Help

The Job Search

Re: having a Master's hurts

>

*Annie*

Re: having a Master's hurts
Old 06-03-2006, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I too believe having my Master's hurts me in finding a teaching position. An assistant principal told me once that "that's what they say, don't get your master's til after you get a job..etc"....oops...too late for me! But here's a strategy: can we leave it off our resume? My husband asked me this and I dismissed his suggestion, but really, these districts manipulate the system, so why can't we? (I recently saw a post that listed a job AND it said in parentheses "BA, no higher than step 3") Why can't I leave it off my resume...get a teaching job, and then at some point say, "oh by the way, I got my master's yesterday...." (well, not quite like that, but you know what I mean...) Why can't we??

*Annie* is offline   Reply With Quote

Elise82

Don't know, it might come back to "bite" you
Old 06-03-2006, 06:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Let's say they interview you, and then you get the job. Now HR needs to know what degrees you have and your years of experience in order to place you correctly on the payscale. They have to verify it with your transcripts. (Also, don't you have to send unofficial transcripts with your application? We do where we live - so I think it would be difficult to claim something you don't have, as well as claim you have less schooling than you actually do...) I would be afraid that they would be very upset with me (and may even rescind the offer) if they knew I purposely misled them...I'm just saying that I'd be very careful about this...

As for the post you saw that stated you could be no higher than step 3 -it seems like some type of discrimination. That doesn't sound right to me! I've heard of requiring special endorsements, or an MA in reading being preferred for a reading teacher position - but I've never heard of districts outright stating that they want the bare minimum in education and experience! Guess they are financially strapped, huh?
Elise82 is offline   Reply With Quote

*Annie*

Yeah, I know, here's the actual post:
Old 06-03-2006, 07:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Barkhamsted
05/10/2006 Grade 2 - Elementary teacher (BA, Step 3 or less) (FT)

I can't believe they are so blunt about it either!! Yeah, there is something very wrong about the whole idea of wanting to hire the less educated/experienced.....I don't even know where this town is, so I have no idea how rich the district is, but I'm not surprised....that's good o'l Connecticut for ya!
*Annie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Brooke

Brooke

poll here
Old 06-04-2006, 03:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I had my masters and was hired. I started at first step plus master's pay. I wonder what other teachers have found.

dee

Same...
Old 06-04-2006, 05:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Masters step one. I was getting dually certified in elem ed, and the next year was able to be M+15 step 2.

dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Pam-IL

Pam-IL

Me too
Old 06-04-2006, 09:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

MA seem to hurt in the lower districts as they cannot afford to pay a great deal of salary. I am running across this.
The better paying districts like MAs, but there are no jobs there -
of course!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am going to put "initial certificate" on my resume and list graduate school for questions. I'll wait and see what hapens
maryteach

maryteach

I have heard that
Old 06-04-2006, 05:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

principals don't like to hire first year teachers at a master's degree salary, which really does make sense. However, I know of several teachers here who have found first jobs, with a master's. So I don't know how true that is.

It IS sort of strange to say that you've "mastered" something in which you don't even have your first year's experience. As a fifth year teacher, I will tell you that it makes tons more sense to:

1. Teach a few years and decide whether you even LIKE it.
2. Teach a few years and decide if you're ANY GOOD at it.
3. Teach a few years and then get the master's that will truly enhance your teaching and your credentials. Just getting some master's degree, before you have any experience, just because it sounds good or some advisor told you to, could be an expensive, expensive mistake, both in time and money.

teachmo

Classroom
Old 06-04-2006, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

The real experience is in the classroom not the college. I learned more my first year of teaching then four years of college or student teaching taught me. This is the reasoning I have heard behind administration not wanting to pay the high salaries at the beginning. I would suggest being open and honest but be willing to start lower on the pay scale. Contact the district and ask if they are willing to start you lower even if you do not have the Master's degree. Then once you get experience you can move up.
teachmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Miss Melissa

Old 06-04-2006, 07:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

As I was reading your first post about this, I thought the requirements sounded familiar, then with ur next post I knew why!

I'm from CT and I saw that post on CT REAP. My friend and I were discussing it a few weeks ago and we found it odd that they want someone with virtually no experience! My friend applied for the job, I'm not close enough to Barkhampstead.
Miss Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote

SJT

jobs
Old 06-04-2006, 10:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

A few years back when I was looking for a teaching job, I went on a couple of interviews where they asked me if I had any experience because they had to hire a first year teacher, as that was all the budget would allow for. They couldn't afford to pay anyone with experience.
That may be the case with that particular job. Good luck in your job search!

SJT is offline   Reply With Quote

laurab

Masters
Old 06-05-2006, 09:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I am from Connecticut too. I am hoping to hear about two jobs in the next couple of weeks. I have been working in a private school for 20 years. I would like to get a job making close to my present salary.

