Substitute Teachers

when is it TMI?

>

Lumberman

Lumberman

when is it TMI?
Old 02-14-2018, 04:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Don't get me wrong but I am so thankful that there are teachers that clearly itemizes instructions and viable deadlines. Their sub-binders are clearly labeled with maps, emergency procedures, current seating charts (which doubles as attendance for roll), bell times, helpful staff/student, etc...

We all know that substitute teachers don't always make it on time for obvious reasons. If they don't arrive on time, they might not get the chance to read and implement everything in spite of what they have. How do you deal with this?

mooba1

Old 02-14-2018, 04:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Good point, Lumberman. I guess it’s a case if “ be careful what you ask for, because you just might get it”. .

My first priorities are to quickly skim the lesson plans, sketch a quick seating chart (I only sub elementary), see if there are any special needs of any kind, and make sure I know the routes/procedures for the emergency drills. ETA: if I see a sub binder, I look for a seating chart, since that shaves off a few precious minutes for me.

My feeling is that I do the best I can with trying to take in all the info, but I’m only human and have limited time before the students arrive. I do like flipping through the entire binder during planning period though.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

All those are required in my district.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I make sure I have class lists and lesson plans to skim. Then I look at the seating charts. After that, I check the emergency procedures and locate all the emergency routes and exits (hanging on hooks by the door next to the maps of where to go). The district is awesome in having all those available to teachers and subs. Most important to me are the class lists and lesson plans. Seating charts are next. If you sub in a school often, you will become familiar with their emergency plans if they are required to be on the teacher's desk or near it. Most teachers have a basic lesson plan format with any passwords, locations of emergency procedures binder, etc. that they then add the lesson plans to. Or maybe it's just my district that requires these.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

deal with this?
Old 02-15-2018, 02:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

For me, it's not so much as dealing as it is as prioritizing. When I had subbed, I have to admit that the first thing on my mind is not where the emergency routes are or if there's a panic room. I looked for the instructions to keep students busy because in my mind, if they're busy and engaged then it keeps them safe. When I got some down time, that's when I read about other matters.

It really was tougher when you'd get these short notices for a regular teacher. So I guess, my part in dealing with this was when I finally decided not to pick up assignments past a certain time in the morning so I didn't feel so frazzled and rushed when I got to a location. The money's not worth the aggravation or the stress of feeling pressured. Prep time is essential and I certainly appreciated the early heads-up IF I got them.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Check another thread...
Old 02-15-2018, 02:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

"Things to let a sub know" relates to this topic... as others have suggested, it's about priorities and subs need to learn how to speed read. On the other thread I mentioned an MEL (Minimum Equipment List) approach. What's the absolute minimum I need to have and know before I start? I will not, for example, start a class until I'm confident I know fire drill and lock down procedures for that room. I tell the kids "read to self" or "talk quietly with your neighbor" if I need a few minutes to review information.

MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote