Substitute Teachers

tracking time

>

Lumberman

Lumberman

tracking time
Old 03-21-2018, 02:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Just curious, how important is it that you keep track of time throughout your day? I'm glad for my I-phone that I preset as an alarm during the day. Even though I may have it on vibrate to let me know before a period ends, I keep thinking that there must be a better way. If you have suggestions please let me know. Strategies and ideas without technology are also welcome. Thank you.

SubMan

Old 03-21-2018, 08:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I too use my iPhone but recently I was “caught” setting a timer by a principal who told me cell phone use by subs was not allowed. So now I use a kitchen timer I got at target for a few dollars.

Last edited by SubMan; 03-21-2018 at 08:07 AM.. Reason: Spelling error
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 03-21-2018, 08:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

[URL="https://www.timetimer.com/collections/all/products/time-timer-3-inch[/URL]
ETA: Obviously my IPad didn’t post the link correctly, but you can go to timetimer dot com to see the timers. I was thinking the 3” one might work.

Gee, I always use my phone as a timer or set it for an alarm. Once in a while, I’ll use one of the online timers and project it so the kids get a visual representation.

The time timer is a physical timer I used to use when I taught Sped, but one of the gen ed teachers I sub for uses one in her classroom. The kids like it because it shows a silent, visual representation of how much time is left. The alarm is loud, but not awful, and you can set it on silent if you prefer. I don’t know...for me, it would be one more thing I’d have to remember to take with me at the end of the day.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Old 03-22-2018, 02:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I wear a watch and carry a clipboard with my schedule/lesson plan. I don't "track" my time as such, but have developed a pretty good time orientation. I focus on key items such as what time we have to be at specials, etc. and don't sweat the small stuff. (I'll highlight or circle those events that require punctuality. Between the watch and clocks throughout the school, it's not hard to see the time.

Personally, I would never use my phone. (I keep it with me, out of sight and on silent, for emergencies.) I occasionally see some teachers use their phones for timers, but personally, I think that's unfair to the kids who are immediately sent to the office if they display a phone.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 03-22-2018, 08:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I look at the clock on the wall! I think I've been in one classroom that hasn't had one.

Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote