Help

Kindergarten

Benchmarks

>

ICrazyTeach

Benchmarks
Old 11-29-2018, 07:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What expectations do you have for different points in the year?

reading level?
sight words?
letter names?
writing expectations?

ICrazyTeach is online now   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 11-29-2018, 09:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

reading level - we don't use reading levels; expect kids to be able to sound out simple cvc words & sight words at the end of the year

sight words - 8 first trimester, 20ish 2nd, 40 3rd

letter names - all by 1st trimester, all sounds by 2nd trimester

writing -
1st trimester - drawing a picture on topic, starting to write independently (whether it just be copying from environmental print, or mimicking writing with random letters, writing one letter per word, etc.). The ones I consider behind are just scribbling instead of writing or still don't have a concept of what the written word means.

2nd trimester - writing a simple sentence or two using known sight words or sounding out, starting to use writing conventions, get at least beginning and ending sound when sounding out words

3rd trimester - writing two or more sentences on a topic, using basic conventions (start with a capital, end with punctuation, spaces), legible printing, spelling sight words correctly and getting most sounds for most words when sounding out

Most of my kids can do more than this (or know the letters, etc sooner), but that is the basic expectation. I usually have about half my class writing full stories at the end of the year, and all but one or two able to write multiple sentences. I also usually have about half reading around a running record level 6 or up, a quarter reading at a 4-5, and a quarter reading 1-3. I am the only kinder teacher that uses running records - we don't have anything we use as a grade level.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

ElizabethJoy

Expectations
Old 11-30-2018, 01:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Reading level
Hard to compare as I'm in a different country and it's probably not the same, but I try to get all mine to at least level 9. Currently I'm 2 weeks out from the end of the year and they range from level 5 to level 20 Most are above 9 though, thankfully.

Sight words
100 words from the magic 100 list by the end of the year.

Letter names-
No benchmark for this, we focus on sounds. 26 single letter sounds by the end of the first semester, 45 sounds all up by the end of the year.

Writing-
No specific benchmarks for this either, but by the end of the year they are at least writing a sentence with capital letters, phonetic spelling, finger spaces and full stops. Pretty much all kids have achieved this, and some are doing lots more.

We also use DIBELS 3 times a year, and our benchmarks are the same as the American ones.
ElizabethJoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 11-30-2018, 06:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We no longer use reading levels. Back in the day, it was DRA-2 level 3.

Letter names and sounds: 9 by the end of the 1st quarter, 20 by the end of the 2nd quarter, all fluently by the end of the 3rd quarter

Sight words-We use the Fundations list, which is only 27 words. No real expectation throughout the year- just the whole list by the end of the year.

My school/district is very heavy into DIBELS and those targets carry a lot of weight. We do a lot of early intervention and the vast majority of our kinder students do hit them. It becomes exponentially harder in 1st when they switch to reading non-decodable passages for DIBELS halfway through the year.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 12-01-2018, 02:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

reading level: We use F & P GR levels. We don't put GR level on the report card, but the expectation is completed Level D by the end of the year. (It is difficult for some children to get through Level D-especially if they started out the year not knowing any letters or sounds even in their own name. I am comfortable with Level C if a child has been making steady progress-especially since we are focusing on decoding more than comprehension at our level.)

sight words: 10 words-1st, 30 words-2nd, 50 words-3rd (We use a combination of sight words from the Benchmark Literacy program and Reading Horizons Phonics program.)

letter names: Letter names/sounds are introduced/mastered 1st trimester. We do a quick intro and then go into our formal phonics program where we work on them in letter groups and read decodable words made using the letters in the introduced letter groups starting in October. We continue to work in more depth throughout the year. Our standards do not require it, but our district has us do blends and digraphs. We also work on hearing long and short vowel sounds, but don't introduce all the different spelling patterns for long vowels.

writing:
1st trimester: narrative writing (journal)-illustrations are on topic, write on variety of topics, write letters for the initial sounds they hear when trying to sound out words, and able to "read" own writing. Some might use a sight word that has been introduced. Considered behind-scribbles for drawings, squiggly lines or random letter strings for writing.

2nd trimester: narrative writing (journal) and persuasive writing (book reviews)-illustrations support topic, write on different topics, write a simple sentence or two using known sight words or sounding out, starting to use writing conventions, but not always consistent (start sentence with a capital letter, use space between words, use endmarks), able to read own writing and write at least the initial and final sounds they hear when sounding out words.

3rd trimester: narrative writing (journal) and informative writing (informational reports), illustrations support topic and have details, write on variety of topics- writing three or more sentences on a topic, use the basic conventions (start with a capital, end with punctuation, spaces) on a consistent basis, legible printing, spelling sight words correctly and getting most sounds for most words when sounding out.

iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Shell

Benchmarks
Old 12-03-2018, 06:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Dra independent at a 6 by the end of the year. Independent DRA 2-3 by January

All letters and sounds by Nov at the latest

30 sight words now. Over 100 by May.

At least 2 sentences now. 5-6 with all conventions by May.

71 midyear PALS benchmark

I'm stressed to the max. My students are quite low and immature this year. They keep raising our benchmarks. It's like teaching 1st.

Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Emily26

Emily26

Developmentally inappropriate for most...
Old 12-09-2018, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Our kids are expected to be at least at a C on the F&P system.
Reading 30 words per minute.
Know all letter names and sounds.
Know 140 sight words.
Can write a 2-3 sentence story or reflection.

I would never hold the high kids back, because they have no problem making these goals, but some kids just aren't ready, and I get tired of telling parents, "Your kid is behind because they ONLY know 50 sight words" when what I REALLY want to say is, "Your kid is perfectly normal and he'll learn how to read when he's ready." Sigh.