Kindergarten

Reading Groups

>

Heart4Teach1

Heart4Teach1

Reading Groups
Old 10-11-2018, 02:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm interested in knowing how everyone run their reading groups? How many groups do you meet w/ each day & how long is your reading group with you? Also, what do the other students do when your meeting with your reading groups? I'm a second year teacher and hoping that this year I will be better with meeting more with my reading groups.

sevenplus

Old 10-12-2018, 05:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I won't start for a few more weeks, but I will meet with 3 groups a day for 20 minutes each.

When not in a group with me the students are reading independently, writing, listening to books, doing word work, or are on the computer.
sevenplus is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 10-13-2018, 06:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My small group during ELA block is 4 leveled groups, which makes differentiation easier. One group on Lexia, one in group with me (leveled readers, HFW, and handwriting), one group doing a crafty thing with a parent volunteer, and one playing a literacy game or FUNdations tiles with my aide.

Each group does two things on Monday and the other two things on Tuesday. And we start over again Thursday and Friday with different letter.

Only having one transition each block has cut down on the lost instructional time, etc. I love my ELA block this year--I used to have them do all 4 things each day. There wasn't enough time to actually COMPLETE anything.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 10-13-2018, 06:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I meet with my groups once a week right now, 2-4 times per week after January. I do not do a lot of leveled reading until January, and my groups are not leveled until then. We are working more on writing, phonemic awareness, sight words, etc.

Right now we have 4-5 centers per week, and students only do one per day. One group is with me doing a combination of reading, writing, sight words, etc., one group is with a parent, one on Lexia, and one or two doing an independent activity. Centers last about 30 minutes. When students are done with their center they have a choice of literacy activities they can do. Almost everyone has the opportunity to finish every day, even my slowpokes and perfectionists.

In January we switch to a must-do/may-do system. Students have 3 activities that they must complete over the course of the week, and a variety of may-do literacy activities they can choose from when they are done. I pull 3-4 small groups, for 10-15 minutes, while they are working.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote