Substitute Teachers

Wwyd

>

Lumberman

Lumberman

Wwyd
Old 10-22-2018, 11:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

An associate of mine had an interesting subbing experience in a HS level. I have to say that I am also stumped by this experience too.

Last week she subbed in a class where there's no roll or seating plan. No problem. She knows how to roll in this situation and so she just passed around a piece of paper for students to write their name as attendance. There was actually one student who did not belong in the class and that student stayed in the room for at least ten minutes talking with his BFF. No one said anything, not even by the student who is legitimately supposed to be there that the "stowaway" is friends with.

The stowaway just up and left and of course my associate took note. Just as she was about to call the office this stowaway's friend had wanted to say something but was too late and an all-out call was made for this student to return. Of course she didn't know that this stowaway was not supposed to be there in the 1st place.

Ever been in this situation? What would you have done? There's no list or seating plan to go by.

Lottalove

I have.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I had a class list and no seating chart. I counted and recounted the kids and kept returning to a one higher number.

I finally asked if there was anyone present not enrolled and the guilty party owned up. Turned out she was a TA in the library and said she often did this if there was no work for her in the library. I called the library to say I was sending her out and to expect her. She and her friend were not happy with me--she claimed she did it "all the time" if there was a sub in the library, especially.

Fortunately, I caught it in time. I hate that for your friend. I think in that situation, I would have called the office and let them know he had just left my classroom. They can take over from there and catch him with the cameras, etc.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

that is worrisome
Old 10-22-2018, 01:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Sometimes one might be able to tell from physical development but even this isn't a sure fire way. Even I wouldn't have a clue. This is why I truly believe that teachers should keep copies of updated lists in their desks and obviously for situations when there's emergencies.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 10-22-2018, 02:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think the substitute teacher handled things just fine. The students should not have been in the room in the first place; and in the second place the student should not be leaving and walking through the halls during a class period without a pass.

The sub did nothing wrong at all. I hope the student got a consequence.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Lumberman

Lumberman

sneaky
Old 10-23-2018, 03:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

"the student should not be leaving and walking through the halls during a class period without a pass"

What she found interesting is how he acted all natural and entered the class like the rest did. The stowaway must've had study hall during the same period and so a pass wouldn't be necessary. She had also realized that even if she was given a list of student names, it would be easy for anyone to pretend that they're just new in class if no one says anything.

MaineSub

Old 10-23-2018, 06:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Not sure I understand this question.

At the high school level, kids in our district get some discretion and are not monitored closely. In the situation described, I would have challenged the extra student but would not be accountable for his whereabouts. However, if he was disruptive or a distraction, I would have sent him packing.

I have on occasion confirmed an extra student by calling the sending/allowing teacher. I am not sure there’s one right answer here.

On the other side, I have had staff come get a student who chose to be in my room for good reason and the staff person was playing power unnecessarily, “protecting” me as a sub. (A kid with behavioral issues that I rarely have problems with.) I intervened on behalf of the kid and he was allowed to remain.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote