Office manager lost my time sheet. Now what? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

Office manager lost my time sheet. Now what?

>

Sirsubalot

Office manager lost my time sheet. Now what?
Old 02-08-2018, 06:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

As I was about to leave today, the office manager spent 20 minutes looking for my time sheet and couldn't find it. It was the only one missing. She said she would call me when It shows up, but I did not here back from her.

There were nine days on the time sheet, and seven schools. Included are job #s, teachers names, class codes, class descriptions, and office manager signatures.

It will take me about three hours and 50 wasted miles to get all the signatures again, including time waiting for the office managers to help me, I will probably need at least three days to get to all the schools before they close.

What a pain in the bottom!

Has this happened to anyone else? If so, how did administration handle it?

I strongly suspect it will all be on me to get the signatures.

I hope payroll will give me a break if I miss the deadline.

Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 02-09-2018, 11:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That is a pain! Hopefully it will show up.

We have a district manager who keeps track of which subs work where on what days, but there was a separate time sheet from each school. I typically worked at two school, so it would have been much easier had I needed to get signatures.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 02-09-2018, 12:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It happened to me once years ago, I had to go back to each school with the Smartfind printout and have them resign the form, at least it was early in the pay period so I didnít have too much running around to do.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 02-09-2018, 05:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I just got the response from the sub tech that said " Sorry". I did have to go back and get all the signatures.

I took a pay cut today by accepting a job today in this larger, farther, and lower paying district so Ii could begin to get this over with, since it was confirmed today the time sheet was lost.

I got four of the seven signatures today which took about an extra hour after school.

What if I would have had all 14 days at 14 different schools in the district?

What if this was the day the time sheets were due, and I had to go to 20 schools?

The answer is "tough luck".

This is another example of how the system discriminates against us.

The office manager who lost it just goes about her business without repercussions.

My 3rd district eliminated time sheets years ago.

Tapdancesub

Old 02-09-2018, 06:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I donít understand why we have an automated system and are still doing paper forms. It is just crazy.

mrsd5

thank heavens
Old 02-10-2018, 07:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Each school in my district keeps a time sheet and they get compiled and sent tot the district office every two weeks.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

I totally understand
Old 02-10-2018, 09:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I had something similar happen last year. Only in my case, the Payroll Dept. lost the time sheet! (I had even hand carried it to Payroll in an attempt to prevent that!) When I saw that I hadn't been paid, I called Payroll to inquire. The Payroll staff member claimed she couldn't find any record of it. Even worse, she wouldn't investigate the issue. She told me that I'd have to go to all the schools and reconstruct my work history for that month. Even though I had a carbon copy of the time sheet, they wouldn't accept it.

I was so upset that I called the Payroll manager. She apologized, explained she had several new staff members that lacked adequate training, and offered to look into it. Fortunately, once the manager was involved, my time sheet was found.

I think the bottom line is that paper time sheets are ridiculously outdated and should be phased out. Some districts have reached the 21st century and have automated the entire time keeping process. No time sheets. Subs just sign in and out electronically when at each school.
luv2teach2017 is online now   Reply With Quote

broomrider

A lesson for all
Old 02-10-2018, 10:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

This is a good warning for subs who have paper records for payroll. I'd hope that requesting a photocopy of the time sheet every time you leave a school and keeping it in a waterproof file would save some problems. The school should be willing to make a quick copy, given the huge number of copies they make every day.

I'm surprised a carbon copy wouldn't be accepted. I guess you'll have to ask them to date stamp the copy when you turn in the original so you can at least prove who had custody of the timesheet.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

copies of paper time sheets
Old 02-10-2018, 01:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

You're right, broomrider, keeping copies of the time sheets for ourselves is a good start. I have been making my own copies. I've also thought taking a pic with my phone might help. The problem is that my district won't accept a copy of the time sheet in lieu of the original. Sigh.

I've also seen school staff make mistakes on a time sheet or forget to sign it. So it's really important to check our time sheet before leaving the school to make sure everything is correct. It's also best to hand deliver the time sheet to Payroll (and get it date stamped if possible).

As long as we continue to have paper time sheets, there will be plenty of room for error. All we can do is keep a close eye on our time sheets and make sure to keep copies.

Also, be sure to examine the pay check to ensure the payment amount is correct! One time my paycheck was short a day's pay. When I called Payroll, I was told that the school staff had made an incorrect code entry for that day. Rather than track down the error, Payroll simply didn't pay me for the day.( After I called the manager, they paid me.) Another time, I saw that the tax amount was too much on my paycheck. Again, I called Payroll (different district), turns out they had "misplaced" my W4 form, and rather than contact me, they had entered 0 exemptions. I had to complete another W4 form to straighten it out.

The pattern I'm seeing with school district payroll issues is that whenever there's an error or a form is lost, we are the ones who will pay the price unless we spot the error and track down the problem. It pays (literally)to be vigilant.

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 02-11-2018 at 07:46 AM..

Sirsubalot

Old 02-11-2018, 03:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Actually, there were three copies lost because all three copies are attached to one another.

Making a 4th photocopy would not help me since payroll needs the original.

The solution should be simple. I should just make up a new time sheet with all the pertinent information, which I did.

This took about 20 minutes.

Then, somebody at the district office should call the office managers or Principal and sign the sheet in their place with verbal verification.

I am inconvenienced due to all the red tape and procedural overkill.

Fractured

Old 02-11-2018, 10:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

All of my jobs go through Aesop. If I had to collect signatures like you I would just quit. Payroll should do that work for you.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 02-12-2018, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Two of my three districts go through AESOP as well, but they both require signatures.

The one district that did away with time sheets sends jobs through subfinder express

Fractured

Old 02-12-2018, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

It just seems very arcane and obviously gives people like you problems. Sort of surprised anyone still uses paper for something like proof of working.

luv2teach2017

paper is obsolete
Old 02-13-2018, 02:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

to Fractured: If you mean using paper time sheets is archaic, you're right! AESOP does have time keeping functionality, but many districts are not on AESOP. Two very large districts I work for use SmartFind Express, which does not include time reporting functions. So paper time sheets are still required for subs. And yes, relying on paper time sheets is very awkward and prone to error (see my previous post).

Whenever I talk to administrative staff about such problems, they seem totally clueless. Substitute teachers encounter a lot of obstacles that are unique to our job. Unfortunately, the decision makers in administration function in their own bubble.

Fractured

Old 02-14-2018, 03:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Christ, I did mean archaic! I am toot tired these days when I post on here. I agree about admin and the bubbles. I just think it would be easier for them to use something like Aesop as well.

Tapdancesub

Old 02-14-2018, 05:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

We use Aesop and I still have to turn in a paper form every pay period.

Sirsubalot

Old 02-16-2018, 09:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

After three days after school, including about 90 minutes and 20 miles, the signatures are all obtained.

They should pay me a half a day for this, but this obviously would never happen.

luv2teach2017

oops...now it's my turn :(
Old 02-17-2018, 09:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Now it's my turn at losing that precious piece of paper. I got distracted by some issues at the end of day yesterday and forgot to pick up my time sheet from the school office. We're now into a 4-day weekend and I'm sweating bullets because the school won't be open again till Wednesday. (Fortunately, I did make a copy the day before at least.) Even still...

YayaSub

Old 02-17-2018, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I didn't even realize anyone used this system. I sign in on a sheet that lists all subs in the building that day, and that's it. I didn't know I had it so easy compared to other systems. It's unfair that the person who messed up didn't have any responsibility in rectifying the problem.
YayaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 02-21-2018, 04:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Today, an office manager in this district mistakenly gave me an extra $25.

I actually don't feel guilty about it.