Years ago, someone told me that a district HAS to pay you for your education, but can put you on any STEP they want. I don't know if this is true or not. I will let you know my experience if I get an offer.

I had a friend who left my school after 20 years and applied for jobs as a psychologist (she has a masters, teacher and school psychologist certification and an administrative degree). She was offered significantly less than the salary she was making as a teacher. She turned them down. They asked if she would mind if they referred her to another district. She agreed and interviewed, but again she was offered at least $15,000 less than she had been making. She turned them down too. They said to let them see what they could do. Within hours, they had contacted the Superintendent and she was offered a salary comparable to what she had been making. I guess they REALLY wanted her.

If I get an offer, I will let you know whether the masters and experience hurt me in regard to salary.

Good luck everyone. Hang in there.
Laura
laurab is offline   Reply With Quote

connieg

not many will pay for the masters
Old 06-05-2006, 01:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Hi,

Here is what I have learned being around a long time:

1. Where you are positioned on the pay scale is often determined by the contract. Districts usually can't arbitrarily put you lower because it can come back to haunt them. Several years back, my district did that and the teachers agreed because a slightly lower salary is better than no job. Then, the district hired the wife of an administrator and gave her all her years. A grievance was filed and a number of teachers who originally agreed to accept the lower pay scale got bumped up.

2. Don't lie on your resume. IT can be grounds for being fired.

3. I personally see little additional value in an inexperienced person with a masters, unless the field requires it. The big universities who are forcing their students to get a masters are doing a huge disservice to them. Get the job and then get the masters.

4. Districts vary from year to year on if they will hire experienced or master's level people. Some years are tighter than others.

5. Some experienced people are worth their weight in gold. Other brand new BA people can do as good or better job than a tired, (young or old) nasty teacher who doesn't try to improve their skills.

Connie
connieg is offline   Reply With Quote

dorothyw61

From my experience it does
Old 06-05-2006, 03:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Here in IL there are a few growing districts that only hire BA candidates right out of school. I did have one administrator tell me that many districts go for the cheaper candidates and do not even consider first year teachers that have their Master's. And from my experience I agree. I do not get many calls for interviews, and when I do it's in a district that knows me personally. I wish universities would let us know that you don't have to get the degree to get the certification. Many schools have alternative certification programs where you are taking master's level courses where you get your certification and it's up to you to choose if you want to complete the Master's.
dorothyw61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kiki

Statistics?
Old 06-05-2006, 03:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

What's that statisitic? Something like half of all teachers leave within 5 years. That's a good reason not to hire at a higher rate. Additionally, as someone stated, in the "real world" there isn't a lot of difference between a BA with no experience and an MA with no experience. I'd head for the classroom first.
Kiki is offline   Reply With Quote
adria

adria

it is a problem
Old 06-06-2006, 05:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Okay picture this I went to a job fair in a few months, to be exact October I will have my Masters in Reading K-12. I have my bachelors in elementary education....when I interviewed with the principlas they wanted a person who was reading endorsed....not reading certfied...

It was not easy landing a job considering that I will soon have my masters..but thank God a principlal hired me after many interviews, and within the interviewed they all mentioned reading endorsement...

I am glad I got the job now before my masters is conferred,,,I can just imagine the hustle.

Oh, I am from Florida where they need thousands of teachers
Pam-IL

Pam-IL

Okay - now what??
Old 06-06-2006, 01:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Well, I'm one of those with a MA -- going back to school for a BA would have taken a longer time that for my MA. Granted my choice.

Okay - so now that I have a MA and 5 years of full time district wide subbing -- am I supposed to return to school now and get a BA?

Not sour grapes, but I'm pretty low right now being a bus boy at Panera - I can't think of anything more low.

newbieteach

Old 06-06-2006, 01:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Well this "having a masters hurts" situation must be different around here. My friend had an interview for an FMD position at an elementary school recently. She was up against a couple new teachers and a teacher with a masters. In this situation the teacher with the masters got the position. I guess it just depends on the area.
newbieteach is offline   Reply With Quote

teachmo

newbieteach
Old 06-06-2006, 07:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Was the teacher with a Master's already a teacher? Did that teacher have experience? That would make her more marketable. They don't want to pay that salary with no actual experience to back up the degree.
teachmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Ophelia

Ophelia

2 Masters
Old 06-16-2006, 02:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I think it really depends on the area and the needs of the school/district. I have two Masters': one in English (taught at a University) and one in Teaching (this is how I became certified to teach at the secondary level). I just graduated and have been applying everywhere within an hour's drive. I was recently hired at a district that needed someone with a Masters in order to teach dual credit classes. The principal said that money is not an issue, and I know this isn't the case in many districts.

I thought I would be unemployable since I am at the very top (or right) of the pay scale at step one (no secondary experience). For those of you who have M.A.'s, please do not get too discouraged. Getting an advanced degree is NEVER a bad decision.