Help

Substitute Teachers

Sub

>

Nlpdream

Sub
Old 10-31-2018, 08:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello. I am an experienced teacher who now subs. I am not sure how to handle a problem with nasty secretaries. Everything was fine until the office staff retired and left for various reasons. Now the new young crowd hold me with derision after the principal stopped me and told me how much he likes me in front of them , it seems to have gotten worse. I am a young Senior with still a lot more life in me to give to a school community. I feel now it’s an age discrimination. I don’t expect you to solve it but it helps to vent anyway. Thanks

Nlpdream is offline   Reply With Quote

LostINRoom

LostINRoom

age-gap-personality thing
Old 10-31-2018, 09:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

"...crowd hold me with derision after the principal stopped me and told me how much he likes me in front of them, it seems to have gotten worse. I am a young Senior with still a lot more life in me to give to a school community. I feel now it’s an age discrimination"

I'm no spring chicken myself but what does the principal mean about how much "he likes (you) in front of them". If I'm more sensitive that almost makes me feel dirty. How do these new clerks treat you? If it's nothing short of professional, I'd express some concern to say the least.

SubMan

Old 11-01-2018, 02:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I’ve experienced the same thing, although i am probably younger than you.

In one district “older teachers” aren’t issued laptops for the day; this district has a lot of technology, including smart boards and a laptop is essential for making it work. Now I just ask for a laptop since it is not automatically provided. I was seen as being too old to know how to use one.

In a primary school (kdg, 1st, 2nd) the staff is all young women. One day I subbed there as a floater. After lunch I went to the next assigned room where the teacher told me “You. Need. To. Get. My. Students. From. The. Gym.” It was as if she thought I was hearing impaired or senile. I thought “just because I’m old enough to be your father doesn’t mean I’m old enough to be your grandpa.”

You may be able to change things by being proactive. As soon as you get to one of these schools announce your presence by saying “good morning” to them. In other words kill them with kindness. If you can find out things about them, like if they have children, you can tell them things that will interest them; like the mall is having a kid friendly trick or treat event.

The other option is to avoid schools where you aren’t treated well.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote