Help

Gifted Education

A Fine Line

>

mflash

A Fine Line
Old 01-10-2006, 06:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I love my third grade gifted class, but I'm struggling to find a balance between respecting their giftedness and yet requiring that they respect my authority. I don't think any one of my students ever means to be disrespectful, but they sometimes say things that I think cross the line. Does anyone else struggle with this?

mflash is offline   Reply With Quote

maryteach

maryteach

My gifted kids
Old 01-15-2006, 01:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

are my hardest rotation this year. They are somewhat disrespectful, in a low-key sort of way. Last year, my gifted rotation was my easiest. This year, I have about four highly gifted underachievers. One hates his stepdad and is being deliberately manipulative, one is a Hispanic girl who does not believe that it's appropriate for her to be smart, certainly not as smart as she is, and one is just plain lazy. As is often the case, I have a couple of kids whose maturity levels have a long way to go before they match up with their high IQs. I have a few of the classic high-achieving, perfectly behaved little stereotypes, but they're in short supply this year.

They all have phenomenal reading scores, though. That's something of a payback for me going through this year with them. They have been really hard, so far. We're about to start independent research projects and Junior Great Books, so we'll see if that calms the savage beast for a month or so.

Sometimes, gifted kids get arrogant about it, and get a mouth on them. I tell them that I'm sure their IQ is higher than mine, but I'm smarter, because I've lived longer--four times longer, as a matter of fact.

Rubyslippers

Speaking as a mother ..
Old 01-23-2006, 07:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

of a gifted child, I think thier mouths and brains run too fast for the brakes on their E.Q.s to work! My son can say some very smart-mouthed things and I usually chalk it up to several things: 1. his brain runs so fast, his mouth just runs along with it until it is too late to stop, 2. he is inmature in some ways which is normal in gifted children, 3. he knows no other way to say what he means,4.he thinks using strong words carries weight for his thoughts,5. their vocabualry is more adult-like than their voices! Another thing I think also, sometimes the same words an adult would use, are considered inappropriate coming from a child. I remember once when I was telling my DS to do something he didn't want to, he was trying to argue with me about it, so I used the "broken record" technique they taught us in Assertive Discipline class. He was 4yo and do you know what he said to me?
"Why do you keep repeating the same thing over and over again? You're not listening to me."

Usually if he says something that sounds rude, I help him find a better way to say it. I also try to watch what I say around him.
Rubyslippers is offline   Reply With Quote

kimann

Draw your line!
Old 02-07-2006, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I was a GATE student from 3rd grade on and never disrespected any of my teachers. As a teacher today, I make my students behave respectfully. I realized early on (after another teacher telling me so) that allowing them to do otherwise was setting them up for problems later in life. All of our employers expect us to behave respectfully. I don't try to change how they behave at home but I make it clear to them what I expect at school.
kimann is offline   Reply With Quote

Cricket72

Drawing the line on respect....
Old 03-02-2008, 11:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Yes, mflash, I think most of us have struggled with this at one time or another. Young gifted children can be brutally outspoken at times. Remember, they are only 8 and 9 year olds who are expressing things from their perspective. They have not learned the fine art of TACT. Sometimes this behavior stems from adults who think they are "cute". (It may have seemed "cute" from a 3 or 4 year old, but by 3rd grade, they need to learn the truth.) I agree with Rubyslippers it is our job to teach them a better way to express their feelings. One of the most important lessons I have learned is don't take it personally. Explain that their response is inappropriate and help them role play better responses.

Cricket72 is offline   Reply With Quote