017, 06:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The other sub and I worked together for years. We retired the same year. The teacher had requested her. She was waiting to click on the job, but I beat her to it. I sub a lot more than she does because of requests. It was her old classroom, so she knows the students better and the curriculum. No skin off my nose.

Yes, teachers can request in the office. I don't know why the classroom teacher didn't do that. Then we get an email confirming that we click on. If we don't acknowledge, it goes to the general list.

I think of it as honoring the classroom teacher's wish. Plus, I am limited to 100 days a year as a retired teacher. I'm closing in on that, so was okay with giving up one day.

mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote