Substitute Teachers

waste

>

Lumberman

Lumberman

waste
Old 03-09-2018, 04:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I don't think it's right for me to take jobs where I feel like I am just occupying space and vegetating. There was one job this week when I was in for a counselor on Aesop. So I thought that this regular staff probably did not update the position in the system and was probably just another teacher. This does happen, you know. But lo and behold, it was a job as a counselor, and so an admin made up a schedule for me to cover classes in different rooms. I have no credential as a counselor.

Some of the teachers were given "relief" by me. What's interesting about this experience is that some of these teachers did not want coverage for obvious reasons. And it's not like they have any meeting scheduled. It seems like they were "forced" to be relieved which made it more of an inconvenience to them. They had to make a job for me because there was an error obviously.

There was another case when this teacher works with numerous instructional assistants or paraprofessionals in the room for every period. And I was thinking that if there's enough adults supervising and if these adults were working the room with their designated groups of students, what was the point of having a sub around? To me, I felt like a total intruder and it was harder for me to make connections with students. Reminds me of a saying about having too many chefs. So whenever this job pops up on Aesop, I just ignore without rejecting.

Maybe there are days when it feels like I'm just there to supervise and not be active. But in all honesty, it does not feel right. There are some jobs that don't need to have their absences entered on Aesop. Calling for subs seems like a waste sometimes when supervision can probably be done "in house". I should be grateful that there are these down times and that I don't have to be "on" all the time. I just wish that these kinds of jobs would appear more near the end of the year and then I'll be more than happy to help waste. What's your thinking?

broomrider

I'm guessing
Old 03-09-2018, 07:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

that the site is being used to track teacher absences and the job is somehow supposed to not be listed as available, just as an absence. Someone made a mistake along the way.

The school wanted to give you the day's pay and created some make work. I think I might have suggested that if the teacher wanted to stay and deliver the prepared lesson rather than taking a break, I could do any prep/photocopy work or assist with student work. It might be less awkward for everyone.

Subs are required as "teacher of record" (which I've always read as "someone to sue") even if a student teacher is in full charge of the class and the sub is expected to be elsewhere. I imagine it applies to a room full of aides as well.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 03-10-2018, 10:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This is why I don't care to work high school: they give you nothing to do, just supervise. However, I was recently in a half-day kindergarten. The teacher was in the room, there was an aide, a student teacher, and a mom volunteer (whose kid wasn't in kindergarten). Too many adults for me. The student teacher did the calendar and gave out behavior points, I took roll and described the student rotations, and the mom piped in whenever there was an instruction she felt was needed. It was weird. They really could have run the class without me but I know they need an "official designated substitute" in the classroom.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 03-11-2018, 02:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I feel the same way about subbing with too many adults in the classroom. I can't stand being idle or feeling like a third wheel. Kindergarten classes are almost always like that (too many adults), so although I enjoy the kinders, I avoid subbing in kindergarten these days.

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 03-11-2018 at 05:22 PM..
luv2teach2017 is online now   Reply With Quote
Lumberman

Lumberman

Keeping busy
Old 03-18-2018, 06:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

There's a lot of ways I keep busy without explicit instruction, circulating/supervising without being too overbearing, keeping things tidy, monitoring the halls, and if I have some down time, I check the district e-mail, never a dull moment really.

And like I had said, if I see other adults doing what I think I ought to be doing, I move out of the way. It feels like I'm abdicating authority but what they don't get is leaving students alone in order to be productive. Yet, they still bother them by belching out orders thinking that they need to. It's disruptive. There's a case when one adult seems to be copying what I'm doing and it was a little creepy.