The Job Search

who would you hire?

>

TeacherBB

TeacherBB

who would you hire?
Old 07-08-2008, 10:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

For a fifth grade teaching job in a public school.

Candidate A:
Lovely young lady of about 25, long flowing blonde locks of hair that shimmer in the golden sun. Tan perfect legs and a killer body and a nice business suit on top of all that.

One year teaching in a catholic school. Bag full of sample lessons with a great portfolio chock full of pictures and documents. Energetic and great personality. Laughed a lot in her interview.

Candidate B:
Cute, short chubby lady of 35, medium length thick, dark brown hair pulled back gently with a headband. Very nice outfit of a skirt and top.

Eight Years of experience teaching in public school in grades 3-5. No portfolio, but gave good answers to the interview team. Energetic and great personality to boot.

AMDucky

Experienced
Old 07-08-2008, 10:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think most schools would go w/ more experienced candidate! Luckily after a LT job, I was offered one of the openings this year, but the same district last year told me that they were only looking to hire "experienced" teachers. I only had sub & student tching experience.
AMDucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Rich

Rich

Old 07-08-2008, 10:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Based on my experience, candidate A would have been given the job.

I being a "husky" balding male would not have even been granted an interview.

dmamec

Old 07-08-2008, 10:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Rich, in our school you might have been! We are wanting male teachers in the elementary so bad!

(note--so "BAD", not so "BALD"! Hair optional in our district! )
dmamec is offline   Reply With Quote

dmamec

Old 07-08-2008, 10:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Forgot to say--there is absolutely no way to pick who we would hire based on your information. So much depends on the make up of the team, the person's ability to fit in to THAT particular slot, etc.

portfolio, appearance, etc. are secondary to how the candidates "match" the team, school, and district.

It's never as easy as we would like it to be...

dmamec is offline   Reply With Quote

MACMama

Depends
Old 07-08-2008, 11:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

It depends on the interviewer. Many schools tend to hire those with less experience because they don't have to pay as much. Still others want the experienced teacher and will pay the price. It seems like you are asking if schools hire based solely on looks. No, I don't think so. Sure, if you go in dressed as a slob and haven't had a shower, that would affect your prospects. If you are dressed appropriately, know your educational lingo, and come across as confident, that is what the interviewer wants. May I ask, are you one of the above scenarios?
MACMama is offline   Reply With Quote

tbell0407

Probably the experience
Old 07-08-2008, 11:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

but as someone said it truly depends on the interview and how I felt they would work with the grade level team. Why does what they look like matter?
tbell0407 is offline   Reply With Quote

Bernski

Old 07-08-2008, 01:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Depends on each school district and the people involved in hiring.

I've come to find out that experience isn't always a good thing because you're higher on the pay scale. Some districts need to stay within a budget for hiring.

One principal didn't hire me because I was white and he honestly told me so. He said he wanted to hire me but they had to meet a quota.

The job I just got seemed to be all about the experience I had. The principal was impressed with it and I thin it made me stand out.

Summary: Never know what they are really looking for or the reason why they make their decisions.
Bernski is offline   Reply With Quote
TeacherBB

TeacherBB

I am
Old 07-08-2008, 02:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

candidate B. I was just wondering what people thought out of curiosity based on past experience. IN the past I have been overlooked for less experienced younger people. (not just beautiful people). I am higher on the pay scale...boy I hope the district I interviewed for want experienced people! I agree with pps that looks should not matter.

mentorteach

Old 07-08-2008, 04:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Tatum, if you had a colorful portfolio too, you would have had a notch above your competition PLUS the experience. Some people can indeed be blinded by the looks part, esp. if they are attractive AND bubbly. Knowing that, if you are concerned, get a portfolio done and try to wow them with the background knowledge you have, that you can actually IMPLEMENT all of the strategies newer candidates are just ideally talking about.

mentorteach is offline   Reply With Quote
TeacherBB

TeacherBB

Old 07-08-2008, 05:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

good advice mentorteach....Maybe I will have to start compiling a portfolio...

Bry1638

Old 07-08-2008, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Hey, I am curious...how did you know about the other person interviewed? How'd you know that there was a lot of laughing? Did you talk to her afterwards?
Bry1638 is offline   Reply With Quote

Meekee

Old 07-08-2008, 06:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

candidate B for sure.Public teaching and 8 years
Meekee is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceK

Old 07-08-2008, 11:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Tatum, I am wishing you good luck!

I am not sure, if the answers candidate A gave in her interview were also great like Candidate B, it would come down to personality, experience, and possibly pay scale, depending on what the district is going through right now.

For all the cute 30-something public school teachers out there, good luck!
GraceK is offline   Reply With Quote

AMDucky

Old 07-08-2008, 11:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Did you try to trick us w/ your avatar?
AMDucky is offline   Reply With Quote

phantomteach

job
Old 07-09-2008, 06:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Welllll, if it was OUR school, the lovely lady of 25 would not only get the postition, she would get anything her little heart desires! But either candidate sounds like they would be good choices...
phantomteach is offline   Reply With Quote
TeacherBB

TeacherBB

bry
Old 07-09-2008, 07:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I was waiting in the office for my turn and she was before me. The office door was right near me and I heard the laughing from everyone. I heard her the most though. I spoke with her a little before she went in. She seemed really nice and energetic on top of looking fabulous.
TeacherBB

TeacherBB

Old 07-09-2008, 07:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Actually my avatar was Elle Woods from Legally Blonde for a while, but she just happened to look like the girl who went in before me. I needed a change in avatar and I made one to look like me instead of Elle Woods. ha ha ...I guess I did trick you!

cvt

hire
Old 07-09-2008, 08:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Your post brings back some bad memories. If it had depended on a principal I had 8 years ago, it would have been candidate A. That candidate would have fit his profile of what a perfect teacher should LOOK like. He was trying to build an entire staff that fit that look. Even his wife was a clone.

In the process he was trying to oust those who didn't look like that by disregarding their experience and making their lives miserable through impossible demands. Hiring teams were a joke, because we all knew what he was looking for: young, blonde, leggy, with very little experience, AND ready to party.

By the time he himself was fired for reasons I won't go into here, he had one quarter of the staff that looked like the Barbie twins. They all left within a year after he was gone.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

3girlsandaboy

Scary times for everyone...
Old 07-09-2008, 08:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I believe that it is difficult for anyone to get a teaching job nowadays regardless of looks, credentials, etc. I graduated this past May. I have spoken to several of my classmates this summer and not one of them have gotten a job yet. These were students who were thought highly of in the college of education and whom you would think would immediately get jobs. They are all really frustrated and scared.

I got hired in late April for this next year and I knew when it happened how LUCKY I was. I think I am on a level playing filed with other new graduates. I believe what helped me was the fact that 2 of my children go to the school. They already knew me. I am not for one second going to take this for granted, like I said--I was lucky.

I think it is sad that who you know is more important than glowing recommendations.
3girlsandaboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Bry1638

Old 07-09-2008, 10:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Oh that has to be nerveracking to meet your competition like that! And to hear the interview. Ick.
Bry1638 is offline   Reply With Quote

JMonk

i agree with PP
Old 07-09-2008, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Quote:
I think it is sad that who you know is more important than glowing recommendations.
I agree with this statement too... we'll all find something..
JMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
TeacherBB

TeacherBB

bry
Old 07-11-2008, 06:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

It was a bit nerveracking...she and I talked a little before she went in and that's how I found out she has one yr experience teachign in a catholic school. I think if the district is looking to hire for the least money, they should go with her....she was very nice and had a killer portfolio! However, I feel they should go with me! Becuase I am me! lol