Kindergarten

Help for L.A.

>

KoolKinder18

Help for L.A.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello everyone,

I was wondering how other teachers set up their centers, and what activities do you do at centers. My literacy block is from 2:05-3:05 with a mini-lesson and literacy centers/reading groups. Iím having a very hard time w/ my literacy block because the students are tired at the end of the day. I have 24 students and a TA that alternates morning/afternoon. I have a few students who also donít do well in centers. Iím trying to figure out something to make my literacy block more manageable. With L.A. at the end of the day Iím struggling and feeling so overwhelmed because we are expected to meet with several group and also rotate centers. Any suggestions?

KoolKinder18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 10-18-2018, 04:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I pasted this from an earlier thread:

My small group during ELA block (10:45--12:15) is 4 leveled groups, which makes differentiation easier. One group on Lexia, one in group with me (leveled readers, HFW, and handwriting), one group doing a crafty thing with a parent volunteer, and one playing a literacy game or FUNdations tiles with my aide.

Each group does two things on Monday and the other two things on Tuesday. And we start over again Thursday and Friday with different letter.

Only having one transition each block has cut down on the lost instructional time, etc. I love my ELA block this year--I used to have them do all 4 things each day. There wasn't enough time to actually COMPLETE anything.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 10-18-2018, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

First, language arts at the end of the day is hard! If you have any opportunity to switch it I would.

Right now I have 4-5 centers per week, and students only do one per day. One group is with me doing a combination of reading, writing, sight words, etc., one group is with a parent, one on Lexia, and one or two doing an independent activity. Centers last about 30 minutes. When students are done with their center they have a choice of literacy activities they can do. Almost everyone has the opportunity to finish every day, even my slowpokes and perfectionists.

I've tried classic rotations and they just don't work for me. Find something that works for you, even if it doesn't look like everyone else.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

KoolKinder18

L.A. Block
Old 10-18-2018, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you for your reply and sharing your ideas of how you do your literacy centers. I love the idea of having a parent volunteer doing a craft center. Iím going to try to get some parents to come in.

KoolKinder18

L.a.
Old 10-18-2018, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you for sharing how you do your centers. I like the idea of having one center, which is the way I also do my centers. Do you feel like your students do well with being in their centers for 30 minutes? Also, what do you suggest for helping students with building their independence when it comes to centers, so your not interrupted when working with a small group.

Sbkangas5

Old 10-18-2018, 06:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
Do you feel like your students do well with being in their centers for 30 minutes?

Not at first, but usually by this time (we are on day 41) they are good. I would say we've been doing 30 minutes for the past 2-3 weeks successfully.

Quote:
Also, what do you suggest for helping students with building their independence when it comes to centers, so your not interrupted when working with a small group.

I start with about 10-15 minutes, and the centers are very open ended and simple so that they are working on staying on task, not just finishing something. As I slowly introduce various tasks, as well as the choices for when they are done, we work up to 30 minutes. After January they are able to work independently for 45 minutes or so.

I also teach them that if they have a question they are to ask 3 friends before they ask me. It works most of the time.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote