Help

Substitute Teachers

Ball magnet

>

mrsd5

Ball magnet
Old 02-23-2018, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Seriously, I have a unique talent. I am a ball magnet. Years and years ago, I was an aide on recess duty. Twice in one week, I was knocked down by getting hit in the face (once by a ball that came sailing over the portable classroom). How I happened to be in the wrong place, I don't know. It was one of those red rubber balls that had been kicked by an 8th grader. I walked around with the imprint for the rest of the day. Anyway, I subbed in p.e. this morning for the teacher that I started the first three weeks of school. They were playing an indoor kickball game. 8th graders are very competitive. I was sitting on the bleachers watching for foul balls, keeping track of outs and scores. I looked down to write down an out when I got pegged in the left eye. My glasses flew off. The boy was mortified (I was expecting laughter). I told everybody to freeze and ran across the lobby to the nurse for an ice pack. Came back, and we continued. Why I sat in the same spot is beyond me. Lightning can't strike twice, right? Wrong. This time, though, it was on the left cheek, right below the eye that got nailed. That boy kept finding me through the rest of the day to see if I was okay. Luckily, I was only subbing three periods for p.e., and that was the last class. Moved to 8th grade ELA after that. Much safer!

mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

c6g

Old 02-23-2018, 07:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Ouch! Good to hear that you're all right!

I've never been hit twice in the same day, but I also once got hit in the face (hitting my glasses hard) during an indoor soccer game. For the rest of the day, I switched to less hazardous PE activities. The regular teacher might have been disappointed that I didn't follow the plans, but frankly, I didn't care.
c6g is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 02-24-2018, 09:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yard duty, PE, you name it Iíve been smacked it the face quite a few times. Glasses got broken once too. The poor kid felt terrible. I keep an old pair of glasses in my bag now just in case.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote