Help

Substitute Teachers

Aides using smartphone during class.

>

longtimesub

Aides using smartphone during class.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Many of us have covered for special ed teachers who have severely handicapped students...

Many weeks ago, I filled in for a special ed teacher. The class was for elementary students who were severely handicapped...

It was a time for students to play with toys...I saw one aide sitting by students, looking at his Iphone...
He was playing some game on his Iphone.

I did not say anything...But, I would never play some game on my smartphone in front of students during class...

longtimesub is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Against the rules, but I've seen it
Old 10-14-2018, 07:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Occasionally, I've seen regular teachers, aides, and guest teachers using their phones during class. It's strictly prohibited in every district where I've taught, but still some folks do it.

Last year, I taught a 2nd grade class that had several special needs kids in it. The aide sat on a stool with her phone or reading a book almost the entire time I was there, leaving me to do all the work. When I asked her if she could take the chrome book cart to another classroom (the regular teacher had suggested I ask the aide), the aide told me to ask a couple of the students to do it! I simply noted that I wouldn't sub for that class again and left it at that.

You can report it, but there's no guarantee you will be heard since you are a relative stranger vs the aide, who is a regular. I think the regular teacher is the one who needs to see and address the problem.
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Lumberman

Lumberman

teacher plans
Old 10-14-2018, 08:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Through no fault of the teacher, that aide could've been more active with the students in keeping them safe. Was this aide functioning in her duty by engaging more with the students? It wasn't the aide's break to be checking on some device.

I guess it would've been more useful for you as a guest if the teacher had left you with some instructions for the aide in order to facilitate learning for students.

Normally, if there's an aide in the room that I sub in for, I share the instruction with the aide if they didn't already know and let them decide a course of action. My 1st priority is with students and if these aides come in at a time when I have started my role, there's going to be barely enough time to coordinate things with another adult. In the subplans I'm left with, there's barely any mention of another adult coming into the room. This is a problem because there's no coordination.

Sublime

Old 10-14-2018, 09:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I see this all the time, even with the aides that are good ones, helpful, and interact with the kids. I don't think it's right. However, the aides who really don't have anything to do but observe as a 1 on 1 must get bored. However, I still don't think it's acceptable.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

Singfree

Old 10-14-2018, 10:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I also see that all the time! I've inadvertently caught some hiding their phone and doing it, which is really awkward.

One time, I was in for a very busy 1st grade class. I didn't know she had an aide until one showed up. She got on a classroom computer and spent 30-40 minutes looking at shoes, clothes, and I don't what else. I was on my toes with that group and the complicated lessons left for me to figure out. It didn't dawn on me until I got home that if the school checked the search history that they might think it was me or I let a kid explore the web and visit who knows what sites!!!

From then on out, I tried to make sure I had a brief conversation when she entered the room. If possible, I'd stop what I was doing with the class, have them look at a book for a few minutes, until I spoke with her. I wanted to shape it so she was involved from the start so she didn't use a classroom computer to get on who knows what website(s). I wish she would have used her phone in that case!

Singfree is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 10-17-2018, 12:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I really hate this and think it is extremely unprofessional, and I see it with aides all the time. It's hard enough trying to keep kids off phones when the adult in the room is also doing it. It's either that or they are on the laptops the whole time. Some of them don't even try to help the student with the assignment we are doing.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

artladyhere

Old 10-22-2018, 06:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I've seen this so much, I don't even think twice about it anymore.

A lot of aides see me as an opportunity to rest on their laurels....relax, tune out, and pull out their phone.
artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote
SometimeSub

SometimeSub

Yes, I see this all the time.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

In the classroom, I don't really care that much. For every aide who is a serious help I encounter 10 who don't do anything. (That 1 in 10 is really a Godsend, though.) The only time I get annoyed is when I'm in a regular classroom and the aide who travels with a student chooses to text a running commentary on my performance to the SpeEd teacher rather than actually helping the student they're assigned to. I also get pretty annoyed when I'm doing playground supervision and look around and see all the other adults (paraprofessionals and certified teachers, both) looking at their phones rather than watching what the kids are doing.

I've also, more than once, sat in a staff room and listened to SpeEd aides ripping on classroom teachers. I always wonder why this is tolerated but the fact is that it's a tough job and often is not very well paid so I guess it really probably is too much to expect professional behavior.