Help

Kindergarten

Advice

>

ICrazyTeach

Advice
Old 10-29-2018, 12:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

OK. I'm in year 20. All of them have been K/1. There is definitely some burn out happening. I still love the kids. I still love what I do. I can't imagine doing anything else. But I need some help! I feel like I'm turning into an old grumpy teacher and I CANNOT let that happen. Without leaving the classroom, what can I do to get back to being "me"? I feel like I have a short fuse and just don't have the patience for these little ones right now. I know part of my issue is the stress I feel to do things I am being mandated to do that I don't believe are appropriate for my kids. Maybe I'm just tired of fighting that battle. Maybe it's just a rough group and I'm feeling more this year because of that? Maybe it's because my own kids at home are still in this age group and it's 24/7?
Honestly, I already know what advice I would give someone asking me the same thing. And I'm not doing any of it So please give me some tips, encouragement, something to get me back on my feet and enjoying my kinder babies again!

Last edited by ICrazyTeach; 10-30-2018 at 02:56 AM..
ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 10-29-2018, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

First question - do you financially need to be working full time?
Second - any interest in changing grade levels and/or schools?
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 10-30-2018, 02:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yep. We have to have my paycheck.
No interest at all in another grade level. I considered that. A friend moved up as her own kids grew because she said she list patience for the neediness of the little ones. That's not me, though. I just want to hug them in the hallway as they grow up
And I am thinking about a school change. But that wouldn't happen until year. EVERYTHING at my school has changed this year. It doesn't feel like home anymore.

kahluablast

Old 10-30-2018, 04:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You have to find something positive to focus on every day. What is something that happens that is good? If nothing is good, make something good even if it is how you take attendance and lunch count! Then make sure to talk it up to yourself.

Focus on the kids who are doing good things. Reward yourself for doing this.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 10-30-2018, 11:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Today I threw our schedule out the window and I did what I wanted to do. I was happy. The kids were happy. And they learned just as much (or more). I have to find a way to work around what the powers that be think I should be doing

Sbkangas5

Old 10-30-2018, 06:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Good for you! Sometimes that's what it takes to remember why you are doing what you are doing. We start our day each morning with a half hour of play/free art, and I find that it's such an amazing way, for both me and the kids, to start the day. I don't start stressed, I get to chat with them and check in, and just enjoy the time with them. It has made all the difference, both for the kids and for me.

Put something in your day that you look forward to, even if it's a short 5-10 minutes. It's worth it for everyone's happiness!
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

SeaGlass

I'm in year 38
Old 10-31-2018, 04:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

and I have spent many years at K, 1 and 2.

K is what I am teaching right now. I have a VERY tough class with NO help. I started Zumba last week and already feel the difference. It clears my mind so I am at peace when I come home.
SeaGlass is offline   Reply With Quote

starley

Old 10-31-2018, 03:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I always stayed opposite my own children.. When they were young in primary and early elementary, I taught upper elementary. When my boys reached, the age I taught, I went way down to Kinder. Been there ever since. I do not know how the younger teachers do it...go home to the same age young kids as they teach. I would defiantly burn out somewhere and unfortunately it is usually our own kids that get the brunt of it.

I say move up the grades as far as your certificate will take you. You can always move back down when your own kids get older
starley is offline   Reply With Quote