Help

The Job Search

hang on if you can, but if you can't...

>

*Annie*

hang on if you can, but if you can't...
Old 06-13-2006, 07:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have an interview on Thursday for a child care worker at a Family and Children's Aid's group home for young children. Hopefully I would be able to take the med. certification class to bump it up from $10hr to $15. This is not the only non-teaching resume I have sent out, but it is the only one that has called. I love teaching like you all, but 5 years looking for a job is way too long....who can afford to do that?? I'm an emotional wreck...gosh, what a toll the interviews and smiling at everyone you meet and waiting and hoping and mailing and wishing and dreaming has taken!! I need a real job with benefits so my children can be provided for. I tell you this, because this is a reality some of us must face. It's not about the $$, but I worked so hard. I just wanna say hang in there if you can, but know that you're not alone, if you need to take a detour.

*Annie* is offline   Reply With Quote

Elise82

You speak the truth
Old 06-14-2006, 12:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Congratulations on your interview. I hope you get the job. (BTW - what did you find out about the museum educator job you applied for?)

Looking for teaching jobs in a competitive market is really draining. As for me, I feel like I can't really compete anyway since my last principal's "recommendation" letter sounded lukewarm. I feel like I don't even want to use it! I'm doubting whether I even belong in teaching. I think I have worked really hard in the past just to be a "so-so" teacher. I don't want to/can't afford to sub anymore, either. I, too, need a real job with benefits - whatever that may turn out to be.

Anyway, best wishes with whatever you decide to do!
Elise82 is offline   Reply With Quote

thiswayup

I know what you mean
Old 06-15-2006, 02:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I REALLY need a full-time position for my family. Sure my husband works but they have cut back on raises and we pay more each year for health insurance. Our cars are almost run into the ground and we can't afford even a used one.I thought I was doing well when I subbed a LONG time for one teacher who was very sick. Everyone was all smiles and I have good letters of recommendation. But not one interview. I have emailed the principal to see if I could see the teachers' comments on me, no response. I have new school loans since I went and got another certification, mainly to keep my first one "active" because I had been out of teaching and raising a family. Now I wonder, should I be doing this? What else can I do? All my education is in education! And trying to find a summer job stinks. Everyone assumes you will go back into teaching so why hire you when they can get the younger crowd in. I think it is my midlife crisis/premenopause/hormonal thing happening to me that doesn't help matters.
I have sent the traditional letter of intent for positions, even long-term sub positions I know are coming up and I get passed over. I feel like I need to get right in their faces and ask them what it will take to get an interview. Maybe I am too nice and polite. Maybe I need to "rattle their cages", but that will probably put me on their "do not call" list.
It's crazy, I'm sad and angry and confused. I am glad to see it's not just me. Well, not glad because others are going through this too, but I'm not alone.
thiswayup is offline   Reply With Quote

*Annie*

Thanks Elise
Old 06-15-2006, 01:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I do appreciate your good wishes! The interview went okay. They do second interviews of course, so now it's a waiting game..we shall see....however, they only have part-time positions left! Figures. I can work up to 32hrs she said, but you know, PT gives you no benefits! But I said I'd do part-time......how disappointing! (in this type of job, I'm thinking they'll have openings in the future...)

As far as the museum educator job...yeah well...I have heard nothing from them. I had to send salary requirements, so I'm assuming I was too high. It did sound like a fun job didn't it? Oh well....next!

Let's see what other kinds of non-teaching jobs I can find....it looks like I'm not going to get what I want no matter which way I go! Ugh.

P.S. to thiswayup.....yes, I think nice guys finish last...I've been accused of being too nice too.....my gosh! It's amazing anybody ever gets hired to do anything!!

*Annie*

spoke too soon...
Old 06-16-2006, 01:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

....actually the museum educator job is still up for grabs!!...i have an interview Monday for it (they called today, 10 days after I mailed in the letter)...meanwhile no school districts are calling....of course.