Help

Gifted Education

Calling all gifted teachers

>

jsfowler

Calling all gifted teachers
Old 02-23-2008, 02:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

OK this is weird...I just posted a thread about teaching gifted children in my classroom and yesterday I learned there may be a gifted position open in my district. I am very interested. Any gifted teachers out there that can give me some ideas and pointers to take into the interview if this pans out?

jsfowler is offline   Reply With Quote

jsfowler

Old 02-23-2008, 02:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

ps...what state are you from and what are the requirements in your state for teaching gifted?
jsfowler is offline   Reply With Quote

Eteach

gited teaching in which grades?
Old 03-01-2008, 01:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hi! Let me know which grades you will be teaching. O taught Gited Classes in the Lower Grades so write it again. Good Luck!
Eteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Deer01

Unique Teacher
Old 04-06-2008, 12:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Did you find out what grade level? I am from Florida and the county I teach in has full-time gifted which is unique. Other counties in our state have pull-out gifted which means these students only come in for reading and social studies or math and science. It just depends. In order to teach gifted in the State of Florida, you will need to take the 5 core gifted courses...which are not hard, but eye opening. Depending on your county you can take the classes at your local university or take it through Staff Development.

Interview pointers -
Be yourself.
Do research on Renzulli (Father of Gifted)
Become familiar with differentiate curriculum and compacted curriculum
Deer01 is offline   Reply With Quote

alittleperil

Gifted teacher in FL
Old 04-25-2008, 10:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm so thrilled to know you're interested in teaching gifted! I teach self contained gifted third graders, but this is one of the few districts in FL that have self contained. The PP said there are 5 courses to take in order to become certified- and they were quite easy to complete. As for how to go about succeeding in an interview- talking about differentiating the curriculum to best meet the needs of your gifted students will be very important. Whether that's by compacting, accelerating, or using alternative assessments- the list could go on and on. I must say that my classroom never runs the same way 2 years in a row, as I'm always adapting to find what works best with the group of kids I have now. Best of luck to you in your interview. This is by far my favorite group of students to teach! :-)

alittleperil is offline   Reply With Quote