Help

Substitute Teachers

Article About Subbing

>

SubMan

Article About Subbing
Old 03-18-2018, 08:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Here's a newspaper article about subbing. An interesting read.

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/no...s/201803150023

SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 03-18-2018, 05:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Thanks for posting the link to the article.

I don't think it's any mystery why there's a lack of substitute teachers in general.

Decent pay, job security, benefits, and improved working conditions would go a long way toward attracting more substitute teachers.
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Old 03-19-2018, 01:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Interesting article but a huge lack of detail reflecting shallow reporting. A question or two that might be worth asking:
  • What is the school's teacher attendance rate like? Is this problem a shortage of subs or excessive teacher absenteeism?
  • How many regular teacher positions are vacant, requiring a long-term sub?

Note that the article mentions a "new" state law. I'm not sure I understand what it entails based on the article, but you can bet it's a major factor. I'd be willing to be this new law is a major contributor to the problem.

This is the first time I've heard of specials teachers being pulled to teach regular classes... you can bet there's more going on here than meets the eye. On the rare occasion when we were truly short a teacher, we have actually combined classes, putting the students in rooms where there was a teacher.

Note also the reporter apparently asked no questions of administration nor reported anything about the School Board's response.

As is so often the case these days, not exactly stellar journalism.

I'm all in favor of raising pay, etc. for substitutes... but when the only tool you have is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 03-19-2018, 07:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

They want me to disable my adblock so I didn't read, but of course there is a shortage of subs and the reasons are obvious; the most obvious is the low wages.
My largest and lowest paying district is short of at least five subs every day. I am sure it is more than five on average, but when I check my phone for jobs during the day, five is the maximum posted.

Some jobs are gone in seconds, others are posted over a week.

if they want the less desirable jobs filled, they need to ante up, but they choose not to.
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

stolaf

Question?
Old 03-19-2018, 07:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Did anyone bother to talk to the subs about the shortage? I can deal with just about anything a school throws at me; except schoolwide disrespect. Especially from teachers who weren't even born when I started teaching. I do not mean that I should be respected because I'm old. I mean that schools, teachers, and students, (who have been taught from someone that 'subs are stupid), should treat me like the professional I am. In my state, retired teachers are not even allowed to work as a paraprofessional. We'll lose our pensions.

stolaf is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 03-20-2018, 11:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I've seen the same thing as sirsubsalot...I 've worked for 4 different districts, and the district that pays least has the most trouble getting and keeping subs.

Obviously, people prefer to work where they will be well treated and fairly compensated.

If districts paid well, they could also raise standards to screen for better qualified subs, which would in turn help increase the respect for substitute teachers.
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 03-20-2018, 12:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
Note that the article mentions a "new" state law. I'm not sure I understand what it entails based on the article, but you can bet it's a major factor. I'd be willing to be this new law is a major contributor to the problem.
New state law allows education students who have successfully completed 60 credits towards a degree to substitute up to 20 days. Any one with a college degree (doesn't have to be in education) can be emergency certified to substitute for a school year.

Quote:
This is the first time I've heard of specials teachers being pulled to teach regular classes... you can bet there's more going on here than meets the eye. On the rare occasion when we were truly short a teacher, we have actually combined classes, putting the students in rooms where there was a teacher.
Or have the principal cover classes. But you are correct other districts will split classes. and send those students to other grade level teachers.

Quote:
Note also the reporter apparently asked no questions of administration nor reported anything about the School Board's response.

As is so often the case these days, not exactly stellar journalism.
Reporter was there as an observer and reported what they heard and saw.

Quote:
I'm all in favor of raising pay, etc. for substitutes... but when the only tool you have is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail.
This is so true, districts wonder why they can't get subs and yet they never ask the subs.

SubMan

Old 03-20-2018, 01:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
Did anyone bother to talk to the subs about the shortage? I can deal with just about anything a school throws at me; except schoolwide disrespect. Especially from teachers who weren't even born when I started teaching. I do not mean that I should be respected because I'm old. I mean that schools, teachers, and students, (who have been taught from someone that 'subs are stupid), should treat me like the professional I am. In my state, retired teachers are not even allowed to work as a paraprofessional. We'll lose our pensions.
I would think that a retired teacher working as an aide would be a tremendous asset to a district but I appear to be in the minority.

If I am not treated with respect by a school or district I choose not to sub there. One district where I choose not to sub has a primary school with a "mean girls" climate. There is a core group that delights in making subs feel uncomfortable. I student taught in 1996; some of these teachers were born the year I student taught.

Subtastic

Old 03-20-2018, 05:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Note the problem area: Specials, which carry special risks. The periods are often longer than regular classes I've done Phys Ed, and am in no hurry to do it again. It's boring, you have to stand for long periods of time, a whistle would help, you have to make sure some kid doesn't throw a basketball at another kids. It's exhausting. Music can also be a nightmare; kids saying they have to use the practice rooms. You look inside; no one is there, no idea where the kids are.
Subtastic is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 03-21-2018, 03:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

For the first time in 20 years, I heard a blatant anti-sub comment that i was surely intended to hear.

I was the only person in the lounge when out of the blue, a teacher walks in and says " I hate it when there are a lot of subs here, no offense"

I can understand such a comment to others when no subs are around, but since I was the only one there, it was meant for me. What the ......!

Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

JustaSub

Some Paras treat subs rude and stupid
Old 04-10-2018, 07:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I came into a special Ed Pre-K class and there were no plans. The class had a vacancy for a teacher and the para was filling in and helping the sub that was in there, However, the sub was out that day so I had to sub for the sub.
Well, the para was very rude to me. The kids were watching the morning show on kiddy couches that might have looked liked they blocked the other kids viewing the show from their chairs. Not True! The TV was raised high!.....The para, on my first 15 minutes says 'DON"T you EVER Let them do that again!" (block each-other? when they weren't?
Then, when we were walking to lunch, holding the kids on the rings, I was in the front and a kid all the way in the back of the line falls and I did not know...The para did and she yelled "WILL YOU STOP!" very rudely and another teacher witnessed. I was supposed to go back the next day and I cancelled. I won't work with someone like that.
JustaSub is offline   Reply With Quote