Help

Substitute Teachers

Managing the Pettiocracy

>

Submarine24

Managing the Pettiocracy
Old 10-25-2018, 09:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I read so many angst filled emails from subs here and after subbing for a few years, want to tell all of you that if you have a problem at a school, administrator, principal, MOVE ON and let it go. Truly. I will get to this later. I have been subbing for awhile now and I am very good at it and the kids like me (another topic--this is not always good in the eyes of the pettiocracy). I was being brow-beaten by a school clerk at one of the schools, terribly, and for no reason. I know that this school is very Christian, even if it is a public school and this is illegal, and they try to hire one another. It is the kind of Christianity I feel Jesus would abhor--petty, mean, judgemental, and cold. I am not dissing the religion. Of course not, but I am concerned by these closet Christian/right wing schools that force out good people. The pay was terrible anyway. I had just heard they needed subs (gee, wonder why?) so thought I would help out. After subbing last year, my last day was this week after the administrator basically "lost it" and started beating me up for not doing lunch duty (according to the teacher's l.p., I did not have to). It became obvious to me this "Christian" school was forcing me out. I did not go out quietly. I talked to the principal, offered ideas to improve the situation, but then removed the school from the list. Time to move on. It was all very civil and professional, on my part anyway.

My point being--the very nature of our work is that we have no representation and they know this (few subs can join a union). Sh slides downhill too...this school clerk was exerting the tiny bit of power she had on the only people should could exert it on--subs. We get paid poverty wages. You are not lucky to have THEM, they are lucky to HAVE YOU. If you have a bad day, it's not working out, first of all, take the next day off (we can do this at least and it's wonderful!). Don't go back to that school for awhile and most importantly, remember that things change at the schools constantly. While you are brooding about whoever, that person just took another job. You can COUNT on things changing at the schools all the time. So my advice is, trust your gut, esp. if your IBS flares up, and stop subbing at that school/district for a few weeks. Move on to something new, find a new school, work for a better situation. It is NOT worth it to brood, worry, stretch it out...while we may be poor, we do have flexibility so use it to your advantage/health.

Last edited by Submarine24; 10-25-2018 at 09:57 AM..
Submarine24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 10-25-2018, 03:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What is a pettiocracy?
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

you know
Old 10-25-2018, 03:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

being petty with a hint of superiority complex.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 10-25-2018, 06:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

When you substitute you are only as good as your last sub job. Subs are also judged on how quiet their class is and how straight the line of students are.

Your advice about moving on is spot on. I call it voting with your feet. If you, as a sub, are treated as anything less than professional don't bother trying to correct it, just leave (at the end of the day) and don't look back.

In the past I've tried to share "my side of the story" and have gotten nowhere.

I don't know how things are where you are but where I am they are begging people to sub and affluent districts that never used to have a problem getting subs are now using emergency certified subs (BA/BS degree and a 3 day training program) to fill absences.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

retiredtwice

Old 10-27-2018, 07:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

A very valid point. This week I covered a credit recovery class at a small school and they had me cover the gym class during the teacher's planning period. Not an issue, I thought, I enjoy athletics and kids. That was until, the janitor opened up the gym and said "Oh my goodness, good luck". That was the best hour of the day. The teacher told me that her 7th hour was a challenge but try to keep them in a seat!

My first taste of that school district was tainted but I'm a believer that everyone gets a second chance. I'll try again with a different teacher but I wouldn't hesitate to eliminate the school district from my list. I would vote with my feet (love that thought). There are too many school districts locally that need subs and I really don't need the money.

retiredtwice is offline   Reply With Quote