Recess Time

>

KABC123

KABC123

Recess Time
Old 10-02-2018, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello Everyone,

I have a student who refuses to come in after recess. The student has done this mutiple times and its a pain going outside. I clearly state the expectation of lining up when I wave my hand/blow my whistle at the end of recess. Today we were outside and he refused again, so all the students are lined up and he is at the top of the slide refusing to come down and smiling as it were a game. We can't take recess away which I don't see as an effective solution anyway. I'm just not sure what to do because it has become a issue, and the kids who are lined up are having issues because they are stuck waiting. Any suggestions for handling a student who refuses to come in after recess? For me its a safety issue.

anna

Old 10-02-2018, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Is this a set up question from a college professor? I see the only solution is to hand out logical consequences. If there were more people assigned to duty,which there never is) I would give the kid a 3 minute warning regarding when recess is over. Tell your college professor or princ to get real. Other than that I would tell the kid he or she does yard duty with me ,walks the time out circle or stays in the office for recess .
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 10-03-2018, 12:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am not one to advocate taking recess away, but in this case I would because it's a logical consequence for their actions, since the actions are directly related to recess.

Since that's not an option, I would go to admin with the issue. They can find a yard duty or someone in charge of bringing this child in. I had the same issue this year and I would radio my assistant principal every time the child refused to come in and she would come over and get her since she has the ability to use physical force, if necessary, and I don't.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

cheerio

Old 10-03-2018, 12:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I would ask admin for help. I would also contact the parents and let them know.
Admin can deal w dragging them in. That's not fair to you or rest of the class. Hopefully with admin and parent support the kid will start to abide by the rules.
cheerio is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 10-03-2018, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I would have the student line up 5 minutes before everyone else. If they still don't comply, then they get only a limited area near me where they can run in place, do jumping jacks, jump rope, hang out with a friend, whatever. More like punishment for me! But it's worked for a few of mine over the years. I start with 2 days, then they can try again.

ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote
KABC123

KABC123

Old 10-03-2018, 05:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thank you for the replies. I'm going to try doing some of the things mentioned. The logical consequence should be recess taken away or at least sitting out a few minutes. However, teachers have gotten in trouble for taking away recess. Our school admin is trying to be all about positive. I'm all about positive but students also need a consequence for not following the rules (maybe that's why our school has so many behavior issues). Recess isn't the only area in which we aren't allowed to give a logical consequence.