Help

Substitute Teachers

Report times

>

artladyhere

Report times
Old 02-13-2018, 08:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Kind of a dumb question, but I've been thinking about this for a while. If your report time is 8am. Does that mean you need to report to the office by 8am or should be in the classroom by 8am?

artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

I'd say
Old 02-13-2018, 09:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

report to where you sign in, which makes it the office.

However, signing in, getting a key, finding the room, etc. can take awhile so giving yourself at least a 5-10 minute sign in, etc. allowance is good. Finding lesson plans, locating teacher's edition lesson guides, checking out lesson requirements, etc. etc. can take at least 30 minutes. And most teachers don't note if they have morning duty which can really mess up a sub.

In my district, the start time listed on-line can vary greatly depending if the teacher puts in the time the bell rings, their report time, or some split the difference. One time I saw 3 jobs at the same school with start times at 15 minute intervals. Not helpful at all. (My district has staggered start times due to bus schedules.)
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

YayaSub

Old 02-13-2018, 10:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I sign in at that time. As noted above, I may go earlier if I think I need to figure out a lot before students show up... thinking early elementary here. Older kids don't usually require much prep time, so I don't allow extra time for them. Especially when my sub plans consist of "Everything is on Canvas." :/ No way to prepare then. I have to lurk over someone's shoulder to even find out what we're doing today. I do wish anyone who wants me to do morning duty would attach that note in Aesop so I can allow for that in deciding how much prep time I'll need.

Last edited by YayaSub; 02-13-2018 at 06:23 PM..
YayaSub is online now   Reply With Quote

mkesub

Old 02-13-2018, 10:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I work in many schools in different districts, and it varies wildly. For some, the report time is when the office opens. No point in getting there any earlier. At one school it's an HOUR before the students show up.

At the other extreme, at one school the report time is 5 minutes AFTER you are supposed to pick up the kids from the playground!

If it's a school I'm unfamiliar with, I try to get there 15 minutes before report time.
mkesub is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

time when class begins
Old 02-13-2018, 04:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

In the 3 districts where I've subbed, the "report time" indicated in AESOP or SmartFind is the time class actually begins. However, subs are asked to arrive 30 minutes beforehand (usually that's just as the office opens). So if the "report time" says 8am, I arrive at 7:30 am to sign in with the office and go over the lesson plan. Check with your particular district(s) though. It may vary.

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 02-14-2018 at 11:18 AM..
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

I try...
Old 02-13-2018, 05:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Based on bell schedules I try to be in the classroom at least 45 minutes before the students in order to get the lay of the land and the lesson plans.
CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote

artladyhere

Old 02-13-2018, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Ohmygosh @YayaSub! I've received the "Everything is on Canvas" too! And I'm asking students to tell ME what we're doing in class.

Sirsubalot

Old 02-13-2018, 07:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I also like to arrive at least 45 minutes before class starts.

But this is only practical at about 10% of the schools. Most office managers will not even arrive until 30 minutes before class starts, and then you have to wait for them to settle in.

On average, I get the keys about 20 minutes before students arrive, so to arrive much earlier is just a waste of time.
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 02-13-2018, 09:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I arrive some time between 7 and 7:30 depending on the school. The day starts between 7:40 and 8:05 depending on the school.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

artladyhere

Old 02-15-2018, 06:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I think I tend to think about this the most when I sub 1/2 days in the afternoon and have to report at 11:30 and I know class is in session and the teacher is in the room teaching. I usually talk to the teacher so do I need to go in way early anyway?

Mikhail

on duty time
Old 02-15-2018, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

In my school district, legally speaking adult staff must be on school grounds 15 minutes before 1st period starts in the morning and 15 minutes before the 1st period in the afternoon. Now this is in a middle and high school campus. They are to be at their doors monitoring the halls. So there's either subs or regular staff signing in 15 minutes before and they are sticking to the contract.

Should a supply teacher come in early, they may sign in and get their materials once a school clerk/secretary is on duty. I wouldn't a advise a supply teacher coming earlier than a school clerk/secretary. I get that you need some early prep time. You could still do it but you may have to do some waiting in a staff room. And then there are some clerks/custodians that understand and let you get started!
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

mommysubs

It depends...
Old 02-16-2018, 07:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I usually try to get in 10 minutes in advance at least, or whenever my kids let me leave the house in the morning, just to at least get the room open and go over the plans. Not a big deal in the elementary because the kids don't arrive until much later, but in the high school, every extra second counts because the students are generally in with the teachers. In the middle school, well, no plans are the best plans because if I walk in planning on teaching social studies or reading, I'd better be ready to switch to gym and be prepared to be unprepared!
mommysubs is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 02-20-2018, 07:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Quote:
Kind of a dumb question, but I've been thinking about this for a while. If your report time is 8am. Does that mean you need to report to the office by 8am or should be in the classroom by 8am?
I plan my time so that I am at the school by 8am or a little bit earlier. Any earlier and the school secretaries are not at their desks. I choose to arrive earlier than requested as my time is more valuable before the students arrive than after. I write my note to the teacher and organize papers as I go through the day.

One school is so large, it was the high school, that I arrive 15 minutes early to get signed in, place lunch in 'fridge, and get to the classroom before the students show up.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 02-20-2018, 09:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

At our annual sub meeting before the start of the year( unpaid of course), our sub coordinator told us that an office manager actually complained that some subs arrive too early. Our sub coordinator thought this was a ridiculous complaint, and took our side over the office manager.

I am sure I was one of the ones she complained about, since over 90% of the time, I am the first sub to arrive.
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote