Help

Substitute Teachers

Jobs disappearing and reappearing.

>

theatersub

Jobs disappearing and reappearing.
Old 03-07-2018, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does this happen to anyone else? I will see a job on Aesop (usually one that I don't want, so I ignore). The job goes away, so I assume somebody took it. Then later, sometimes minutes or hours later and sometimes days, the job reappears in the system as if it never left. I've seen the same job pop up six or seven times in a week before! I call them "zombie jobs" because they seem impossible to kill. What's the deal with these jobs? Are subs taking them and then cancelling them after--sometimes immediately after--or is it a system glitch?

theatersub is offline   Reply With Quote

artladyhere

Old 03-07-2018, 07:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Probably subs accepting any and all jobs....then looking at the jobs closely when they have more time and cancelling what they don't want. I do it all the time since my district has more subs than jobs...it's super competitive!
artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

Old 03-08-2018, 05:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I took a job and cancelled. I was blocked from accepting any more jobs. And I couldn't see them either. Oh well..... I had a sub take a job and then cancel a couple of minutes later when I was teaching full time. NOBODY wanted to teach that class. Even me. Sometimes jobs are cancelled and show up again when subs cancel. Sometimes the teacher cancels the job because it was accepted quickly by someone when the teacher had it arranged with another sub to accept. All sorts of reasons.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Lumberman

Lumberman

pick up and then drop
Old 03-08-2018, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Uh huh. Subs and pick up and drop assignments but if you do this too much, I think Aesop stops you from being selective. So don't "reject" those jobs or "cancel" too much. You don't even have to accept if the job's something that's not your cup of tea. Resist to feel that pressure. Regular teachers cancel hoping that their preferred sub might pick up. I prefer to rotate because I'm an equal opportunist.

SubMan

Old 03-08-2018, 09:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It could be that subs are grabbing jobs and dropping the ones that they don't want.

It could also be that their is a family member picking up jobs and when the sub gets home they drop the jobs they don't want. I know of a sub whose husband is on disability. He sits on Aesop all day and takes every job that appears. When his wife gets home she drops the ones she doesn't want. She could train him better and their would be less job dropping going on.

SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Here4TheCake

Old 03-09-2018, 03:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Happens a lot here. I have less than 30 (more like 15) seconds to decide for a job before it is taken.

I work for two separate districts- one if you reject, they block you IN BIG YELLOW BLOCK for the day for dropping the job. The other, they're so desperate they'll let you work that same day.
Here4TheCake is offline   Reply With Quote

Nietzsche

Old 03-21-2018, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

theatersub,
I've seen what you described happen a few times. It happens to a job that I don't reject but also don't select. The job disappear and than reappear as a new job a little later. I have had the same job appear, disappear and then reappear at least 10 times before I finally reject it just to stop seeing it as a new job. I highly doubt this is someone accepting a job and then cancelling it.
Nietzsche is online now   Reply With Quote

lisajohnljc

yup... this stuff happens all the time...
Old 03-23-2018, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

The jobs nobody wants are always going to keep popping up caz people either wont accept them or, accept and then cancel after realizing what it is.

The jobs that everyone wants are always a lot harder to get. And teachers are notorious for putting them out there and then canceling them if they didn't get the sub they wanted. Happened to me a few times. Booked the job, then had it taken away, with no explanation. Then, I saw it put back out there again, only I couldn't book it caz they sent it to someone particular.

It's so competitive. the only way to get the good jobs is to smooze up the teachers and secretaries to the point where they like you enough to send them your way. And that takes time. And a lot of shmoozing! After a while though, you get real tired of having to do that. We shouldn't have to work that hard to get a decent position.
lisajohnljc is offline   Reply With Quote