Help

Substitute Teachers

My long half day

>

mrsd5

My long half day
Old 03-01-2018, 04:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So I took a half day job in 6th grade science because I adore the teacher and her classes. Stopped by the office at 11:30 on my way out to say I'd be back for 8th grade tomorrow. Went home. Was home about 1/2 hour when the secretary called. "Whatcha doing?" she asked. I replied, "Sitting on my couch, playing Candy Crush. She apologetically asked if I could come back for a teacher whose meeting at the high school was running late. No problem, because it would be only for 3 classes and no end of day study hall. I'd still be home before 3:00. Told her I'd be about 10 minutes and headed out. As I was packing up at the "end" of my day, the music teacher came in to see if I'd want to take his chorus class, as he had a track meeting (most of his students would be going to the meeting). So I headed up to his class. The kids were great, and they did what he wanted while I roamed the room and made sure they were on task. It actually turned out to be a very good day.

mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Old 03-02-2018, 01:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I love it! I think this reflects the sort of situation when it just works. I'm fairly close to the school and get "desperation" calls regularly. One of my favorites was when I was asked to come in on standby (long story, a community situation that could mean sudden departures by teachers, upset kids, etc.). I ended up "roaming the halls" offering bathroom breaks to teachers, talking to kids, working with the guidance counselor, etc. (I was paid for the day even though I never had a formal assignment.)

My second favorite was the day I was at school volunteering and was paged to the office to take a sub assignment.

We are fortunate to have some good sub coordinators and it ends up being a two-way street because we all understand each other's priorities.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote